Where to buy guns & do I need a permit for my Thai wife?

Impulse is now on income equality and wants to it. Try in western countries like USA, Its working a peach there.

In America I own .357 Long barrel Marlin Lever Action, very fun! Can take the head off a deer at a hundred yards. And the great thing about scope-less rifles is you don't have to aim, just point & shoot.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

you dont have to aim ?? i think thats bs

btw shooting a deer from a hundred yards is not much celebrate ......

Soft targets, at least.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impulse is now on income equality and wants to it. Try in western countries like USA, Its working a peach there.

In America I own .357 Long barrel Marlin Lever Action, very fun! Can take the head off a deer at a hundred yards. And the great thing about scope-less rifles is you don't have to aim, just point & shoot.

You think it's fun to take the head off a deer. Sick.

The OP wants a gun for target practice. If his wife doesn't want a gun at home then my suggestion is a reasonable alternative.

yes , sorry i forgot about the wife having banned it

reminds me of a good quote i heard once " its better to have a gun and not need it ,than need a gun and not have it ' smile.png

The OP wants a gun for target practice. If his wife doesn't want a gun at home then my suggestion is a reasonable alternative.

yes , sorry i forgot about the wife having banned it

reminds me of a good quote i heard once " its better to have a gun and not need it ,than need a gun and not have it ' smile.png

I agree with that. Ours is intended principally to protect livestock. I hope that we never need to use it to protect ourselves.

My wife has a Walther PPK ( just because she saw it in a Bond movie), it's real and we have never bought ammunition for it. ( It's in a display case) , best place for guns in my opinion

Edited by lucifer666

Gun people are selfish. Meaning ....yes its a sport for some but involves weapons that are deadly to targets animals and people. Give me one good reason to own a gun. Especially a pistol

Motorcycle and car owners are selfish. Motorized vehicles pollute the world, they cause people to breath toxic fumes. They should walk and not be so selfish and lazy.

I own guns in the US and go hunting for deer and hogs which I eat. So that is a very good reason!

<deleted>..,... how do you get these animals home to eat??. On your push bike.

And your suggesting the worlds greatest user of cars and oil (USA) should do without cars. Where do these people on thaivisa get their solutions to worlds problems from

Why is it that Americans want to have guns? Now, before you start yelling... I am an American and own a few guns myself (back home in a gun safe with trigger locks that I have the keys to here with me... I am taking no chances). But look, the situation back at home is bad enough with fools who have their hands on a gun of any kind, why do you want to open that door.. as an American Farang here? Yes, it is fun to go shooting from time to time... so .... join a gun club. Keep the shooting there in a regulated space. Why do you need one anywhere else? As for permits... yes you will need one for both of you ... IF you are intending to have the wife use the thing. Though you say that she is against it... keep it locked up and safe for you... never know.

An air powered gun (or gas) is the way to go. The red cap is easy to spray paint out. It will give you the 'fun' of target practice and give you that feeling of power (if you need it). Unless you plan on carrying it around or being stupid with it in public or showing off as a Farang you should not be in need of a permit though if someone gets pissed at you and reports you, then you will need one and good luck getting one as a Farang! That is next to near impossible, certainly right now. But the truth is no one will care as a lot of people have one to kill the odd bird or scare off the soi dogs, or the odd human.

But my suggestion is to go to a proper range/gun club and use theirs. It is cheap and easy and you do not have the added chore of cleaning the thing, getting a safe /trigger lock, buying the ammo, or any of the other tasks involved. Also you will have a choice of weapons to pick from which is far cheaper there than suddenly realizing that you have a small arsenal in your home.

There is a whole street in Bkk devoted to it. I have been there but cannot tell you where. Prices are just crazy by expat home price standards. I was told by the owner of one shop that an expat can get a Thai gun licence or even a permit to carry if married to a Thai and can show a licence from another country (Oops none in USA) and is prepared to wait. Can take from 1 month to 12 months depends on the area, local BIB & additional inducements offered, i guess, (but he never said that.)

