Issan style baraa recipe wanted

BakHamLe

Hi I am looking to mix together some baraa which is cured fish mixed with different spices for a while in a small tub.

Can someone ask their wife or gf for a recipe so I can mix together my own baraa.

I ultimately want to make bplaa deek bong which I love to dip sticky rice in.

Please include the time I need to allow it to cure for in the tub.

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's usually written "plaa raa".

There are a few recipes on the Internet for it, e.g. http://ediblyasian.info/recipes/pla-ra-padaek-fermented-fish-recipe-

However, making it yourself is dangerous. There's a real risk of opisthorchiasis (a parasitic infection of the liver which is widespread in Isaan). Commercially available plaa raa is pasteurised to eliminate this risk.

There are easier ways to kill yourself than eating Bpa-laa. blink.png

And I believe the secret to the proper process is NEVER empty the container, just add new contents occasionally after the standard 12 month fermentation process. Some of the stuff my missus has in her jar is probably older than Buddha.....and smells like it. facepalm.gif

Thanks for the info guys, about that parasitic infection, what are the symptoms? If I am cooking the bplaa Raa making bplaa deek bong the parasites should die in the process. I did eat a lot of the stuff raw every day for 3 months I'm wondering if I have the parasite, I never got sick or anything while I was there, even after eating raw laap duck and beef blood salads haha.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Most people (around 80%) have no obvious symptoms. Some may experience diarrhoea, abdominal pain, oedema. Prolonged infection leads to cancer of the bile duct, for which there's no treatment - you die.

Thorough cooking will kill the parasite, as will prolonged deep freezing.

If in doubt, best thing to do is get a stool test at your local hospital.

One of the keys is making sure the container is well sealed, and kept sealed. My wife makes hers by adding the fish and salt for to the jar and leaving it for 6 months sealed, after which it is opened and a secret ingredients added to improve the flavour (which she hasn't told me, although Pineapple has been mentioned) then it is resealed making sure no flies have got it (very important). Each family/person has their recipe and method gleaned from years of experience (think mama's Italian tomato sauce secret recipe etc).

A good Plah Rah/Plah Dairk should only have a moderately pungent smell, but not a gag inducing smell. (For example, My wife's home made Plah Dairk smells no where near as bad as the brown sludge that can be bought at the market in town)

totster :)