Marry an Indonesian girl and get a 25 year visa.

I'm not an expert, but once you have an "O" and are getting annual extensions to stay, are further visa runs really required?

No. Once you convert your visa to a marriage visa (it doesn't say that anywhere on the stamp) you don't need to do visa runs, just report to immigration every 90 days, and you are entitled to a work permit.

You have to apply for an extension to this visa every year at a cost of 1900 baht.

SDM

No visa runs but you are not entitled to a wp although you can get a wp with a extension based on marriage if you meet all the other silly requirements.

Indonesia is not such a friendly place. Once you get over the morons wailing from towers all over the place 5 times a day you still have to deal with a very anachronistic population, rampant corruption and all the other beauties of the third world. Other than in Bali, foreigners cannot own property and even in Bali the title they get is a right to use ( Hak Guna) and not a right to possess (Hak Milik).

<deleted>.

Outside of the urban monsters such as Jakarta Indonesian people are warm, friendly and generous.

The girls are every bit as stunning as Thai ladies, and some of the ethnic groups, such as the Sundanese, are streaks ahead of Thais in the looks department.

With regard to the third world problems, they are just as prevalent here in LOS, but, I would argue, even more dangerous because of the level of sophistication and the na luat of the average som chai.

But this thread has already been pulled way of course....what the hell has the 8 steps to enlightenment got to do with the fact that if you marry an Indonesian girl you get a 25 year visa?

That is the point of this thread.

If you marry an Indonesian girl you can get a 25 year visa, and with it some sense of place with your family.

Here in Thailand you get annual extensions for life.

Thought this was a Thailand forum.....NOT an Indonesian one.

AND maybe this topic would be better in the Visa section

Be that as it may......Marry an American women and you can permanent residency, work, and own property! and after an certain time can even get citizenship!

Have great weather in Florida, New Mexico, Arizona etc.....with CHEAP places to live TOO!

how about marrying a british girl?... then you can get a british passport in a few years... with global warming it will be tropical soon, you can own property/business/whatever, and they have the best fish & chips in the world...!

Interesting to hear of these cheap and easy Indo visas.

I have 3 friends retired there and they have to get a visa every year. Takes a few weeks and a bit of palm greasing.

Their Embassy tried to persuade me to retire there and gave me the info sheet on the requirements.

My wife (Indo) called one of the few approved visa agents on that list who said he could get me a 1 year visa (renewable) for $900.

A bottle of Gordons Gin is also about $80

Guess that's why we live in Thailand and just visit Indo now and then.

Off topic, but as an alternative Sri Lanka will provide citizenship if married to a Sri Lankan citizen & reside in Sri Lanka for minimum of seven years. Beautiful country, clean beaches and seas with good food.

Thailand only wants Westerners that are of benefit to the country; it is not a grazing ground of charitable status for those who want to escape their mundane lives back home. For me and others in similar situations, we obtain our incomes from abroad, pensions and so on, spend it in Thailand and in return we receive a much better standard of living for cheaper, it`s a give and take relationship. This is how the system works or is suppose to work.

Unfortunately for Thailand, the world has moved on from the time when a country can behave in any way it likes.

Most of the civilized world accepts the basic human right of a family to live together without problems.

When a foreigner marries a Thai citizen, Thailand should honour their human rights.

Not only the right to live as a family, but the right of all family members to work without restriction on their occupation.

Human rights are not about charity or income.

Guys really marry because of love ?

Feel pity on them to be so stupid to believe that love will last...

Your the one the most of us feel pity for.....maybe we should just realise that there are some stupid people out there instead of feeling pity for You.

"It is a FIVE YEAR visa with a five extensions for a total of 25 years stay."

Someone is 'math challenged. Perhaps it's me. That appears to be 30 years total.

"It is about the fact that the Indonesian Government has recently acknowledge that a better visa (residency) solution should be provided to expats married to an indonesian citizen. They should be commended for their family friendly stance."

Without really knowing why they are doing that, it could be because they don't get enough money from those that currently want to live there.

"Here in Thailand expats can only dream of a 25 year visa..."

Can they do more than that there? I read the OP as a single 5 year visa - plus extensions.

Wym

My apologies.

Your comments on my other thread were lucid and well informed. You are obviously a wise bloke.

As an expat I view all potential places to live as products.

There products include various facets and attributes such as pricing, visa availability and ease of use, ammenities, dating opportunities....etc...etc...

The overwhelmingly negative facet of product Thailand for me is their visas.

I find their policies disgustingly anti family. Forced visa runs for O visas are a relevant example. Absence of a long term spouse visa is another.

How about Thais wanting to live in your country?. They face far more hurdles. So if you think Thailand visa regulations are disgusting, then in comparison visa regulations in your country must be positively revolting

Wym

My apologies.

Your comments on my other thread were lucid and well informed. You are obviously a wise bloke.

There products include various facets and attributes such as pricing, visa availability and ease of use, ammenities, dating opportunities....etc...etc...

