Brown sea in Lamai

Could be oil or more likely raw sewage thats been pumped into the water overnight. The garbage all over the beaches is due to not having any bins to help keep the environment clean.

It's more like the seaweed Etc.....this time of year not sewagesmile.png .

Late Monday morning the sea turned brown at Lamai Beach. Now no one swimming. What is it? I know what it looks like but it doesn't smell just looks awful. Any clues from someone who really does know?

Yes. The answer is simple. The central and regional governments decided long ago to refuse to invest in waste water treatment. Nearly all sewage here is pumped directly into the sea. So, what you are swimming in is a mixture of salt water and excrement. Yes, that is the reality, and all tests have shown a ridiculously high level of human waste. Swim in the sea on Samui at your own peril. The fabulously irresponsible authorities are sucking this island dry, and giving very, very little back to to the tourists who spend their hard earned money there. I am afraid Samui has seen better days. It is not moving in a positive direction.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Late Monday morning the sea turned brown at Lamai Beach. Now no one swimming. What is it? I know what it looks like but it doesn't smell just looks awful. Any clues from someone who really does know?

Yes. The answer is simple. The central and regional governments decided long ago to refuse to invest in waste water treatment. Nearly all sewage here is pumped directly into the sea. So, what you are swimming in is a mixture of salt water and excrement. Yes, that is the reality, and all tests have shown a ridiculously high level of human waste. Swim in the sea on Samui at your own peril. The fabulously irresponsible authorities are sucking this island dry, and giving very, very little back to to the tourists who spend their hard earned money there. I am afraid Samui has seen better days. It is not moving in a positive direction.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sounds about right!! Such a shame too.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Hmm brown algae.

So the only <deleted> is in some of the posts?

Maybe you need a larger telescope in Chaiyaphum.

Sadly no. Theres a few heads here either in in denial or buried in the sand.

Or am i too negative? He cares if i am. i'd never swim in these waters, thats for sure.

However, in defense of your post Trop, i'm quite willing to accept the brown algae theory as being correct and it sounds like it probably is. My concerns are purely addressing the untreated swage pumped into the shores every night.

Edited by carmine

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Hmm brown algae.

So the only <deleted> is in some of the posts?

Maybe you need a larger telescope in Chaiyaphum.

Or am i too negative? He cares if i am. i'd never swim in these waters, thats for sure.

However, in defense of your post Trop, i'm quite willing to accept the brown algae theory as being correct and it sounds like it probably is. My concerns are purely addressing the untreated swage pumped into the shores every night.

You, negative... never Carmine! biggrin.pngtongue.png

I have never seen these pipes or pumping stations that send this sewage water out to sea.... perhaps I should get out more....whistling.gif....where are they exactly?

There is one on Chawang lake, but never seen it working, that goes into the lake but not the sea???

I find it strange that thousands of people come here every year and swim in the waters around the islands here, but cannot remember ever reading a post where people are getting sick from doing so... ???

I will say there is a aeration system in place in Lamai, near one of the beaches... and it does have a bit of a whiff..... ! bah.gif ....But then too, I have smelt the same thing near UK beaches.... Mousehole, in Cornwall comes to mind....wink.pngwhistling.gif

This is the aeration thingy in Lamai...

IMG_1850.JPG

Let's be thankful, we don't get the Red Algae bloom, that causes fish, crabs and other shell fish to be poisonous ... quite common in a number of areas of the world..... (One cannot eat these things when it is present in the waters... some times a month or two a year... )

Edited by samuijimmy

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

I came to that conclusion in 2004 so I left, after 5 years living there.

I have never seen these pipes or pumping stations that send this sewage water out to sea.... perhaps I should get out more....whistling.gif....where are they exactly?

There is one on Chawang lake, but never seen it working, that goes into the lake but not the sea???

I find it strange that thousands of people come here every year and swim in the waters around the islands here, but cannot remember ever reading a post where people are getting sick from doing so... ???

I will say there is a aeration system in place in Lamai, near one of the beaches... and it does have a bit of a whiff..... ! bah.gif ....But then too, I have smelt the same thing near UK beaches.... Mousehole, in Cornwall comes to mind....wink.pngwhistling.gif

IMG_1850.JPG

Let's be thankful, we don't get the Red Algae bloom, that causes fish, crabs and other shell fish to be poisonous ... quite common in a number of areas of the world..... (One cannot eat these things when it is present in the waters... some times a month or two a year... )

And what do you think happens with the water that ends in the lakes and canals?

While there are no "pumping stations" pumping sewage into the sea, there are several canals slowly being filled with waste running by gravity from everywhere. Go have a look at the canal in Chaweng today, and tell me what color the water is. It is black, and it is not seaweed/algae. It slowly runs into the sea near the south end of the beach, and once it rains, it will all be flushed into the sea at once.