Thai gunshops are funny. They are only allowed to sell certain specific things and then you have to go out to a stall on the pavement (owned by guess who) to buy other items that in other countries would all be in the same shop. I do not know adout reloading or the supply of components but I think I would only want to shoot 22 rimfire in any quantity at the ammo prices i saw. There are gunclubs all over Thailand and several Thai dedicated gun magazines. There are pistol clubs around and we have a friend who shoots at one in Pattaya area. There is probably a Thai National Pistol club association to control International competition. There was an Action Pistol World Champs in Pattaya in Nov-Dec 2013.

Don't know much about rifle shooting here but the are obviously some clubs around. I am sure skeet & trap are shot here as they are everywhere in the world.

Enquire discreetly locally (current political situation) or ask the Bkk Gun shops for specific information.re clubs, national bodies etc. I have had a lifetime of shooting but not interested anymore

Gun shops in Bangkok are situated on Thanon Burapha and Thanon Unakan which are opposite each other running perpendicular to Thanon Charoen Krung.. Jump in a cab and ask for Old Siam Plaza (on Burapha). Your wife can hold a firearms permit as a Thai but as a farang you have very little chance. Handguns here in Thailand are expensive, about 4-5 times the cost in the US and about 3-4 times that of Australia. However, the expense is diminished somewhat by your ability to bargain and the time of year. Gun shop owners apply for and receive a yearly quota of weapons. If it is towards the end of the quota year and business has been slow they need to sell off or the subsequent allocation is reduced. I have not been there in many years but as an example three consecutive shops were asking 80,000B, 75,000B and 52,000B for a Beretta 92F. Ammunition here is unbelievably costly, 9mm FMJ is about 3 or 4 times the back home cost of Hydrashok. (If you can't control the firearms, control the next best thing). Reloading equipment (presses, dies etc.) is unavailable here as are components. (and no, you can't bring yours in to the country).

For pistol ranges try Ramkhamhaeng sports stadium. They have a reasonable pistol range and a rimfire rifle range. I haven't been in quite some time but membership was 1000B per year. They will require your passport and work permit copies. I taught my wife to shoot there many years ago and once the range marshal is satisfied that you can handle a firearm he quickly disappears and leaves you to your own devices. They have weapons for rent ......a rather antiquated 4" Smith in 38 Special and a S&W M39 converted to 38. Ammo was about 500B a box for 158g WC.

BTW they also engrave (chicken-scratch) a Thai serial number on the weapon...makes a real mess of the bluing.

A lot of good info here. Firearms are very expensive in Thailand. I looked at a few firearms and was shocked at the prices. A Glock 19 Gen 3 was listed at 90,000 baht. (A newer Gen 4 in the USA will be around 15,000 baht.) The 9mm ammunition for it was about 2,200 baht for a box of 50 FMJ Sellior & Bellot. 45ACP was 2,400 baht. I used to get that same 9mm S&B in the USA for about 300 baht prior to Sandy Hook (Dec 2012)

Gun people are selfish. Meaning ....yes its a sport for some but involves weapons that are deadly to targets animals and people. Give me one good reason to own a gun. Especially a pistol

Shooting is a respected international sport, like motorbike riding. I guess that the hardware in both cases is dangerous to targets animals & people. 300 - 700 can die in just one holiday weekend on the roads here. So you don't like shooting! Great. Your choice. Now, go and find a thread where you are not insulting people you do not even know and one that you may be able to contribute constructively to, about something you do know about!

If you love your guns so much go back to 'merica and join with your fellow gun nutters. With a little bit of luck we'll get you shooting at each other enough to solve that problem of guns in the hands of idiots.

That's NOT the correct TV spirit, but frequently the standard M.O. surfing the forums till you find something you hate then jumping on to ride your little hobby-horse. Guns don't kill people. People kill people. It is frequently people with extreme bitter irrational viewpoints, that kill other people; - kinda like you actually. Get your own life in order.