I find their policies disgustingly anti family. Forced visa runs for O visas are a relevant example. Absence of a long term spouse visa is another.

How about Thais wanting to live in your country?. They face far more hurdles. So if you think Thailand visa regulations are disgusting, then in comparison visa regulations in your country must be positively revolting

Piffle.

Thais who marry a westerner and live in his or her country get access to permanent residency, welfare and enjoy the same legal rights and status as the general population.

What rights do I get if I marry a Thai and stay in Thailand?

Wym

My apologies.

Are there more Thais living in Los Angeles or Chiang Mai?

Why would I marry an Indonesian woman just to stay in the country for up to 25 years without permitted to work?

I am currently doing now my Business Visa for USD 1200 per year in Indonesia (Bali) as my partners turned down Bangkok for the next internet start-up and they chose Bali.

A lot of paper work I can tell you but my luck is I speak Indonesian.

Also my light work of consultancy work in Thailand with a None Imm B visa is fine. In Indonesia it would be illegal and can bring you in up to 5 years in jail.

Even if you have a five year visa with a spouse in Indonesia - you are not permitted to work

A none immigrant O visa actually allows you to find work in Thailand and get a work permit.

Forget Indonesia but of course if you have the cash anything is possible in Indonesia as Indonesia is an elephant when it comes to corruption compared to Thailand.

Working without a work permit in Indonesia can be have fines of up to 20,000 USD or jail if the orang puteh (farang) is unable to cough up this money on the spot.

Edited by MobileContent

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How do they treat retirees? Long term visa as well? I may have put myself out to pasture but I'm still grazing the fields.biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png alt=biggrin.png width=20 height=20>

As far as I know no retirement visas

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

At my age, circumcision is out of the question!

Only Muslim's need to chop chop. Balinese are not Muslim's and the Christian's do take you if you have the finances to help the family, the buffalo's, build a house of the hut etc.

I met three farangs that came to Thailand and Singapore over the past 8 years that have been totally broke after living Indonesia. 2 Christian's from Sumatra, 1 Hindu from Bali and 1 Muslim from Java.

Thinks we've worked a new, maybe definitive, way of working out the cost of living in different countries. Body parts. So far Indonesia is way out there. It only wants a foreskin - and is welcome to use it as a fan belt, though I'm unsure my dimensions are appropriate. The UK, on the other hand, wants an arm and a leg.

Sounds truly wonderful- however who on earth would want to live in a Muslim country- of course they would welcome my boyfriend with open arms- think the preferred methods of punishment are throwing off a cliff or having a large wall collapsed on you.

Think will stick to Thailand.

Indonesia is not such a friendly place. Once you get over the morons wailing from towers all over the place 5 times a day you still have to deal with a very anachronistic population, rampant corruption and all the other beauties of the third world. Other than in Bali, foreigners cannot own property and even in Bali the title they get is a right to use ( Hak Guna) and not a right to possess (Hak Milik).

Indonesia a is a great place to be but once again as in Thailand you must know how to speak the language.

Bali - The Balinese people are great and behave like the Cambodians and even Thai's.

Java - The Javanese are almost like the Thais from the North and Northeast. You will be welcomed in their home

Sumatra - They are a bid rude specially in the North of Sumatra but us further you travel to the South of Sumatra you will find them as great as in Java and stay away from the tourist centre's.

Sundanese - Some of the greatest Indonesians I met.

WOW.....interesting thread .....marry someone just because you can get a longer visa and less hassle....NOT because you love them.

cheesy.gif

He is saying you can marry for love and have a loyal partner in Indo.Of course Thai women always, if not usually,marry farang for love. Hahahaahah

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Of course Thai women always, if not usually,marry farang for love. Hahahaahah"

Yes, they travel thousands of miles to marry someone way out of their league because no one is willing to cohabit with them at home without some inducement ... like a gun to the head or a pile of cash. The flights to the US, Europe and Australia are filled with Thai women in search of ... wait, do I have this the right way 'round?

Hopefully people will comprehend that I'm being facetious without demeaning myself by inserting: "Hahahaahah."

I'm sure the Indonesian women desperate enough to marry men whose main objective in life is to get a hassle-free visa are far better catches than the desperate Thai women whose only virtue is an easy path to a visa.

And of course there's this possibility hanging over your heads, if not this year then maybe soon ..

Bye Bye, Bintang? Bali Braces for Proposed Indonesian Alcohol Ban

Islamists push for prohibition in the world’s largest Muslim-majority country.

Draft legislation that was submitted to the Indonesian Parliament earlier this year, seeking to ban the sale and consumption of alcohol, may be signed into law in 2014

http://thediplomat.com/2013/10/bye-bye-bintang-bali-braces-for-proposed-indonesian-alcohol-ban/

Edited by Suradit69

"Here in Thailand expats can only dream of a 25 year visa..."

Can they do more than that there? I read the OP as a single 5 year visa - plus extensions.

I do not think there is a limit on extensions here in Thailand.