Visa to chiang mai from UK

Want to live in chiang mai for 1 year (from UK), have questions as to most effective way to obtain visa

- Where in UK do I apply for 90 day tourist visa? How long does it take?

- What is cheapest/ most effective way to do visa runs from chiang mai?

- Will I have problems renting an apartment/house for 12 months with only a tourist visa?

Many thanks in advance

staple

I would apply for a triple emtry tourist visa. If issued just before you leave and used properly you can get almost 270 days permission to stay with 2 border runs and 3 30 day extensions, Apply at the Embassy in London or at one of the Hopnorary consulates. After you have used all of the entries you can apply for a new visa in Laos, or do border runs and get 30 day visa exempt entries to complete your year.The closest border crossing is Mai Sai, bus or van. You won't have any problem getting an appartment with a tourist visa. The hororary consulates are here:

United Kingdom

Birmingham Exchange Bldgs,
Stephenson Place,
Birmingham, B2 4NN Mr Geoff Howard Tel & Fax
+44 (0) 121 643 9481 Cardiff Empire House,
Mount Stuart Square,

Cardiff CF1 6DN Mr. John Edward Iles Tel (441222) 456777
Fax (441222) 465777 Glassgow Pacific House,
70 Wellington Street,

Glassgow G2 6SB Mr. Alexander Donald Stewart Tel (44141) 248-6677
Fax(44141) 221-0255 Hull James Bell House,
Connaught Road, Kingswoodt,

Hull, HU7 3AQ Mr. Alan Paul Taylor Tel (441482) 329925
Fax (441482) 580588 Liverpool Boodies House
35 Lord Street,

Liverpool L2 9SQ Mr. Nicholas Wainright Tel (44151) 2550504
(44151) 3426366
Fax (44151) 2551070 Dublin, Ireland Royal Thai Consulate
Bland, Payne, Dineen,
25-28 Adelaide Road,

Dublin 2 Mr. Patrick J. Dineen Tel (443531) 6048100
Fax (443531) 6048199

Edited by wayned

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks wayned for detailed reply!

Wondering what kind of budget I should imagine to spend on renewing and visa runs per year ?

if it is planned to stay on a long term basis using tourist visas/visa exempt entries i would advise against this.

Eventually the officials will refuse further entries/visas.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Wondering what kind of budget I should imagine to spend on renewing and visa runs per year ?

if it is planned to stay on a long term basis using tourist visas/visa exempt entries i would advise against this.

I am only going to live in Thailand for 1 year, after which I will move to either vietnam or cambodia.

Is it reasonable to assume that I can get visa renewal for 1 year?

Edited by staple31

I am only going to live in Thailand for 1 year, after which I will move to either vietnam or cambodia.

Possible for a time frame of one year if starting with a triple entry tourist visa.

Possible for a time frame of one year if starting with a triple entry tourist visa.

Is 100% sure? or is it like after the 3rd run if they want immigration can decide not to renew?

Because I am looking to rent an place in CM and wondering if its a safe bet to make a 12- month commitment for a lease.

Thanks in advance