Shooting is a respected international sport, like motorbike riding. I guess that the hardware in both cases is dangerous to targets animals & people. 300 - 700 can die in just one holiday weekend on the roads here. So you don't like shooting! Great. Your choice. Now, go and find a thread where you are not insulting people you do not even know and one that you may be able to contribute constructively to, about something you do know about!

Yes indeed!

One might argue that car owners are selfish because cars may kill people.

If someone sees no need to own a gun that's up to him but that's no reason to condemn others. Target shooting is a sport which requires skill, knowledge and a strong sense of responsibility. Some people feel the need to own a gun for self-defence. You can't refute that without knowing their circumstances and in Thailand there are good reasons for owning a gun.

Especially a pistol Why? Pistols are legitimate target shooting tools and sensible ones for self-defence.

The bigots at both extremes of the gun debate see things as only black or white and refuse to see the points of view of more moderate people. The major issue is the ownership of a gun without a sense of responsibility. It's the same with a car. If you use one you should accept that you must do so in a way that minimises the danger to others.

If you love your guns so much go back to 'merica and join with your fellow gun nutters. With a little bit of luck we'll get you shooting at each other enough to solve that problem of guns in the hands of idiots.

That's NOT the correct TV spirit, but frequently the standard M.O. surfing the forums till you find something you hate then jumping on to ride your little hobby-horse. Guns don't kill people. People kill people. It is frequently people with extreme bitter irrational viewpoints, that kill other people; - kinda like you actually. Get your own life in order.

I see that you have the "correct" TV spirit yes? I'll not get into a PC with a blinkered person such as yourself...

I do not surf the forums looking for fodder. I see something I with which I can help and I do. If there are too many comments going in a direction I don't care for then I make my own. Return to your NRA folder please.

I find it hard to understand the fun in taking the head off a deer at 100 yards.

Particularly when there is NO skill involved. Just point and shoot.

Must mean you have REALLY BIG BALLS.

I guess.

I find it harder to understand why you would post this? It's not what the topic is about. It'll just provoke a gun debate, a hunting debate, probably a meat-eating debate, America-hating comments, insults, etc. etc. etc. Plenty of other threads for that crap. I CAN see why someone would want to comment on particular models they recommend, based on their experience, as that's relevant to the "buying" topic. Some posters have nothing better to do than lurk waiting for half a chance to spitball their own pet agendas and parrot some tired party line. Get a life.

I didn't post a gun debate, I asked a very specific question which I needed help from long standing members & it was answered with just a few posts. Everyone else went forward with changing it into a debate. I suggest you stop being such a "sensitive" person. Forums are there for people to converse whether to acquire specific information or just pass through the boredom.

Besides guns are fun & many don't buy them for home defense but purely as a sport. I myself don't like handguns, only rifles. So if you can't handle it or it makes you too upset, then just ignore the post.

And you then decided to no longer pursue the idea as your wife used her brains to call a stop. Good for her! clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gifclap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif

I didn't post a gun debate, I asked a very specific question which I needed help from long standing members & it was answered with just a few posts. Everyone else went forward with changing it into a debate. I suggest you stop being such a "sensitive" person. Forums are there for people to converse whether to acquire specific information or just pass through the boredom.

Besides guns are fun & many don't buy them for home defense but purely as a sport. I myself don't like handguns, only rifles. So if you can't handle it or it makes you too upset, then just ignore the post.

You got some useful answers but any question about guns brings out some who just want a fight. I wouldn't describe them as 'sensitive'.

Gun clubs may not have rifles to rent but they may have second hand rifles occasionally which, as I suggested previously, you might be able to buy and store there without a licence. I was once offered a second hand 9mm rifle with 'scope at our club where they have a good range for same. I took a few hours to think about it and it was gone!

You may also find a second hand rifle at a gun shop. Second hand guns may be purchased prior to applying for a licence. If you have already joined a club and they have agreed to store a rifle for you, you would be good to go.

