USA Social Security No Payment Today

SailingHome

Bad weather has a lot of offices closed. Many people will not get their payment on time. Mine is already a day late. There are no local offices to get an emergency payment. Hang in there...

http://www.ssa.gov/emergency/#a0=0

"Due to severe weather conditions impacting the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic, offices in New Jersey, Maryland, Washington D.C. Delaware, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri. Illinois, and Ohio are closed or had delayed openings today, March, 3, 2014. Please check with your local Social Security office to find out about office delays and closings in your local area."

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many cynics here! While I agree with you, don't assume that is issue. If your employer did not pay you on time, wouldn't you call to see if there were problems that need your attention? Sue me for thinking others might have the same conclusion but can't get anyone on the phone, even in Paris.

• Like 1

It used to be that all SS payments were made on the 3rd of each month. They've change that to stagger them out. Don't blame them.

Mine is direct deposited on the 2nd Wednesday of each month.

They've had record snow storms across the NE of the US, and even as far a Texas. They simply can't get to work, and if they could, quite a few are without power.

I agree. If a few days or even months puts a guy in a bind, he'd be too close for comfort for me.

• Like 1

Yes, the checks are staggered on dates, but they set mine up for the 3rd every month. It's not a big deal for me, I just wondered if I missed a notice or had bank issues again.

Sorry if I misunderstood you. However you did say:

"Mine is already a day late. There are no local offices to get an emergency payment."

• Like 1

Yes, the checks are staggered on dates, but they set mine up for the 3rd every month. It's not a big deal for me, I just wondered if I missed a notice or had bank issues again.

Sorry if I misunderstood you. However you did say:

"Mine is already a day late. There are no local offices to get an emergency payment."

Oh! Yes, I put that on because it was in the advice on the Web site. I know too many here that live month-to-month. Thanks for pointing that out.

It used to be that all SS payments were made on the 3rd of each month. They've change that to stagger them out. Don't blame them.

Mine is direct deposited on the 2nd Wednesday of each month.

They've had record snow storms across the NE of the US, and even as far a Texas. They simply can't get to work, and if they could, quite a few are without power.

I agree. If a few days or even months puts a guy in a bind, he'd be too close for comfort for me.

I have the same delivery - 2nd Wednesday is the promise ... but I actually get my S.S. direct deposit on the 2nd. Tuesday. I have read that mail delivery of S.S. checks is supposed to stop in the U.S. I thought it had already occurred. And for those who do not have a bank account the S.S. Admin will issue a Debit Card for direct deposit. I am a big advocate for personal choice.. but I see no sense for anyone to have a S.S. Check mailed to an address in the USA. But to each his own. If the government stands by previous announcements the cut off of mailed S.S. checks is going to happen sooner or later.

In Thailand Americans do have the option of direct deposit to an American Bank and then having an account at Bangkok Bank in N.Y.C. ... Do an ACH transfer to B.B. NYC which in turn the money will be available in a Thailand B.B. branch. I believe it is possible to have the S.S. direct deposit to Bangkok Bank NYC but don't know for sure.

• Like 2

The last two months my payments were deposited in my account and available on the 1st or 2nd, although usually it's the 3rd. This month it was available in my account on Saturday the 1st. If it's paid into your account by electronic transfer or by automatic transfer from money on deposit in the government's account, what does bad weather have to do with anything?

The government keeps money on deposit at virtually every bank in the US for regular disbursements and the money is transferred to SS recipients accounts whether or not someone takes a day off because of snow. That's why most banks are eager to have accounts with direct deposits from the government. It means the money is sitting there like an interest free loan waiting to be distributed.

I have mine directed to my bank in Chicago and then make transfers to Bangkok Bank every few months or when the exchange rate is better. Monthly deposit from SS plus other deposits from my pension or other sources would just mean more unnecessary bank charges.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Anyone for whom a few days' delay of their pension is a big issue - or even a few months IMO - is really living too close to the edge to be able to afford living overseas.

No cushion for emergencies? Medical incident requiring repatriation? What's the backup plan?

well Ritchie Rich bully for you i am very glad you do NOT have any input towards the visa regs

Strange you got yours on the first since the 3rd is not a holiday or weekend this month. The Web page does say that deposits might not have been made.

While everything is electronic, someone still has to push the button to start the batch sending and someone at the bank has to be there to approve (I helped write some of software.) The banks are probably closed if the govt is.

Anyone for whom a few days' delay of their pension is a big issue - or even a few months IMO - is really living too close to the edge to be able to afford living overseas.

No cushion for emergencies? Medical incident requiring repatriation? What's the backup plan?

While I agree a cushion is needed, many simply do not have one and living here solely on social security is easier than in the States. Unfortunately, many US citizens living on social security cannot even qualify for the minimum income needed to have a Thai retirement extension. I know several who do not even pay their medicare premiums, just to have that little extra each month. Betting on good health is a poor gamble, but some simply take the chance. I have already paid for medical bills and a funeral; neither mine. I expect I will pay for others.

