Four tourists hurt in Phuket minibus crash, tyre blowout blamed

webfact

Four tourists hurt in Phuket minibus crash, tyre blowout blamed
Eakkapop Thongtub

1393820359_1.jpg
Rescue workers battle to extract the seriously injured Sulaiman Udom from his minibus.

PHUKET: -- Four tourists and three Thais were injured when two tour minibuses crashed on Phra Phuket Kaew Rd, near the Tesco-Lotus on the bypass road, around 11.30 pm last night (March 2).

Police said Sulaiman Udom, 45, from Phuket Maikhao Saku Co was driving a minibus toward Patong when it was hit by another, leased to Tez Tour, being driven by Sitthichai Chuayjan, 36, who lost control and crashed through the median barrier.

A spokesperson for the owning company said a tyre blowout was to blame for Sitthichai losing control.

Mr Sulaiman was seriously injured in the crash and Mr Sitthichai suffered a broken leg. Mr Sitthichai’s wife, Papassara Tanode, was in the passenger seat; both her legs were broken in the crash. Both drivers were stuck in their vehicles and had to be extractedby rescue workers.

The four tourists in Mr Sulaiman’s minibus suffered moderate injuries and were taken to Bangkok Hospital. They were named as Khaled Gaba, Elaty Thadee, Omar Mohe and Alaoui Mbaerha.

The head of the company which owns the minibus Mr Sitthichai was driving told The Phuket News this morning, “The driver finished working at 2pm. When the accident happened, he was not on duty. Now the driver and his wife are in Vachira Hospital.”

She said the driver was covered by insurance, and believed his wife was as well.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/four-tourists-hurt-in-phuket-minibus-crash-tyre-blowout-blamed-44914.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-03-03

Tyre blowout, brakes failed, cruise control malfunctioned, somebody else's fault, never my reckless driving.............coffee1.gifI

I agree 100%. It is always a brake failure or a tyre blowout, not my problem. Where is the basic 3 point inspection before you get behind the wheel of a public transport vehicle. Inspect the tyres, inspect the brakes, inspect the lights and indicators. Is there ever a breath test prior to the shift?

• Like 1

At what speed??????

That's the real question, how fast must he have been going for a "blow-out" to cause him to go straight through the mid-road barrier? of course no-one will ever know TIT...

Tyre blowout, brakes failed, cruise control malfunctioned, somebody else's fault, never my reckless driving.............coffee1.gifI

I agree 100%. It is always a brake failure or a tyre blowout, not my problem. Where is the basic 3 point inspection before you get behind the wheel of a public transport vehicle. Inspect the tyres, inspect the brakes, inspect the lights and indicators. Is there ever a breath test prior to the shift?

The only "breath test" here is, "if the driver is breathing - he can drive."

Tyre blowout, brakes failed, cruise control malfunctioned, somebody else's fault, never my reckless driving.............coffee1.gif

Well at least the broken legs prevented drivers from doing runners.....

Nothing like some good, old fun and jokes about the pain of others. Someday, someone may make light of your pain and hopefully your family won't read it.

Think,Think, Think.

In the USA I have had many tires go flat on the road in 40 years of driving. I have never lost control of the vehicle. It's amazing how accidents are always caused by mechanical failures in Thailand and its never proposed by a trained mechanic but by the owner of the vehicle,hmmm. Guess its just bad luck?

• Like 2

In the USA I have had many tires go flat on the road in 40 years of driving. I have never lost control of the vehicle. It's amazing how accidents are always caused by mechanical failures in Thailand and its never proposed by a trained mechanic but by the owner of the vehicle,hmmm. Guess its just bad luck?

Evil spirits (and liquors)...

Correct - I had a 'blow out' at 75MPH on the motorway in the UK in an SUV - still never crashed......

Yes i know i was breaking the speed limit!

Safety inspection complete boss, my phone has a full charge and I'm wearing my best getaway shoes wai.gif

• Like 1

Briggsy, on 03 Mar 2014 - 11:44, said:

Tyre blowout, brakes failed, cruise control malfunctioned, somebody else's fault, never my reckless driving.............coffee1.gif

Ever noticed, never a photo of the "blown" tire or an interview with the passengers, one needs to ask why. It seems as though the truth is deliberately hidden by the media.

Benmart, on 03 Mar 2014 - 19:37, said:
x5david, on 03 Mar 2014 - 12:27, said:
Briggsy, on 03 Mar 2014 - 11:44, said:

Well at least the broken legs prevented drivers from doing runners.....

Nothing like some good, old fun and jokes about the pain of others. Someday, someone may make light of your pain and hopefully your family won't read it.

Think,Think, Think.

Benmart, lighten up, or you will have a breakdown. We become desensitized due to high levels of exposure, I guess you wouldn't be so forgiving if you or your family/friends were in the van.