OK OZ and others. I take your point the topic is where to buy guns and related info. It is a divisive issue even in the USA. Thing is I live in Thailand so I do have an opinion about gun ownership HERE. Yes I posted some stats about murder rates in US etc. This was only to make point I don't want Thailand a basket case like USA. I didn't even go into accidental death and injury. Not to mention suicide. I want tighter gun laws for thailand . .

At very least have the guns stored in a gun club and enjoy the recreation aspect that I can appreciate. As for defense .....this is a states attitude and needs to stay there. We don't need guns in private hands here. Maybe to lighten it up I would be interested in a post along lines "how many expats have a gun in their possession in Thailand. Lawfull or otherwise"

As a fellow gun enthusiast I feel for you when your wife says no and you can't purchase one yourself.

But I understand that you can purchase a gun even if you are a foreigner I just don't know the exact regulations.

Should be the same as a Thai though.

age over 25

are a citizen of good standing with no criminal record

have proof of ownership of property and or assets to indicate you won't be runnin off

In order to purchase a gun you or your wife need to visit the amphur and apply for a Por 3 certificate which is a certificate which allows you to purchase a gun. The fee runs anywhere from 100-500 baht depending upon the caliber of the gun.

But in real life it isn't that simple. YOU NEED TO PAY TEA MONEY. The standard going rate is 3000 baht for a .22. 4000 baht for a 9mm and 10,000 baht for a .45 or .308 rifle, but most licenses to purchase rifles are not easily issued.

You will need to bring the following documents:

copy of House registration

copy of ID/passport?

membership of a shooting range

evidence of assets e.g. bank book, car registration, land ownership documents (chanote)

Once issued a Por 3 you can go to any gun shops (most of the reputable ones are located around The Old Siam shopping center on Burapa Rd. The Por 3 will specify which caliber and whether it is a rifle or handgun and you can only purchase the caliber you applied for so its better to decide which specific gun you are looking for before applying. Once you pick out your gun of choice the gun shop usually handles the rest of the documentation but you will need to go to the gun registration department on Lardprao road to have your gun checked and your fingerprints documented. They will issue you a Por 4 in a few weeks which is a document that allows you to own a gun. By law you are only allowed to transport your gun in your car when going to the shooting range and the gun and the magazine must be physically separated e.g. gun in trunk and magazine in glove compartment (unloaded). You cannot carry it on you as that requires another type of permit.

As many other posters said. Be prepared to pay 3-4 times what you paid in the US. I also have the .357 Marlin lever action, awesome gun. If I had only one choice of gun I'd get a Les Baer. It costs about $2400 in the US and about $6000 (180,000 baht) here. Install a Cylinder and slide hammer and trigger set and your good to go.

If you have any other questions feel free to pm me. I'm thai by the way thats why I can buy guns.

Another source of info indicating Expat can purchase guns. Good article.

http://travel.cnn.com/bangkok/shop/bangkok-gun-shops-why-you-dont-want-buy-glock-thailand-009893

OK OZ and others. I take your point the topic is where to buy guns and related info. It is a divisive issue even in the USA. Thing is I live in Thailand so I do have an opinion about gun ownership HERE. Yes I posted some stats about murder rates in US etc. This was only to make point I don't want Thailand a basket case like USA. I didn't even go into accidental death and injury. Not to mention suicide. I want tighter gun laws for thailand . .

Bad news. Thailand's murder rate is higher than the USA. And that doesn't even include all the suicides under strange circumstances we read about every day.

Now, can we get back to discussing our hobby without your rude interruptions? There's about a hundred threads specifically about gun control where you can voice your perfectly valid opinions.

This isn't one of them. This is about folks that want to pursue a sport that, BTW, is included in the Olympics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate#By_country

Edited by impulse

Interesting thread !

I can imagine the Thai conversation when the wife applies for the gun licence .

Officer - Why do you want / need a gun?

Wife - Oh - I don't want a gun ---its for my husband

Officer -Why does your husband want a gun ?

Wife ---- He wants to shoot things !