• Like 1

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

I agree, considering that especially Chaweng beach, but also some of the other beaches, are by far the biggest tourist attractions on Samui, you would think those in power, who also own hotels etc., would do something to protect those attractions, but unfortunately they seem to be unaware, or simply do not care about these problems.

Btw, you do not need giant sewage treatment plants, a few plants built into 20 ft containers (can be purchased fully assembled) dumped into the canal in Chaweng would do the job on a daily basis. Granted, they would not be able to cope during heavy rain, but heavy rain usually comes with rough seas, so the canals can just drain untreated into the sea at those times. The rough seas will take most of the waste out to sea, and besides, few people go swimming during heavy rain anyway.

Edited by monkeycountry

Never heard of anyone suffering from the seawater on Samui? I did !! All the skin peeled off my hands and soles of my feet, leaving them looking like raw meat. Three months off work on returning to UK, couldn't even wipe my ass. Eventually identified as a fungal infection. Started the last week of a months vacation on the island

Never heard of anyone suffering from the seawater on Samui? I did !! All the skin peeled off my hands and soles of my feet, leaving them looking like raw meat. Three months off work on returning to UK, couldn't even wipe my ass. Eventually identified as a fungal infection. Started the last week of a months vacation on the island

Thats a very negative post!!! The water around here is lovely and apparently no ones ever heard of sewage being pumped into it! rolleyes.gif btw, the reason i would never dream of swimming in it is because i am, infact, a cat.wink.png Had nought to do with an ear infection and a rather painful urine/bladder whatever infection from my last experience eight years ago.

• Like 1

IMG_1850.JPG

I am sure the authorities appreciate you being such an apologist for them. They need that. They need you to continue boosting their lack of efforts. I spend a lot of time on Samui, and everyone I know that lives there complains about the water quality. it is horrific. Everyone I know is aware of the dumping of human waste into the sea. Why has this info passed you by? There are studies released from time to time, and the authorities make every effort to bury them. The results are always a danger to humans. I know dozens of people who have come down with skin infections after swimming

in these waters. Plain and simple. Please seek out the truth.

• Like 2

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

I agree, considering that especially Chaweng beach, but also some of the other beaches, are by far the biggest tourist attractions on Samui, you would think those in power, who also own hotels etc., would do something to protect those attractions, but unfortunately they seem to be unaware, or simply do not care about these problems.

Btw, you do not need giant sewage treatment plants, a few plants built into 20 ft containers (can be purchased fully assembled) dumped into the canal in Chaweng would do the job on a daily basis. Granted, they would not be able to cope during heavy rain, but heavy rain usually comes with rough seas, so the canals can just drain untreated into the sea at those times. The rough seas will take most of the waste out to sea, and besides, few people go swimming during heavy rain anyway.

Yes, and I have heard there are inexpensive treatment alternatives, like algae pools, etc. to use to treat waster water. Have any of these been tried? Is any research being done? Why are the authorities so slothful, lazy, lacking in vision, and asleep on the job? Who permits these kinds of problems to fester on a multi billion dollar a year tourist island? To call this a travesty would be to understate the scope of the problems.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Yes, and I have heard there are inexpensive treatment alternatives, like algae pools, etc. to use to treat waster water. Have any of these been tried? Is any research being done? Why are the authorities so slothful, lazy, lacking in vision, and asleep on the job? Who permits these kinds of problems to fester on a multi billion dollar a year tourist island? To call this a travesty would be to understate the scope of the problems.

No, nothing has been done or tried, and I assume the rest of your questions were rhetorical :-)

Its poo

This is Thailand and after living here for a long time, I always assume the worst, because it will very rarely ever be better than the worst.

Bingo!! And thats why i'd only take a dip wearing some type of outfit similar to what a deep sea diver would wear.

Now that would be just fine if we were located in the baring Straits but were not are we. The water temp's 30csmile.png

It's brown Algae.... a natural occurrence, probably due to the warmer temperatures of late... Looks worse than it really is, certainly not what anyone would want to swim in... although not poisonous... just not "appetizing" wink.png

Not all the Lamai beaches have it, but the one near where this catamaran is situated, has a lot.... down past Grand father rocks...

IMG_1799.JPG

IMG_1847.JPG

Grand father rocks area (below)

IMG_1877.JPG

The beach area around Buddies is better.... (photo below) only seaweed around there...thumbsup.gif

IMG_1750.JPG

Just have to wait to it clears.... wink.png

sewerage produces nitrogen which in turn feeds algae thus whats called algae bloom

I am sure the authorities appreciate you being such an apologist for them. They need that. They need you to continue boosting their lack of efforts. I spend a lot of time on Samui, and everyone I know that lives there complains about the water quality. it is horrific. Everyone I know is aware of the dumping of human waste into the sea. Why has this info passed you by? There are studies released from time to time, and the authorities make every effort to bury them. The results are always a danger to humans. I know dozens of people who have come down with skin infections after swimming

in these waters. Plain and simple. Please seek out the truth.

Spidermike, could you please share links to those studies?