Thais can get a Bus License without ever driving on the road.

Dave 74

Well, just yesterday I noticed that they have repainted the cement barrier at the bottom of Patong hill.

It is now looking rather resplended in white with red arrows.

Ready for the next out of control bus to hit it and kill some more innocent people.

Talk of proper licencing for heavy vehicle drivers here in LOS in entirely facile.

Who would police whether or not the appropriate licences are held?

Yes the minibus drivers are complete knobs.

But my vote for the most deadly vehicles on the roads of Phuket is the cement trucks.

I was doing 130km per hour one evening on my big bike on Thep Krassatri road. I was overtaken by a cement truck.

Did I scare you? Sorry.

While we're talking Thai driver's licensees ................I heard several years ago that foreigners can't get a license to drive a vehicle a vehicle with more than 4 wheels and that put a stop to a fantasy I had of converting an old bus into a mobil home [camper]. Any truth to this??

Driver is a restricted occupation in Thailand, no work permit possible . Foreigner can't buy a new 9 seater minibus.

Edited by JesseFrank

I don't know about now, but it was even easier in Florida when I lived there. Show your operators license, your health card and get 15 out of 20 on a written test. Next.

What is difficult about driving a bus?

When I went for my Thai driver license some 15 year ago, I got only to show my international driver license, but my friend who hadn't one needed to do a theoretical test.

He got piece of paper with 28 multiple choice questions. When he started to mark the answers, and thereby looking at the questions and considering which was the right choice answer, the officer stepped up to him and pointed out that the correct answers were marked with pencil.facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Now don't go spoiling it by going public, better to wink wink nod nod. . .

Getting a license for a bribe is certainly universal so don't put it down to a Thai thing.

You mean it's done back in your home country?

I know in every state I've lived in both the civilian and the official would be sent to the monkey house for a decent stretch, more for the ID implications than road safety but when it comes up it's a big scandal. . .

The BKK busdrivers stop on the middle of the road, very annoying but they don't drive very agressive/bad.

Actually I've been scared out of my wits many many times as a passenger on BKK buses, they often race each other, get right over into the oncoming lanes to pass jams foot to the floor, don't give even elderly passengers the chance to fully get on or off in safety.

You must not ride them very much. . .

While we're talking Thai driver's licensees ................I heard several years ago that foreigners can't get a license to drive a vehicle a vehicle with more than 4 wheels and that put a stop to a fantasy I had of converting an old bus into a mobil home [camper]. Any truth to this??

Driver is a restricted occupation in Thailand, no work permit possible . Foreigner can't buy a new 9 seater minibus.

what happens if you have a wife and 7 kids ? is it impossible to buy a vehicle to legally drive the whole family around in ??

(for a farang obviously )

im sure a thai could buy anything he/she can afford and also buy a permit to "drive" it

what happens if you have a wife and 7 kids ? is it impossible to buy a vehicle to legally drive the whole family around in ??

(for a farang obviously )

im sure a thai could buy anything he/she can afford and also buy a permit to "drive" it

I guess there may be a distinction between family and commercial vehicles.

I have lived here for a few years now and driven on the roads and after some consideration and good deal of yelling at the interior of my car at other driver's stupidity and seemingly total lack of understanding of vehicle safety I have come to the following conclusions:

• Thais ride bicycles as if they are walking.
  • Thais ride motorbikes as if they are riding bicycles.
  • Thais drive cars as if they are riding motorbikes.
  • Thais drive trucks as if they are driving cars.
  • Thais drive buses as if they are driving trucks.
  • And each without the slightest consideration or thought for the others sharing the road with them.
  • Mini-van drivers are the worst offenders (actually ordered the driver of one once to stop so I could get out because he was a nut after clipping two cars and not stopping... it was a long walk back to the bus station (about 20 minutes, as we had just left!) but I was alive.
  • Taxis... like everywhere I have traveled they are all about the same (okay not always the case in London). Paris is maybe the worst as is Samara in Russia (where passing on the inside is just fine to do no matter if anyone happens to be crossing the street.

So the key here is to stay cool, keep your eyes open, be ready for anything, figure that everyone out there on the road is an idiot, and understand that none of the Thais have the faintest clue on how to actually drive a vehicle or form of transport properly. It is just an easy way of going fast and nothing more. Consideration is not a Thai issue in my book. There is a reason why Thailand is number 3 in the list on the world's list of traffic fatalities per capita.

Well, just yesterday I noticed that they have repainted the cement barrier at the bottom of Patong hill.

It is now looking rather resplended in white with red arrows.

