Where to buy guns & do I need a permit for my Thai wife?

One of my most missed sports in America was shooting. Miss my guns. I know I cannot buy one in my name so I'll pay for it in my Thai wife's name. Where to buy for a great selection in BK? What are the average costs, both the gun, rifle or ammo? Where are the shooting ranges?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yammorat has the best selection although i heard they recently had banned high power rifles

or rifles with scopes or something because of the risk of snipers shooting people from a good distance away

and being hard to catch

Shit! Those are the most fun. Though will settle for lever action rifles.

yammorat has the best selection although i heard they recently had banned high power rifles

or rifles with scopes or something because of the risk of snipers shooting people from a good distance away

and being hard to catch

Just looked up that name, "Yammorat" in goggle & came up with nothing other than my post. Be appreciated if you could be more specific. :)

Bring money. On average, pistols cost 3-5x as much as back in the USA. Haven't priced rifles or shotguns. Ammo is obnoxiously expensive, too.

GPS N13 44 44.7 x E100 30 14.0 will put you in the right area, but perhaps one block off in either direction. It's a row of gun shops about 4-5 blocks WNW of Chinatown Khlong Thom Market.

You may want to look into an air rifle. There are a few recent and current running threads about legality, where to buy and what you can get. I'm looking at a Gamo high power pellet rifle with scope, but probably won't go for it- illegal on several levels but pretty easily available.

Edited by impulse

Bring money. On average, pistols cost 3-5x as much as back in the USA. Haven't priced rifles or shotguns. Ammo is obnoxiously expensive, too.

GPS N13 44 44.7 x E100 30 14.0 will put you in the right area, but perhaps one block off in either direction. It's a row of gun shops about 4-5 blocks WNW of Chinatown Khlong Thom Market.

You may want to look into an air rifle. There are a few recent and current running threads about legality, where to buy and what you can get. I'm looking at a Gamo high power pellet rifle with scope, but probably won't go for it- illegal on several levels but pretty easily available.

Regarding the guns & rifles, would I need to get a permit before purchase & if so where?

Regards to the air rifles, are these CO2, Electric or pump? Had friends in the US with electric high powered MP4s using plastic pellets, lots of fun.

But as a sport, I like rifles for a minimum range of 100 yards. Just saying, will look at the air guns provided they're no pump action.

and being hard to catch

Just looked up that name, "Yammorat" in goggle & came up with nothing other than my post. Be appreciated if you could be more specific. smile.png

its bangkoks "chinatown" district (i probably spelled it wrong )

there is gunshops next door to each other though

once your there ,you cant miss them

No need reply what type of air guns, I'll do my own research, but can you direct me to the proper store for such?

GPS N13 44 38.5 x E100 30 22.7 -on weekends, there's about a dozen regular kiosks on the street market every weekend. They have the best selection I have seen, but I suspect they're only there on weekends

In the alley directly away from the Wat at that location, there are a few permanent stores that carry quite a bit of kit, including amp-up parts, soft and hard cases, gillie suits, paintball armor, etc.

Seacon Square Mall has a few shops (I'm told). There's a guy in the basement at Fortune Tower, but his stuff runs toward the legal and boring- at least what he has on display. Lots of kiosks in the underground Sapan Lek Market, just north of Chinatown.

Search these forums for air guns or air rifles where there are some links to interweb sites, including one run (apparently) by expats.

BTW, I've just got a plastic BB shooting, Freon powered, legal (I think) pistol that I shoot at targets taped to a cardboard box in my apartment. It's fun, cheap to shoot, makes very little noise and it's pretty accurate across the room. But I'll bet the neighbors are curious.

Edited by impulse

oz893, if you intend to shoot only at a gun club, then you need neither a licence nor a gun of your own. Join a club and rent a gun by the session there.

A permit in your wife's name will not allow you to use her gun. You can apply for your own permit but success may be difficult for a foreigner.

It's very unlikely that either you or your wife could get a carry licence.

No longer matters as the wife is opposed to the gun idea, which includes pellet guns. She doesn't get that it's just a simple & very fun adrenaline Sport. And anyone with a Thai wife knows her being upset is no fun - i.e. You might as well be an outcast.

Impulse is now on income equality and wants to it. Try in western countries like USA, Its working a peach there.

In America I own .357 Long barrel Marlin Lever Action, very fun! Can take the head off a deer at a hundred yards. And the great thing about scope-less rifles is you don't have to aim, just point & shoot.

No need reply what type of air guns, I'll do my own research, but can you direct me to the proper store for such?

Most of the Gamo air rifles are either break barrel or underlever. At the top end I think they make both a Co2 and a PCP rifle,. My little lad has a Gamo break barrel, which is okay but not fantastic (it is Spanish manufactured gun). In my experience most people who are into (air gun) target shooting at a club use pre-charged pneumatics (PCP), which can be quite expensive. We are club members in the UK, and usually shoot cartridge rifles, though we do occasionally shoot our air rifles. Just for the record, I do think that firearms need regulation and should be used mainly on club premises. It looks like too much hassle to get a license in Thailand, although the lad is asking. We do have a (licensed) relative who occasionally brings around a bolt-action .22 for rough shooting near our rural village

Edited by citizen33

oz893, if you intend to shoot only at a gun club, then you need neither a licence nor a gun of your own. Join a club and rent a gun by the session there.

A permit in your wife's name will not allow you to use her gun. You can apply for your own permit but success may be difficult for a foreigner.

It's very unlikely that either you or your wife could get a carry licence.

Agree completely. To get a permit, your wife will need to supply a very good reason for having it, and purchase a gun that is of a suitable type for purpose. As a foreigner, you have no chance of getting a permit in your name, or to be legally allowed to use the weapon outside of a gun club. Again, you need a very good reason to get a carry license - my wife was able to get that but it took a long time to get all the required approvals. If you are looking for a handgun, try the police - they sometimes sell used weapons (legally) if you (your wife) has a permit.

Didn't have time to read all the comments. Your gf will need a firearm permit which is issued in the area you live and if you need a travel with it she will need a permit for that as well. In our area its near impossible to get a fire arm unless you have a business that can be used as motivation to own one. Even if you get the permit pistols go for B 80 000 up.

If you are looking for a pistol type pellet gun, go and look at the Crosman 1322 at thailandairsoft.com. It is a .22 at 460 fps, which can be upgraded to +- 750 fps (new valve and piston). You can attach a stock to it to make it a carbine. Great for target shooting and snakes. Much better than a normal airsoft.

In the Old City of Rattanakosin, just outside Chinatown, you’ll find the epicenter of gun culture in Bangkok. Almost 80 gun and weapons shops line Wang Burapha Road and the surrounding area. Shotguns and rifles stand upright in retail window displays next to arrays of handguns and ammo.

One of the better gun shops I found is called "Gun and Guy". They're telephone number is: 02 222 3118 or 02 622 0439.

Hope this helps!

If you gentlemen don't want to participate in a civil manner in a thread about a hobby we all enjoy, may I suggest you find another thread that you can contribute to without hurling insults?

Edited by impulse

If you gentlemen don't want to participate in a civil manner in a thread about a hobby we all enjoy, may I suggest you find another thread that you can contribute to without hurling insults?

I don't think that you realise that you (American posters primarily) are all off topic as the OP wants to get a gun to shoot people in order to defend himself.

From the OP: One of my most missed sports in America was shooting.

Seems the thread is about sport shooting, a hobby enjoyed by quite a few million people around the world.

Now, would you mind letting us get on with our discussion?