Protest leader Suthep rejects involvement in civil war

webfact

Protest leader Suthep rejects involvement in civil war
By Digital Content

13938091113326.jpg

BANGKOK, March 3 – Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban said demonstrators would disperse and return home in case the political dispute becomes civil war.

“If the conflict escalates to a civil war after pro-government forces are out on the street, it will be the military and police responsibilities in dealing the situation, not us,” he said on stage at Lumpini last night.

Mr Suthep, secretary general of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), made his daily speech at Lumpini stage after rallies at Pathumwan, Ratchaprasong, Silom and Asoke were moved to a single site there.

The rally venues on Chaeng Wattana Road, led by Buddhist monk Phra Buddha Issara; on Rajdamnoen Avenue, organised by the Network of Students and People for Reform of Thailand, and at the Phan Fah Bridge by the Dhamma Army remained intact.

Mr Suthep said caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has to resign, or go to jail if she insists on staying in office.

“If she rejects both options, it’s possible she may assign civilian forces to start a civil war. If that is the case, I will simply tell people to return home. It’s the duties of the military and police to suppress rebels,” he said.

He said PDRC protesters would continue their pressure and offensive operations against the Shinawatra family’s businesses and dissuade civil servants from working for the Thaksin regime from today onwards. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-03-03

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are closer to civil war than I ever thought possible here but I still don't think there are enough Thai people stupid enough to go down that road. There are a few cowardly terrorists willing to kill children but I bet they would not have what it takes to fight facing an enemy that fights back.

"......I bet they would not have what it takes to fight facing an enemy that fights back."

Yes, and I wonder how the Thai army would deal with an enemy that was able to fight back

• Like 1

it’s possible she may assign civilian forces to start a civil war. If that is the case, I will simply tell people to return home. It’s the duties of the military and police to suppress rebels

he believes she may "assign civilian forces" ?

a trip to the psychiatrist is called for poor fellow

• Like 2

The man continues to be a complete pudding.

Every time he opens his mouth it's a lopsided attempt at incitement of violence.

We will stop protesting if there is a civil war!

If a civil war starts (and it won't), you'd prefer they stayed on and added fuel to the fire?

• Like 1

A case of creeping delusion on Suthep's part. If he wasn't such a thug with blood on his hands you'd almost feel sorry for him.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You mean you do not agree with the

"Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban said demonstrators would disperse and return home in case the political dispute becomes civil war."

it’s possible she may assign civilian forces to start a civil war. If that is the case, I will simply tell people to return home. It’s the duties of the military and police to suppress rebels

The government frequently uses "independent" puppet groups to make threats and raise issues that they can't put on the table themselves, eg. "Republic of Lanna" and recruiting 600,000 "guards". A cynic might think they also use such groups to instigate violence against their political opponents, while publicly condemning the attacks.

I'm sure there's a forum rule about rumours, that's two topics now you've been rumour mongering, but your posts are entertaining to say the least.

How about just letting the rest of the country speak for itself, have a snap election, protests stand down, no blockading of the ballot boxes, and let democracy take it course, winner takes all, the loser just shuts the <deleted> up and walks away whether they be red or yellow.

And maybe, just maybe Thailand can begin repairing its reputation and start moving forwards again.??

• Like 2

Well considering that she has not been seen or heard from for the past few days and is allegedly holed up somewhere in the red shirt heartlands, possibly with Thaksin who will be illegally in the country.

They know their days are numbered, and this is because they know that the NACC has all the evidence they need to probably not only impeach YL and a hell of a lot of PTPers, but also instantly arrest them and refuse bail because of the precedent that Thaksin set back in 2008 with his absconding.

Trust me... they know exactly how much trouble they are in, and it is a lot.

This is playing out exactly how I predicted months ago... The courts will bring down the government, the red shirts will be willing to lay down their lives (some of them) and Thaksin will rule from the north with an incitement to split the country. His only hope of coming back to Thailand in a power position.

If people on here think that Suthep is not talking with the army, they are poorly informed about how this situation is going out of control.

Wednesday will be the first opportunity for the government and YL to be booted out, totally legally under the fabric of the constitution. Suthep and the army know that should this happen, the reds are going to assemble their forces to attack Bangkok.

Why do you think the protest sites have been closed down yet all the army checkpoints remain????? Because the site's removal were making way for the army to be able to rapidly deploy against the red attackers.

