Russians vs Brits

infinity11

another thing i noticed, i believe they usually appear to make little or no effort to speak thai for some reason

You could say the same about most expats. I know some Thai for normal everyday things, but could not hold a conversation with a Thai.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was very interesting to read what Brits think about the Russians. I am Yakutian guy, but my wife is Russian, we live in Thailand two years. I don't like bars, I prefer Irish pubs. I drink vodka and whiskey with the close friends at home, it is our tradition. I have read Shakespeare, Conan Doyle, Walter Scott, Orwell, Tolkien. I like English Rock. Most Russian people have good attitude to Brits. For last 20 years the Russia and Russian people very changed, but the "Iron curtain" remained in our heads.

I had to Google what Yakutian meant. What I came up was images of Asian looking women (pretty ones), who'd I'd place as Chinese if asked. If so, you're probably not one of the "Russians" meant here, I reckon what's meant by it is the Caucasian Igor-type, who's head Arnie would bash in in the old cold war time movies and the James Bond mistresses they drag around.

Yakutia is located in Eastern Siberia. Yakutian people are more like the Chinese, but the language is similar to Turkish. I am Russian citizen thus, in Thailand I am Russian. I agree our girls are beautiful http://vk.com/id219632443

Damn, those are some fine-looking women..

How long would it take to learn Yakutian, and would it do me any good? smile.png

That's what is happening in Pattaya is best example what I already seen before ...

They come , they take ... and they stay They do not have mercy to locals.

One difference between Brits and Russians is, the Brits seem to have dropped the imperial aspirations already.

The Russian territory in Pattaya starts at about Nang Nual at Walking street and then dilutes into Pratumnak in the south. Unfortunately it is expanding due north.

Brits are stationed near Soi Buokhao, right ? Expats seem to be scattered everywhere. Less territorial.

Germans got Naklua (best restaurants are there IMHO) together with their Italian counterparts, looks like the French are barricaded somewhere near TukCom .. now who else have you got that's managed to colonize their spot ?

If there's one notable difference between the 2 groups it is that Brits go to beer bars and Go Go bars in droves and enjoy a drink and a laugh talking with the girls. With the Russians you almost never see them in beer bars or Go Go bars, why would that be?

The answer is very simple. They do want to spend any money. They buy their booze from 7-11 and drink it in their tiny condos.

HTH.

If an answer seems to be so simple it often is wrong. Btw, did you put an error in your 2nd sentense ?

My observation of Russian tourists and some Russian ex-pats is: They mostly come to Thailand with their families or Russian spouses.

So far I did meet and talk to some very nice Russian men and women. Haven't had any unpleasant experiences with Russians yet.

Be kind to them, they are kind to you. The same applies to Chinese. Chinese are even more difficult to get in contact with as they often travel in large groups.

We could have a vote on it:

ALL Russians leave Pattaya for a year. The next year they can come back, and ALL Brits leave Pattaya for a year. They can come back after a year as well...

The jury and voters are ALL other nationalities, and they vote which Pattaya was more pleasant... The Russian one or the British one

Just an idea whistling.gif Obviously I am neither British nor Russian cheesy.gif

Met loads of Russians and their families, all been pleasant the kids are well mannered compared to other nationalities kids.

The Russian women you can never get bored of them at the beach.

• Like 1

Are people here seriously defending the Russians? Along with Israel they are the rudest people on earth. Period.

Never seen such ignorance and rudeness in all my time. Their problem is that they all think that they are 'mafia'

I. Could not agree more I had a restaurant in koh chang for 6 great years met many many lovely european people from every country

But then the russians came rude , demanding russian menus , no manners no table manners , insisting on smoking at the tables horrible people , im glad I sold it only for that reason !,,

You met with Russian rednecks, it does not mean that all Russian are such. You have not seen the Britain football fans when their team lost the game. Most of my Russian friends speak English, but I do not know anyone Brits who speaks Russian. "Do not judge, and you will not be judged..."

All nationalities have bad and good people. There is no exemption to that.

I agree with you vas. If we say bad to some, how about ourselves, are we clean and good?

Look at your yard first if it is clean before telling something against others'

Nice bit of Brit bashing again. How come on tv it is always open season on the Brits? but bash another nationality and everyone gets upset. I always find we get unfair treatment as most non English speaking people, apart from northern Europeans would have a hard time telling the difference beetween a uk,us,oz or Scandinavian using the English language. So always get thrown in as being English.

I was in Thawatsadu this morning getting some Jotun paint mixed up for my outside walls, whilst I was sitting on a the bench by the mixing machine there was a young guy speaking Thai to the paint assistant, he turned to me and in in English asked what I thought about his choice of colours for his room, we spoke for several minutes about that and where he stayed also where he came from, he told me in perfect English he was from an area close to the Black Sea and came to Thailand around two years back.

