Sending money

farang1979

western have been notoriously a rip off for years but they get away with it because its fast and easy etc

bank transfer probably work out cheaper if it doesnt have to be instant like emergency cash etc

Don't currently have a bank account hence why I need to look at "wiring it". Have you used anyone apart from WU you could recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Depends entirely on the amount ? small amount go western union, be more specific with amount you may get better info.

Don't know at this stage just looking for general info as recommendations...

western have been notoriously a rip off for years but they get away with it because its fast and easy etc

bank transfer probably work out cheaper if it doesnt have to be instant like emergency cash etc

Don't currently have a bank account hence why I need to look at "wiring it". Have you used anyone apart from WU you could recommend?

you only have the choice of western union or moneygram

both charge relatively high fees but you could compare them to see which one rips you off less than the other

you only have the choice of western union or moneygram

both charge relatively high fees but you could compare them to see which one rips you off less than the other

Haha. Ok cheers will bear both in mind.

Easiest way and cheapest way may be to do a TT or EFT. Have the funds sent by a collegue or friend who has a bank account in Thailand. Just go to the bank with your friend and complete the paper work there and then. Just give the money to your friend and he can put it into his account , you fill in the details just using him as the sender.

Cheaper & will arrive in 3-4 business days.wai2.gif

Easiest way and cheapest way may be to do a TT or EFT. Have the funds sent by a collegue or friend who has a bank account in Thailand. Just go to the bank with your friend and complete the paper work there and then. Just give the money to your friend and he can put it into his account , you fill in the details just using him as the sender.

Thanks dude. Forgive my ignorance but what's a TT and EFT?

Thanks dude. Forgive my ignorance but what's a TT and EFT?

tt is old fashioned bank transfer :)

eft is electronic fund transfer

You need a bank account on both ends to take advantage of the cheaper (for larger amounts) regular bank SWIFT wire transfer. And it can take 2-5 business days to clear.

WU takes a hefty amount but is instant, just need the correct name to match ID and the transaxtion number they give you.

You need a bank account on both ends to take advantage of the cheaper (for larger amounts) regular bank SWIFT wire transfer. And it can take 2-5 business days to clear.

WU takes a hefty amount but is instant, just need the correct name to match ID and the transaxtion number they give you.

For something like 6,000 baht how much would they charge?

its country dependant but used to be 10-15% as they make money from conversion rates as well

its country dependant but used to be 10-15% as they make money from conversion rates as well

Ok not too bad a percentage I guess if it's still that. They have to make a buck somehow I guess.

Tiny money like that you're better off setting up PayPal - but that takes time

And the recepient needs to have a PayPal account which they don't. Had crossed my mind though. Thanks pal.

I second that...if you're not in a hurry, PayPal works like a charm, and is by FAR the cheapest method. Yeah, you get shaved a little on the exchange rate, but that's true with any electronic bank transfer as well.

I send money (several hundreds of USD) to Thailand every month using PayPal; costs me about 1.50 USD to send $300. Just have to wait 3-4 days for the (free) transfer from my regular bank to PayPal, it goes to my friend's Thai PayPal account instantly, then my friend has to wait about 4-5 days for the (free) transfer to their Thai bank account.

I second that...if you're not in a hurry, PayPal works like a charm, and is by FAR the cheapest method. Yeah, you get shaved a little on the exchange rate, but that's true with any electronic bank transfer as well.

I send money (several hundreds of USD) to Thailand every month using PayPal; costs me about 1.50 USD to send $300. Just have to wait 3-4 days for the (free) transfer from my regular bank to PayPal, it goes to my friend's Thai PayPal account instantly, then my friend has to wait about 4-5 days for the (free) transfer to their Thai bank account.

Thanks dude. Does the recipient have to have a PayPal account to receive the money? Been a while since I used Paypal...

Thanks dude. Does the recipient have to have a PayPal account to receive the money? Been a while since I used Paypal...

Yes, the people on both ends have to have PayPal accounts linked to the bank accounts in their respective countries.

Yes, the people on both ends have to have PayPal accounts linked to the bank accounts in their respective countries.

Ok cool thanks for confirming.

• Like 1