Ready for the next out of control bus to hit it and kill some more innocent people.

Talk of proper licencing for heavy vehicle drivers here in LOS in entirely facile.

Who would police whether or not the appropriate licences are held?

Yes the minibus drivers are complete knobs.

But my vote for the most deadly vehicles on the roads of Phuket is the cement trucks.

I was doing 130km per hour one evening on my big bike on Thep Krassatri road. I was overtaken by a cement truck.

130km? Why dod you need that sort of speed. I know the road sort of asks for it I guess, been there done that. But 130km? Life is far more important that stretching the 'legs' of that "big bike" no matter who is sitting behind you. Just my thinking.

I also don't understand why a Thai with a Thai driverslicense can drive a car in Europe! It is legal to use it in Europe.wai2.gif We have to take at least 40 hours personal lessons with the instructor.

All that I know is that in the US you will be very hard pressed to be able to rent a car with a Thai DL. First of all they will ask you to have an International Permit. With that piece of paper/document you can rent whatever you want from anywhere and in whatever country... as long as you have the credit card to put down. There will also be a larger amount placed on hold to cover the rental on that card. The agencies have their own criteria on that issue that they follow depending upon your country of origin. You might also be required to accept the full insurance package, unless you are covered by a third party (Amex, etc).

But should Thais be allowed to rent/drive in other countries outside their geographical area? Not on your life! For the yellow line down the middle of the road everywhere else actually means something more than just being a 'suggestion' as do the white lane makers, the signs, the speed limit, the emergency lanes, traffic lights, ped crossings, and all the rest!

I was at the transport department to get my car and bike lisence renewed for 5 years the other day . I got my wife asking them if it was possible to get a truck lisence . He just smiled at her and said thats just for thai people . Foreigners could not . Protecting their own jobs i guess . thumbsup.gif

Edited by John Egil

I bet it's the same story for boats and planes for passengers.

The pilots can't even speak proper english so how can they conversate with the control towers?

For planes? Seriously, grow a brain....

• Like 2

The title should perhaps read, 'All Thais obtain a vehicle licence without ever driving on the road'.

MOT/DLT undertook a survey of Intercity bus drivers at Mo Chit back in 07/08 and found that over 30% did not have a licence. Not a bus licence, no licence full stop!!! A couple of recent bus crashes involving fatalities also reportedly involved drivers who were unlicensed.

And much like being caught unlicensed in Thailand where you are fined, you pay the 300 baht fine at the nearest police station and the return your vehicle and drive off, the bus drivers without licenses were just fined and allowed to proceed with their bus route.

It was reported in a Post article so I cannot post the relevant paragraph.

One positive thing is that the Transport Company is going to equip all buses with seatbelts and prior to the dissolution of parliament last year there is an intention to regulate compulsory seatbelt wearing on all public transport vehicles. However, regulation and enforcement as we know are two different things altogether......

Seat belts to be installed in public transportation, BANGKOK, 6 November 2013 (NNT) -
Transport Co. Ltd. has announced that all of its vehicles have been installed with seat belts to ensure the safety for its passengers. The company also plans to expand the idea into other public transport vehicles across the nation.

Statistics show that at least 40-50% of injuries in accidents occur from not wearing a seat belt. Transport Co. Ltd. has therefore taken the initiative to install seat belts in all of its 854 vehicles currently operating.

Moreover, the Ministry of Transport is in the process of drafting a ministerial regulation that enforces the use of seat belts on every public transport car. The law is expected to be put in place after the cabinet’s consideration, which should be by the end of this year.

Getting a license for a bribe is certainly universal so don't put it down to a Thai thing.

UNIVERSAL NOT. I am waiting for "Bob" from the UK, to chime in with the standard Thai apologists reply, DUH, DUH, its the same as the UK. NOT. or how about "Berkshire" to reply DUH, it happens all the time in New York

I bet it's the same story for boats and planes for passengers.

The pilots can't even speak proper english so how can they conversate with the control towers?

For planes? Seriously, grow a brain....

There was a a big stink some years back with Thai pilots "cheating" on training at Boeing due to poor English.

• Like 1

UNIVERSAL NOT. I am waiting for "Bob" from the UK, to chime in with the standard Thai apologists reply, DUH, DUH, its the same as the UK. NOT. or how about "Berkshire" to reply DUH, it happens all the time in New York

Actually, there have been occasional scandals in New York. But they are brought to light, the perpetrators prosecuted and AFAIK NOT a SINGLE developed nation has this problem at the systemic level, just bad individuals.