Jeez, man.

All these guys identifying themselves as 1) "Oldish" 2) Americans and 3) who don't have to work for a living any more.

I'm predicting easy pickings for some trolls in the near future...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Strange you got yours on the first since the 3rd is not a holiday or weekend this month. The Web page does say that deposits might not have been made.

While everything is electronic, someone still has to push the button to start the batch sending and someone at the bank has to be there to approve (I helped write some of software.) The banks are probably closed if the govt is.

Strange or not, my bank ... my account is with a Chicago branch of Bank of America ... sends me an email whenever there's a deposit. My pension payment has always been on the first and SS on the 3rd. This month I got an email that both were available on the 1st and last month it was either the 1st or 2nd.

There's going to be people working at computer centers for both Bank of America and Social Security 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, holiday or not, snow or not. And I would imagine both have back-up power sources whatever the weather. It's not being handled by some old lady with a Rolodex who fills out a deposit slip each month if her bursitis isn't acting up ... unless maybe you bank at the First National Bank of Beaver Dump Idaho.

This notice is about SS offices that deal with problems of individuals, not anything to do with on-going disbursement of check unless you're making some change or signing up to get started. Certainly direct deposits are managed centrally or at least regionally with back-up for disasters.

Due to severe weather conditions impacting the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic, offices in New Jersey, Maryland, Washington D.C. Delaware, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri. Illinois, and Ohio are closed or had delayed openings today, March, 3, 2014. Please check with your local Social Security office to find out about office delays and closings in your local area.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Hey, I'm one of those that don't pay into Medicare Part B. Why should I, I can't use it or Part A and all the money I paid into Medicare since inception is for all practical purposes stolen. And yea, that extra 100+ USD comes in handy. If you can't use an 'extra' 100+ USD you have one hell of a lot more money than I.

• Like 2

"I helped write some of software."

I thought techie-types talk about writing code." Did you help with the Obama Care "software?"

Traffic Didn’t Crash the Obamacare Site Alone. Bad Coding Did Too.

Read more: Traffic Didn’t Crash the Obamacare Site Alone. Bad Coding Did Too. | TIME.com http://swampland.time.com/2013/10/24/traffic-didnt-crash-the-obamacare-site-alone-bad-coding-did-too/#ixzz2uzNQz6Pr

• Like 1

Hey, I'm one of those that don't pay into Medicare Part B. Why should I, I can't use it or Part A and all the money I paid into Medicare since inception is for all practical purposes stolen. And yea, that extra 100+ USD comes in handy. If you can't use an 'extra' 100+ USD you have one hell of a lot more money than I.

Yup. They allow opting out for a reason, so I don't fell bad about it one bit. The moment I go back, if I ever do, they will let me restart it too.

• Like 1

I can't believe there are people living off their SS and nothing else.

Most people I know that old stateside don't even take it, both on principle and because it's so insignificant.

I guess if you were in that position back home you'd be eating dog food, so I can see why making do with a local-Thai lifestyle would be better.

But when the major health crises arrive, what if you're too sick to get home? Ready to die in a ditch like a dog I suppose.

Oh well as they say up to you, you make your bed, then you lie in it.

So many complainants here! Haven't you ever been late on a payment and asked forgiveness? GOOD GOD PEOPLE! If computers are down due to electric being out or whatever, they cannot preform miracles!

I'll bet they got their gub'ment checks on time.

Edited by impulse

But second - I have a big bone to pick with all the judgmentalism and sarcasm I encounter on forums, ...."There but for the grace of God......."

+1.

Just because I'm doing okay today, doesn't mean I won't be destitute tomorrow if my health goes bad, my investments get hoovered up, my retirement plan gets ransacked, the IRS decides I've been doing something wrong, I have to defend myself against false charges, or a thousand other things that happen to good, smart, hard working people. (Not that I claim to be especially good, or hard working)

• Like 2

But second - I have a big bone to pick with all the judgmentalism and sarcasm I encounter on forums, ...."There but for the grace of God......."

+1.

Just because I'm doing okay today, doesn't mean I won't be destitute tomorrow if my health goes bad, my investments get hoovered up, my retirement plan gets ransacked, the IRS decides I've been doing something wrong, I have to defend myself against false charges, or a thousand other things that happen to good, smart, hard working people. (Not that I claim to be especially good, or hard working)

Yeah, but some people are deathly afraid of that happening and truly believe that it would be a horrid experience for them, so they lash out verbally and emotionally at those not in their 'class'. Shit happens. My life is way better today living mostly month to month than it ever was when I had wealth, and it is not as scary as you think.

Some say we should die like a dog in a ditch. Ok. I'm not afraid of that, and if you think you have security because of money, expensive rent, etc., you are delusional, but I do understand why you are so afraid. When it happens to you I will still be here with open arms to help you adjust.

• Like 1