USA Social Security No Payment Today

SailingHome

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best laid plans ... oft go astray. Ten years ago or so I had no great fears for the future. Then came a death, a divorce, the bank collapse, and out of the blue the future no longer looked at all rosy. As it happened I came to Thailand for a short break, loved it on sight, saw the affordable cost of living and many other advantages, so I stayed. Had life gone the way I expected I would now have been in reasonably comfortable but uninspiring retirement back home and would never have known how good life could actually be,.albeit lived on a shoestring. Wouldn't go back for worlds.

• Like 2

Anyone for whom a few days' delay of their pension is a big issue - or even a few months IMO - is really living too close to the edge to be able to afford living overseas.

No cushion for emergencies? Medical incident requiring repatriation? What's the backup plan?

just last year you were trying to get to get to the border without being arrested and jailed for overstay ?

What was your backup plan ?

• Like 1

The best laid plans ... oft go astray. Ten years ago or so I had no great fears for the future. Then came a death, a divorce, the bank collapse, and out of the blue the future no longer looked at all rosy. As it happened I came to Thailand for a short break, loved it on sight, saw the affordable cost of living and many other advantages, so I stayed. Had life gone the way I expected I would now have been in reasonably comfortable but uninspiring retirement back home and would never have known how good life could actually be,.albeit lived on a shoestring. Wouldn't go back for worlds.

I appreciate your sentiment and agree in principal. But I've known people who had the same life changing epiphany moving from Houston to Wimberley (a mere 200 miles), or moving from their 3000 sq ft empty nest to a tiny condo, or from the city to the country- all with a significant drop in cost of living and a more amenable quality of life (for them anyway).

I expect my cost of living back in the USA will be significantly lower after 15 years of living in Asian inner city accommodations learning to do without all the $$$ trappings of suburbia. Lower, even than living in downtown BKK where my Thailand job requires I live. I'd have never gotten there without my Asian experience, but I can pare back just as easily in the hill country of Texas or Wyoming (or wherever).

The best advice comes from hard-won experience.

In my case I'm lucky to have family & friends, and everyone knows their place in the queue for repayment. Maid's been paid out in full, landlord's about 60% done.

Strange you got yours on the first since the 3rd is not a holiday or weekend this month. The Web page does say that deposits might not have been made.

While everything is electronic, someone still has to push the button to start the batch sending and someone at the bank has to be there to approve (I helped write some of software.) The banks are probably closed if the govt is.

I pay all of my bills online with Bill Pay. I am sure that no one is reading each bill and pushing a button. The computer performs that task per instructions when you set up for the payment to be made. Billions of these transactions a day. I cannot believe anyone is "pushing a button".

I can't believe there are people living off their SS and nothing else.

Most people I know that old stateside don't even take it, both on principle and because it's so insignificant.

I guess if you were in that position back home you'd be eating dog food, so I can see why making do with a local-Thai lifestyle would be better.

But when the major health crises arrive, what if you're too sick to get home? Ready to die in a ditch like a dog I suppose.

Oh well as they say up to you, you make your bed, then you lie in it.

Most people I know that old stateside don't even take it, both on principle and because it's so insignificant.

Hogwash. Those that qualify take it. This is not a government hand-out program, as you are probably not even aware of. The employee pays 50%, and the employer pays 50% of the premium, each month on the employees earnings. The government pays nothing. Why would you say no to taking the payment unless you are ignorant of how the fund is built. And, do you really expect me to believe that you would just ignore the maybe $2,000 US dollars a month?

Obviously, you worked for the government and that is where your pension comes from, since you have never paid into Social Security. (Of course, most people I know would not take their government pension based on principal! cheesy.gifcheesy.gif )

• Like 2

I'd bet that most of the plutocrats etc. don't take Social Security and it damn sure isn't on principal, they have none. They never held a job where they paid into it, hell they never held a job, period. And if an 'extra' 1,000-2,000 USD a month is insignificant I'd suggest you have too damn much money. Some people need to understand how Social Security works, it certainly isn't a government handout or an 'entitlement'. Workers pay for it. Technically it is a pay cut in that the amount contributed by both employee and employer is part of the wages the employee would otherwise be receiving up front.

Back to SS payments being late, if you have direct deposit and unless the idiot teabagger repugthuglicans shut down the government again your payments should not be late, although computer systems can screw up on their own, rarely. Mine actually came early during the traitorous shut down, guessing SS was trying to get everybody paid before the idiots could make more people go hungry.