Why do you think Suthep is ordering protesters to go home?.... To remove them from being a target of the red's attack and to keep them from being mistakenly seen by the army as red attackers... meaning that the only mobs on the street will be red shirts, a much easier job for the army to control under martial law.

Suthep is not stupid, he know exactly what is happening now and what is going to happen.

Once the red army now being assembled 'as we speak' see their government gone, they will undoubtedly rise up against what they call elite backed courts and will want to react. Thaksin is priming the northerners with hints about a seperatist state, and he will expolit this situation to its fullest potential. He will have this army at his disposal, he will use his money and Cambodian and Burmese influence to flood the north with weapons with which to arm his rebel force..... This will be his final throw of the dice, and we all know he is more than capable of it.

<deleted>..... Why else do you think Yingluck and the PTP have been keeping very tight lipped about the campaign for secession at the moment when everyone expects them to speak out against it owing to the fact it will bring nothing but misery, death and destitution to the north..... answer: Because they are actually the ones pulling the strings and involved in it up to their eyeballs.

I don't expect everyone to agree, but I am sure all those with an ounce of savvy will agree 100%.

Edit::

Oh and by the way, this attempt to create huge civil unrest will NOT be run from Chiang Mai, it will be run from Dubai. Why else do you thing that Chiang Mai airport has 'all of a sudden' decided to stay open on a 24 hour basis?... no longer any need to wait for them to open before certain people decide it is time to use their services.

Oh such tripe... But ramble on anyway...

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A civil war or even the though of it would not have surfaced if they were no activities engineered for the purpose of overthrowing a people elected government with the king as the HOS. They would be no counter activities if people are treated equal socially, politically, and judicially.

Suthep and the dem and its pdrc/pcad and other "Thaksin-hate" groups should not even worry about it if they return home and abide by democratic system with the king as the HOS.

Confrontational attitude, activities outside of the constitution from all sides had proven not solving the problems and divides of Thailand. We can argue ourselves into winning an argument but what is the point of that winning if we lost something that is precious to all of us.

Talk and negotiation in confrontation mode is no talk and negotiation at all. Without an equal administration and enforcement of rule of law without fear and favour, no agreement and arrangement will ever be sustainable. When rule of law does not prevail, everyone begins to write their own laws.

• Like 2

A case of creeping delusion on Suthep's part. If he wasn't such a thug with blood on his hands you'd almost feel sorry for him.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

actually he is showing a lot of sense, the protesters are trying to end the corruption and do not want to take the country into anarchy but the reds on the other hand are threatening war if they do not get what they want, this is the difference between the two groups. One wants a better Thailand for everyone while the other wants the country to do as they say when they say it and have the "reds" tell everyone what they can and cant do.

That's not a fair assessment. The reality is that the democrats have boycotted and tried to bully people into not taking part of the election, because they realize they could not win it. They are instead trying to overthrow the government after they lost yet another election. This has been going on repeatedly since the coup. Election held, democrats lose, they look for a way to get back into power. That is exactly what is happening again and has been for months now. Let's not forget Suthep was telling people to kidnap the prime minister a month ago. He is very much a radical, and the idea that his minority should be able to overthrow the majority through creating anarchy very much showcases that.

The hardline reds aren't any better. I won't condone some of their chatter either. The truth is though that most of the country isn't buying into either extreme. But you have this escalation because:

- The democrats want power, but the only way for them to obtain it is by taking it without an election. So they sight corruption, when the corruption clearly exists on both sides. This was a mistake I made when I came here, I saw how corrupt Thaksin was and wanted him out. Over the years I've come to realize they are just as corrupt on both sides. The democrats focus on corruption, and on no more Shinawatras in power isn't really about those issues at all. It's about finding a way to remove them from power so that they can regain it. Of course they don't want any more of Thaksin's family running because they will win even if they lack experience (see Yingluck). The reality though is that is a democracy. The majority rules, and the majority prefers his party.

- The democrats have done everything in their power to be undemocratic. From the unelected council idea, to the knowledge of how they last got into power, refusal to run, and the blocking of voting booths. If anything has led the country towards civil war it is that. How can you honestly say the reds have taken them there? They are elected. They want to continue the democratic process which is to give people a vote. How is that telling people what they can and can't do? And how is blocking voting booths and trying to insert your own people into power enforcing the will of the power?

- The hardline reds are now reacting to what is happening here and doing it in a very wrong manner. They aren't helping matters at all and are making them worse. But they are reacting to what has already happened. I don't at all condone it but your blaming the reactor rather than the instigator.

Edited by jcsmith
  • Like 2