Garbage problem

peterbkk9

I live in a quiet residential soi in Bangkok.

The garbage collectors have decided to keep their waste baskets (about 10-15 in total) stacked right in front of my house.

At night they use these empty waste baskets to collect the garbage in those plastic bags up and down the soi.

So this area has become the garbage hub of the soi. Whenever someone needs to dump a big size object (mattress, old rotten furniture, washbasins, toilets, and so on...) they will just dump it there, right in front of my house.

And of course, the garbage collectors won't take these large size objects, so they stay there forever.

Imagine you open your door and see this pile of garbage. Not to mention the putrid smell.

Once I spoke to the garbage collectors, asking them if they could keep their waste baskets somewhere else.

They said "no sir, because it has been there a long time"

How to get rid of these waste baskets? Should I try with the BMA?

Any real advice is appreciated.

Edited by peterbkk9

It would probably be considered unreasonable by the authorities and other residents for one house to have to be burdened with the rubbish from every house when each house could keep their own and the dustman collect from them. In fact I suspect that this is what should happen. We used to have a dustbin outside our gate, some houses didn't, the dustcart would stop at the mouth of our sub-soi and the dustmen would come down with baskets to collect, I didn't realise that the baskets weren't kept on the cart. The system was abandoned when a tramp started making a mess rummaging through our individual dustbins. Now we take our rubbish to the mouth of the soi where it is deposited in, or in the vicinity of! a large yellow wheely-bin, there no baskets and because it is beside the blank wall of the first house they can't see it.

I presume that you have a Thai whom you can brief to get a discussion going with your neighbours which is a first step.

Edit: I have just re read your post and think that perhaps if the baskets don't belong on the dustcart then they belong to individual houses and belong there and you are being inconvenienced for the sake of neighbours or the dustmen, both unacceptable situations, the task is to get the municipal authorities to agree. If you get agreement a New Year bottle would be appropriate. Good luck.

Edited by tgeezer

It would probably be considered unreasonable by the authorities and other residents for one house to have to be burdened with the rubbish from every house when each house could keep their own and the dustman collect from them. In fact I suspect that this is what should happen. We used to have a dustbin outside our gate, some houses didn't, the dustcart would stop at the mouth of our sub-soi and the dustmen would come down with baskets to collect, I didn't realise that the baskets weren't kept on the cart. The system was abandoned when a tramp started making a mess rummaging through our individual dustbins. Now we take our rubbish to the mouth of the soi where it is deposited in, or in the vicinity of! a large yellow wheely-bin, there no baskets and because it is beside the blank wall of the first house they can't see it.

I presume that you have a Thai whom you can brief to get a discussion going with your neighbours which is a first step.

Edit: I have just re read your post and think that perhaps if the baskets don't belong on the dustcart then they belong to individual houses and belong there and you are being inconvenienced for the sake of neighbours or the dustmen, both unacceptable situations, the task is to get the municipal authorities to agree. If you get agreement a New Year bottle would be appropriate. Good luck.

Thank you for your comments tgeezer with a lot of good advice.

The dustcart never comes inside my soi. It waits at the mouth of the soi. The garbage collectors walk into the soi, put the waste baskets in a trolley and walk to the dustcart. The baskets belong to the dustmen who use them to collect the plastic bags (no dustbins in my soi)

Two of my neighbors are also inconvenienced by this situation. I will talk to them and to the municipal authorities.

Edited by peterbkk9

Instead of B20 on the first of the month I give my trash man B100 and he does a lot of extra work keeping things nice in front of my house, including sweeping 10-20m in both directions, washing out the plastic bins etc.

Perhaps you could come to a similar arrangement, shouldn't cost much. . .