• Like 1

I'd bet that most of the plutocrats etc. don't take Social Security and it dam_n sure isn't on principal, they have none. They never held a job where they paid into it, hell they never held a job, period. And if an 'extra' 1,000-2,000 USD a month is insignificant I'd suggest you have too dam_n much money. Some people need to understand how Social Security works, it certainly isn't a government handout or an 'entitlement'. Workers pay for it. Technically it is a pay cut in that the amount contributed by both employee and employer is part of the wages the employee would otherwise be receiving up front. Back to SS payments being late, if you have direct deposit and unless the idiot teabagger repugthuglicans shut down the government again your payments should not be late, although computer systems can screw up on their own, rarely. Mine actually came early during the traitorous shut down, guessing SS was trying to get everybody paid before the idiots could make more people go hungry.

Pay up on that bet. Many news stories, some hidden camera, asking ex-govt officials if they take the money, is it really much money to them etc.

But, yeah, Obama has never held a job in his life. Has no clue what it means to work as an employee or business owner.

Last year in November they were at an impass. Govt spending had used up the budget (funny how they can take money from social security to buy weapons), and by law they could not pay SS until congress approved more spending.

I am not worried the system will ever fail. Come on, it would take a major world crisis where EVERYBODY has no resources. They can't just pull the rug out - it would be utter anarchy. They can over time eliminate it paying less and less, letting people age out (die) and younger gens are told you won't have a pension unless you do it yourself? Also not likely if only for the public image of the government being solvent.

Nah... I'm not worried, and not in denial either.

Edited by SailingHome

I said plutocrats, not their whores in Congress, cabinet positions etc. Very few government employees make big money, very few. As a former government employee I resent disparaging remarks about government employees in general. Try fighting wildland fire for awhile. Try 18 hour work days stopping criminals and poachers. Try having a flood control ditch cave in on you while surveying. Try getting shot at and missed-shit on and hit. We earned our Social Security, on time or not. Frankly while a bit off the subject, I can't stand obushma, but not for your reasons or any of the wacko right wing reasons, real ones. Government is not a business nor a household and should not be run like one. Obushma adding chained CPI to Social Security for one. I'd like to see a cell in GitMo reserved for him, cheney/shrub et al and most of Wall Street, banksters, plutocrats.

• Like 2

It used to be that all SS payments were made on the 3rd of each month. They've change that to stagger them out. Don't blame them.

Mine is direct deposited on the 2nd Wednesday of each month.

They've had record snow storms across the NE of the US, and even as far a Texas. They simply can't get to work, and if they could, quite a few are without power.

I agree. If a few days or even months puts a guy in a bind, he'd be too close for comfort for me.

I have the same delivery - 2nd Wednesday is the promise ... but I actually get my S.S. direct deposit on the 2nd. Tuesday. I have read that mail delivery of S.S. checks is supposed to stop in the U.S. I thought it had already occurred. And for those who do not have a bank account the S.S. Admin will issue a Debit Card for direct deposit. I am a big advocate for personal choice.. but I see no sense for anyone to have a S.S. Check mailed to an address in the USA. But to each his own. If the government stands by previous announcements the cut off of mailed S.S. checks is going to happen sooner or later.

In Thailand Americans do have the option of direct deposit to an American Bank and then having an account at Bangkok Bank in N.Y.C. ... Do an ACH transfer to B.B. NYC which in turn the money will be available in a Thailand B.B. branch. I believe it is possible to have the S.S. direct deposit to Bangkok Bank NYC but don't know for sure.

Yes, you can have S.S. direct deposit to Bangkok Bank, NYC.. I have since 2006..

• Like 1

I said plutocrats, not their whores in Congress, cabinet positions etc. Very few government employees make big money, very few. As a former government employee I resent disparaging remarks about government employees in general. Try fighting wildland fire for awhile. Try 18 hour work days stopping criminals and poachers. Try having a flood control ditch cave in on you while surveying. Try getting shot at and missed-shit on and hit. We earned our Social Security, on time or not. Frankly while a bit off the subject, I can't stand obushma, but not for your reasons or any of the wacko right wing reasons, real ones. Government is not a business nor a household and should not be run like one. Obushma adding chained CPI to Social Security for one. I'd like to see a cell in GitMo reserved for him, cheney/shrub et al and most of Wall Street, banksters, plutocrats.