This young man had taken the trouble to learn English and Thai in the short time he had spent here, I regret I do not have any English friends including myself who have taken the trouble to learn two languages whilst living here.

It was very pleasant indeed to talk to him and find out more about why he came to Thailand to live.

I envy those types that makes an effort to learn the local language not matter their country of origin. I have an American friend that has lived in Thailand for 27 years and he cannot order a plate of rice in the Thai language.

Russians keep them self to themself, however I find their manners to be terrible, same as Chinese or Japanese.

maybe different cultures but if you don't have the manners to queue up in an orderly fashion, then it doesn't say much for the culture and the people in that culture.

Saying that apart from lack of manners, I've got no problem with them.

Russians keep them self to themself, however I find their manners to be terrible, same as Chinese or Japanese.

maybe different cultures but if you don't have the manners to queue up in an orderly fashion, then it doesn't say much for the culture and the people in that culture.

They are not much better in their home country although I have not been there in fifteen years. I found them to be very rude and have no idea of western culture or how to conduct themselves abroad. I don't have any contact with them here so can't comment but I imagine not much has changed as far as their behavior is concerned. I can say the ones I did business with in Russia were total aholes. I am happy all that crap is behind me.

Seen the ones over 40 ? Caucasians don't last long.

Thats when they are at their best...bleached blond hair, lodsa mascara, bright red lipstick, lycra skirt showing the vericose veins...thats sweet man

Seen the ones over 40 ? Caucasians don't last long.

Thats when they are at their best...bleached blond hair, lodsa mascara, bright red lipstick, lycra skirt showing the vericose veins...thats sweet man

Ripe for the plucking, eh ?

If there's one notable difference between the 2 groups it is that Brits go to beer bars and Go Go bars in droves and enjoy a drink and a laugh talking with the girls. With the Russians you almost never see them in beer bars or Go Go bars, why would that be?

Perhaps they are not that interested and can get laid back home? Is the frequency of visiting go go bars a character assassination or vindication? I prefer to drink at cheaper places on the street because the company is actually better most of the time.

• Like 1

It also makes me wonder what the Russians think of Brits? I am sure they are overwhelmed by the gracious welcomes they get from the Brits. Those who live in glass houses.....

FWIW the Brits have had their days over here and appear to be in decline so like it or not the Russians have taken their place. How do Russians view the Chinese and vice versa? Say what you want but I am willing to bet that many Russians would prefer the Brits, along with the gays to go home if they had their choice. These are not my views but somewhere, there must be a forum full of Russians complaining about how loud, cheap, low class and condescending relative to their relative position on the financial totem pole that Brits are. It is more likely they just don't really care and if you leave Pattaya because of the critical mass the Russsians seemingly have now, they will not lose any sleep.

another thing i noticed, i believe they usually appear to make little or no effort to speak thai for some reason

Did you mean the Russians or the Brits?

the rukies (can i say that?)

Only if you spell Ruskies correctly!

Sent from my very clever thingy that uses battery far too quickly

Perhaps they are not that interested and can get laid back home? Is the frequency of visiting go go bars a character assassination or vindication? I prefer to drink at cheaper places on the street because the company is actually better most of the time.

Getting laid I don't think has much to do with it. I am married so I am not on the prowl but I go out a lot and enjoy myself. For example when I go for a night out at Pattaya New Plaza area I drink with Aussies, Brits, New Zealanders, French, Germans, Pols and many more. In fact my best mates are from non English speaking Countries. It doesn't really matter how good their English is, we just go out for a good time, have a beer and have a good laugh. I have never ever had the occasion to meet a Russian in any bar or Go Go club and have a yarn with them. I find that odd considering that virtually every other European goes out and mingles with others. Apart from that Russian Cabaret place down walking street where do they go to drink? They don't seem to mingle much with other nationalities, why is this so?

Edit: I also drink at "places on the street" too and agree, I can have a good time with the Thais too.

Edited by bmanly

Slightly Off Topic, in America most Russian National restaurants/bars don't allow Americans entrance (keeping in mind any foreigner can buy property in the US). Seems the OP should be "Russians vs Everyone Else".

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Excuse me, of those of which known to be laundering locations for Russian Mafia and a few others for Family meeting places. Also talking just Los Angeles. Not to overstep.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Wait - you consider Japanese people to have terrible manners ? With the exception of the odd sauced salaryman, that hasn't been my experience : if anything, they have a tendency to overdo the politeness thing, at least one-on-one. The French, OTOH, seem to delight in their reputation for arrogance ......

• Like 1