Guess the outcome !

Look, I'm uneasy about guns and am glad to hell that Thailand has some relatively strict gun laws and where they aren't, price makes it hard to get to.

Having said that these blokes aren't discussing anything illegal and the OP sounds like he has a smarter better half who can be a dangerous weapon in herself ;) so the OP certainly doesn't need additional fire power.

So please let's just take your protests elsewhere and have a civil conversation. Merci.

Edited by samran

Guns Guns and more Guns

As if there is not enough death and pain in the world caused by guns a certain country which will remain nameless has that many killings by guns it does not even reach the papers but they keep on selling them DO NOT SAY it the people behind the gun the point is they are so easily available a dog could get one.......

Tell the parents of all the little kids who have been killed in schools etc guns are OK...see what the reply would be.

YOU want a gun go back to your own country and shoot it ...........simple really

Look OK gun people let me get back to the

OP.
Here's the thing... I'm a visitor to USA yes I might "live there " but its with a visa. None of us expats are Thai citizens.
So you an american citizen can come to Germany or Australiaon a visa and get a <deleted> gun.??
Give me a break. Go back to uUSA. And for those that stated the op was genuine and wanted legal option. Why ask about permit in wife name. Especially when later he stated wife ruled it out. ****Flame removed****

Edited by metisdead

Yes Thailand is stricter than the US

But for those that qualify to use them legally here, it's a legitimate hobby so why not?

I believe the OP wasn't asking about getting a permit for his wife to give him a loophole, but meant IN ADDITION to himself.

If you don't believe civilians should play with guns that's fine, but I thought the mods indicated that discussion was going to be kept out of this thread.

Some threads you should just ignore, believe me eventually they'll go away.

Yes WYN I agree the OP sounds genuine . point is in countries like say Australia even after strict permit is granted there are NUMEROUS regs relating to locked storage etc. Is this the case in Thailand?

I mean many States in USA for example Texas you don't even need a permit. My gig is not with the OP. He sounds genuine. Point is Thai are hopeless with most stuff. Fancy them policing gun laws. Too hard to contemplate

The topic of gun ownership is probably as controversial as talking about abortion. There will always be 2 sides.

Personally as a buddhist I don't participate or condone hunting or even fishing. I'm not a vegetarian either so could I be called a hypocrite? I do believe in the right to use lethal force to protect my family, myself and my property which I feel is especially validated considering the incompetence of Thai LE. I do not have the stomach to shoot an innocent animal but I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on an armed thief lunging at me. I enjoy shooting because it challenges my ability to focus and concentrate. It also teaches me discipline and restraint as the consequences for unjustified usage is time behind bars. For those who think hunting is a sport or that ordinary citizens should not be allowed to own firearms my only opinion is that at the end of the day it is an individual right unless the law says otherwise.

Respecting a difference in opinion does not mean we concede defeat but rather accepting the diversity.

Edited by smileydude

You got some useful answers but any question about guns brings out some who just want a fight. I wouldn't describe them as 'sensitive'.

Gun clubs may not have rifles to rent but they may have second hand rifles occasionally which, as I suggested previously, you might be able to buy and store there without a licence. I was once offered a second hand 9mm rifle with 'scope at our club where they have a good range for same. I took a few hours to think about it and it was gone!

You may also find a second hand rifle at a gun shop. Second hand guns may be purchased prior to applying for a licence. If you have already joined a club and they have agreed to store a rifle for you, you would be good to go.

Thanks, will look into the clubs when I come back from the US in a few months. Looking forward to going to the Range.

Yes WYN I agree the OP sounds genuine . point is in countries like say Australia even after strict permit is granted there are NUMEROUS regs relating to locked storage etc. Is this the case in Thailand?

I mean many States in USA for example Texas you don't even need a permit. My gig is not with the OP. He sounds genuine. Point is Thai are hopeless with most stuff. Fancy them policing gun laws. Too hard to contemplate

So don't think about it, not our business to try to "make the world right" here is it?