What Federal employees get social security?

Hogwash. Those that qualify take it. This is not a government hand-out program, as you are probably not even aware of. The employee pays 50%, and the employer pays 50% of the premium, each month on the employees earnings. The government pays nothing. Why would you say no to taking the payment unless you are ignorant of how the fund is built. And, do you really expect me to believe that you would just ignore the maybe $2,000 US dollars a month?

Obviously, you worked for the government and that is where your pension comes from, since you have never paid into Social Security. (Of course, most people I know would not take their government pension based on principal!)

No I'm not anywhere near "retirement" age, and plan to keep working until I drop, even if I don't need the money just to keep busy and because I enjoy it.

Only government job I ever had was a two-year internship while a student under Barry Goldwater, working for his Government Oversight committee in the Senate. Oh and a couple of stints working summers for the town Roads department cleaning ditches and trimming trees a few years before that.

I don't know that many old people, the ones that I do with which I've discussed the issue have told me they don't take SS, and yes of course for them it is a piddling amount or they would take it.

The whole calling it "insurance" or something is of course a scam, as you noted it's all in general revenues, both the employee and employer contributions are plain old tax spent on current needs, not put away someplace sacred.

If a citizen can afford to avoid going on ANY kind of government subsidies (and of course corporations are the worst suckers of the government teats) then they are doing as much patriotic duty as those willingly paying more taxes than they'd "have to" given that they can afford expensive advisers in the know of the latest loopholes.

No such thing as "too much money" is there? Like telling a woman she's too thin or young-looking, or trying to tell me having fewer bedmates would be "better".

Edited by wym

About 1/4 of public employees do not receive Social Security because of alternate plans if my info is up to date. This former government employee does, and usually on time. I also receive pensions from the government jobs I held and a VA disability. No, I'm not about to tell how much.

Hey SS is retirement insurance, plain and simple. It is called 'deferred compensation'. It does not and cannot by law contribute one single penny to the phony deficit crisis. Different than a 401k in that it is protected from the criminals on Wall Street.

There is no such thing as too much money, but the 'old' people you know don't take because it is a piddling amount? I don't think I've ever known anybody that rich in my entire life. Most of the people I know work/worked for a living.

Ahh, if you worked as an intern for Barry Goldwater I believe you just might be considered old yourself. Jeez, work to you drop, up to you.

Anyone for whom a few days' delay of their pension is a big issue - or even a few months IMO - is really living too close to the edge to be able to afford living overseas.

No cushion for emergencies? Medical incident requiring repatriation? What's the backup plan?

While I agree a cushion is needed, many simply do not have one and living here solely on social security is easier than in the States. Unfortunately, many US citizens living on social security cannot even qualify for the minimum income needed to have a Thai retirement extension. I know several who do not even pay their medicare premiums, just to have that little extra each month. Betting on good health is a poor gamble, but some simply take the chance. I have already paid for medical bills and a funeral; neither mine. I expect I will pay for others.
Kind of sad situation. There is enough money to support Israel and fight wars but not enough to take care own citizens.

I wonder how many of these "poors" voted republicans?

• Like 2

About 1/4 of public employees do not receive Social Security because of alternate plans if my info is up to date. This former government employee does, and usually on time. I also receive pensions from the government jobs I held and a VA disability. No, I'm not about to tell how much. Hey SS is retirement insurance, plain and simple. It is called 'deferred compensation'. It does not and cannot by law contribute one single penny to the phony deficit crisis. Different than a 401k in that it is protected from the criminals on Wall Street. There is no such thing as too much money, but the 'old' people you know don't take because it is a piddling amount? I don't think I've ever known anybody that rich in my entire life. Most of the people I know work/worked for a living. Ahh, if you worked as an intern for Barry Goldwater I believe you just might be considered old yourself. Jeez, work to you drop, up to you.

The Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) is the current retirement system for employees within the U.S. federal civilian employees. FERS was enacted on June 6, 1986, to replace the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) and to conform federal retirement plans in line with those in the private sector.

FERS consists of three major components:

• The FERS annuity, a defined benefit plan,
  • Mandatory participation in Social Security (most CSRS employees are not part of Social Security and do not pay taxes into the system, nor are they eligible for benefits.

