price for taking tuk tuk from old city to airport?

kizz06

The driver isn't ripping you off, but he is trying to take advantage.

High season....hahaha.....doesn't make the supply of tuk tuks any less, as there are hundreds of them.

If you get a fare of anywhere from 80 to 120bt then that's ok.

So you paid 30bt extra.....its irrelevant when you have plane schedules to meet......

The drivers charge WAY more that normal if you are going to the airport or bus station. If you go to Airport Plaza shopping mall in a songteaw, it is 20 baht from Thapae Gate. If you go another kilometer to the airport, it jumps to something like 100 baht.

Edited by Ulysses G.

The drivers charge WAY more that normal if you are going to the airport or bus station. If you go to Airport Plaza shopping mall in a songteaw, it is 20 baht from Thapae Gate. If you go another kilometer to the airport, it jumps to something like 100 baht.

has anyone been able to catch a red bus out of Central Airport Plaza for 20 in recent months? seems like they are charging 30 Bath now. twice we had the need to use a songtaew from there and every songtaew said 30 Bath, fare has gone up only from Airport Plaza - mafia asking for more?? every Thai, even students, wife's family included paid 30 Baht both times. not that i care about 10 Baht and use one every year or so but seems like the same thing that happened at Arcade station about 18 months ago - 40 Bath for everyone because guy in charge or someone at Arcade upped their commission.

B150 too much.

Still £3 for a trip to airport not a crime.

You'll just have to learn to negotiate better.

john

My problem is when I get an excessive demand I swear in basic English ( Anglo Saxon) and walk away.

has anyone been able to catch a red bus out of Central Airport Plaza for 20 in recent months? seems like they are charging 30 Bath now. twice we had the need to use a songtaew from there and every songtaew said 30 Bath, fare has gone up only from Airport Plaza - mafia asking for more?? every Thai, even students, wife's family included paid 30 Baht both times. not that i care about 10 Baht and use one every year or so but seems like the same thing that happened at Arcade station about 18 months ago - 40 Bath for everyone because guy in charge or someone at Arcade upped their commission.

I paid 20 baht last week to Thapae Gate, but I always walk out front and catch one that is passing by on the street. I never take the ones that are parked there waiting in the parking area. I always walk out to the street at Aracde bus station too.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Hired a sorngtau from Th Sri Poom (NE corner) to the airport for 120 bht . That was a month ago and 10 in the morning, Don't know if I paid too much but that is what I told the driver I would pay. Helped us with our luggage as well and ran off and got a trolley when we got to the airport. I think it helps if you have a smile on your face, are polite and make the effort speak reasonable Thai.

Well to be fair the cost of living has gone up in the last 4 years and I am not one bit surprised that they are now starting to ask for more money.

If you were working for some body would you not expect a raise in 4 years. Try getting one at the Central Festival Tuck Tuck's 150 baht. Songthaew Can't say. If you are alone it is 150 baht to get them to go or you can sit there and wait for them to get a load. 200 baht to and from Promenada.

But don't forget all there have free shuttle services.

I live in the city and use tuck tucks and songthaew's regularly and yes in the last few months I have noticed them asking for more quite often. They are still cheaper than buying a vehicle paying insurance on it and upkeep plus fuel.

• Like 1

As far as I know, the official rate for the red songteaws is still 15 baht, but most Thais pay 20 voluntarily. When I first got here it was 5 baht, so the prices do go up pretty regularly.
The problem, the way that I see it, is when the drivers only target foreigners with higher prices and don't even mention it to Thais. To me, that is gouging and nothing to do with obtaining a fair income.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Hired a sorngtau from Th Sri Poom (NE corner) to the airport for 120 bht . That was a month ago and 10 in the morning, Don't know if I paid too much but that is what I told the driver I would pay. Helped us with our luggage as well and ran off and got a trolley when we got to the airport. I think it helps if you have a smile on your face, are polite and make the effort speak reasonable Thai.

I don't think it makes one iota of a difference. From the NE corner of the moat, straight down Chaiyaphum basically a straight road to Wulai, right at Airport Rd and it's probably plain sailing at 10 am. People are already at work and school, plus it saves him driving around aimlessly, wasting fuel and hoping for 6 passengers. There is every chance he will pick up fares into town on the way back. Any songtheaw driver would play the odds and grab this fare gladly.

It goes without saying, that there's no reason not to be polite.

I don't see Thai's facial expression changing much when asking, so I can't really see the point of anyone else doing it either. Just say Airport 120 baht and he will take it or leave it.......my guess he will take it in any language

• Like 1

As far as I know, the official rate for the red songteaws is still 15 baht, but most Thais pay 20 voluntarily. When I first got here it was 5 baht, so the prices do go up pretty regularly.

The problem, the way that I see it, is when the drivers only target foreigners with higher prices and don't even mention it to Thais. To me, that is gouging and nothing to do with obtaining a fair income.

Actually I believe it is 17 baht. and has been for about 4 years. So it was only 5 baht in the ancient times got nothing to do with todays price. As a frequent user of songthaew's I often see them turn down Thai passengers.

You can call it what you like they still have to make a living.

Kind of like the book store that charges more for one book than the other because that is what the traffic will bear.

I've paid 30-40 baht to get from the airport to Chang Puean which is the other side of old city, but I've been asked for 150 baht for airport rides.

Depends on the time of day. One night heading back to my near the airport hotel I had to walk a ways down the hiway to get a ride for a reasonable price... Ah being white in Thailand :-) when I break out the Thai they usually soften up on the prices

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app