While I agree a cushion is needed, many simply do not have one and living here solely on social security is easier than in the States. Unfortunately, many US citizens living on social security cannot even qualify for the minimum income needed to have a Thai retirement extension. I know several who do not even pay their medicare premiums, just to have that little extra each month. Betting on good health is a poor gamble, but some simply take the chance. I have already paid for medical bills and a funeral; neither mine. I expect I will pay for others.
Kind of sad situation. There is enough money to support Israel and fight wars but not enough to take care own citizens.

Social security has not stopped paying benefits. Stop spreading false rumors.

Obviously, you worked for the government and that is where your pension comes from, since you have never paid into Social Security. (Of course, most people I know would not take their government pension based on principal!)

No I'm not anywhere near "retirement" age, and plan to keep working until I drop, even if I don't need the money just to keep busy and because I enjoy it.

Only government job I ever had was a two-year internship while a student under Barry Goldwater, working for his Government Oversight committee in the Senate. Oh and a couple of stints working summers for the town Roads department cleaning ditches and trimming trees a few years before that.

I don't know that many old people, the ones that I do with which I've discussed the issue have told me they don't take SS, and yes of course for them it is a piddling amount or they would take it.

The whole calling it "insurance" or something is of course a scam, as you noted it's all in general revenues, both the employee and employer contributions are plain old tax spent on current needs, not put away someplace sacred.

If a citizen can afford to avoid going on ANY kind of government subsidies (and of course corporations are the worst suckers of the government teats) then they are doing as much patriotic duty as those willingly paying more taxes than they'd "have to" given that they can afford expensive advisers in the know of the latest loopholes.

No such thing as "too much money" is there? Like telling a woman she's too thin or young-looking, or trying to tell me having fewer bedmates would be "better".

You wrote, "If a citizen can afford to avoid going on ANY kind of government subsidies." Social Security is not a government subsidy. I paid in a lot more than I will ever get out. It is forced savings for most people. Federal employees don't get social security nor pay into it as far as I know.

Americans pay into social security when working and when over 67 start getting the money back.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 2

I can't believe there are people living off their SS and nothing else.

I guess if you were in that position back home you'd be eating dog food, so I can see why making do with a local-Thai lifestyle would be better.

But when the major health crises arrive, what if you're too sick to get home? Ready to die in a ditch like a dog I suppose.

Oh well as they say up to you, you make your bed, then you lie in it.

What's to believe!? Why can't you understand that people are individuals and with that they have a different mind and not all minds think the same. You are comparing yourself, your thoughts and experiences to someone else. Why you cannot just let this person or others be who they are without you criticizing. Not everyone lives the same and for some making S.S. of I.e., $1,500 USD each month it helps pay bills. Chill a little and take a step back before thinking how your words affect other people. Peace and wisdom to you...

Another case of "Bumbling Obama." I'll check it out on FOX, they'll put him in his place, right after Hanity digs it for him.

Hey, I'm one of those that don't pay into Medicare Part B. Why should I, I can't use it or Part A and all the money I paid into Medicare since inception is for all practical purposes stolen. And yea, that extra 100+ USD comes in handy. If you can't use an 'extra' 100+ USD you have one hell of a lot more money than I.

Yup. They allow opting out for a reason, so I don't fell bad about it one bit. The moment I go back, if I ever do, they will let me restart it too.

Yes, and for every year you delay signing up and paying, there is a 10% premium penalty. So what you can buy for $104 pm at age 65 will cost you 50% more at age 70. Not only that, but if you get really sick, like with cancer and return to the US, it will take a couple of months to get your enrollment completed and you will be without coverage during that time.

Social security has not stopped paying benefits. Stop spreading false rumors.

No one on this thread made any statement about SSA stopping payments,

I'm sorry if I came across as heartless, that was not my intent.

Just that I honestly think it's dangerous for elderly people that close to the edge to be living overseas, given the likelihood of a catastrophic health incident without proper insurance coverage.

Better I would think to be living in less comfort day to day back home but at least knowing you'll get half-decent medical care, rather than relying on the limited capacities (both technical and compassionate) here in Thailand.

Of course it's an individual's choice, I myself am ready to die in the gutter rather than spending money on expensive insurance in my old age, but I've heard from many that that's an unusual viewpoint.

You need to realize that the US government's primary role is to support the welfare of its large corporations and wealthiest citizens, the job creators.

The bottom 90% of the population are either cannon fodder, a cheap pool of (now very) available labor or dead weight holding us back from prosperity sponging off public funds.

Thinking of citizens as real human beings has no place in modern politics.