Eleven Thais make Forbes' billionaires list

webfact

Actually the list is not very accurate.

They forgot to count those Thai politicians and military big wigs with cash stashed in offshore accounts and under their beds.

You'd be surprised what you can find under their beds.

Or who they're in bed with (figuratively).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To publish this list is an act of cruelty.....Suthep will die of envy if he see it...

I'm shocked he's not on it after reading numerous posts proclaiming he was even more corrupt than Thaksin, who is, unsurprisingly, on the list.

Could have all of those posts been nonsense hyberbole from Thaksin apologists?

None for farmers; just for rich chinese families, hence part of the problem of economic distribution problems and greed.

CP, the richest man in Thailand, is a farmer.

Or at least he help the farmers get rich.

Forbes is confused, because in order to decide who is the most rich and powerful people they can only count the declared money and legal business, not the underground operations.

That's why they cannot decide which one of this 3 is the real winner:

1660457_710544075642754_270893694_n.jpg

Nen kham, Thaksin, or Dhammakaya? laugh.png

This list rather gives a lie to the financial omnipotence of the Shinawatra family that some people peddle on this forum. comparatively small fry.

mostly ethnic Chinese, mostly desperately anxious to cling on to their fortunes and happily funding the PDRC. The richest: Dhanin Chearavanont owns CP foods of which Mr. Abhisit's father is or was until recently a director, which starts to illustrate how these people are interconnected.

Forbes can only publish what they are informed of.

The Shins have a lot more money than they admit to.

The only surprise here is that none of the Shin's staff (driver, gardener, maid, etc.) make this list.

They have done an excellent job of spreading/hiding their ill gotten gains.

True enough. For example Vladimir Putin is one of the richest men in the world yet according to him he's potless and Hun Sen claims he manages on his meagre PM's salary yet has his fat fingers in every Cambodian pie.

But I hope no one is suggesting that the Shinawats would ever lie about their assets.

That's BS, what evidence do you have that "Shins have a lot more money than they admit to.." what are you suggesting that they actually have another 5 Bil that no one knows about? and the figure listed in the newspaper is not "what they admit to.." it's what they have, i guess ou think it's so easy to hide 5 billion$s.. and if they "have alot more money" then what does that say about the otehrs on the list, don't they also have alot more money?

This list rather gives a lie to the financial omnipotence of the Shinawatra family that some people peddle on this forum. comparatively small fry.

mostly ethnic Chinese, mostly desperately anxious to cling on to their fortunes and happily funding the PDRC. The richest: Dhanin Chearavanont owns CP foods of which Mr. Abhisit's father is or was until recently a director, which starts to illustrate how these people are interconnected.

The only surprise here is that none of the Shin's staff (driver, gardener, maid, etc.) make this list.

Can be mentioned that Forbes have made Stein Erik Hagen as Norway's richest man (that actually lives in Norway), by miles, but in reality he is ranked 5th. They also forgot 12 Norwegians that would've made it to the list. Among the forgotten is Olav Thon (Norways richest man that actually lives in Norway), Norway's 4rd-, 7th-, 10th- and 8 more of Norways richest.

http://www.hegnar.no/personlig_okonomi/article758325.ece (Norwegian article)

http://www.kapital400.no/ (List of the 400 richest Norwegians. List also include Norwegians that has flagged out of Norway)

Because he was forced to become a Montenegrean by a coup, AFTER (not before) the coup he was brought up on a bunch of bogus charges, if they were not bogus then it would not have been necessary to have a coup and they could just have thrown him in jail for all this illegal sht he was doing, but he wasn't doing anything illegal so we had a coup and then we charged him with "Abuse of Power", then the coup left all these lying PAD activist on the bench, so it's not necessary to have more coups, we can just keep sacking elected PMs for going on a cooking show (guilty of corruption) or the current favorite "deriliction of duty"

Why is Thaksin listed as a Thai ?? Isn't his nationality now a Montenegran. ( His current Thai passport was issued illegally by one of his relatives in Government)

Actually the list is not very accurate.

They forgot to count those Thai politicians and military big wigs with cash stashed in offshore accounts and under their beds.

You'd be surprised what you can find under their beds.

You had much experience looking????

I do find it interesting that Thaksin is only one listed "and family". How about the other fat cats and their families? No.1 has almost ten times the loot Thaksin "and family" does. I wonder who he buys with it....

How many of these billionaires support charities and make a difference in the world as do billionaires like Gates or Buffet?

I find it somewhat odd that the Gates and Clinton charities (along with foreign governments) provided the money to fund the HIV and malaria projects in Thailand. Where were these Thai billionaires when the funds were being pledged?

Which universities have these billionaires funded? Have any of them funded a construction project? Walk onto a US, or Canadian or Singapore or Japanese etc. university campus and one will see a library or other major building named in honour of the person or family that put up the money.

Thais like to make a public spectacle when they engage in charitable funding, and yet, I can't recall any of these billionaires pledging 100 million baht, or even 50 million baht from their own pockets for a major undertaking. Interesting isn't it? in the USA, there is an active group of young heirs to mega fortunes who are active in giving of both their time and their money to worthy causes. I have never seen any of Thailand's rich kids do that. My takeaway is that Thailand's super wealthy are a selfish group of people. Is it any wonder, there is such latent hatred and resentment?

Give! Donate! Support!

What disgusting words!

These people only know how to amass money and then spend their days counting it.

How many of these billionaires support charities and make a difference in the world as do billionaires like Gates or Buffet?

I find it somewhat odd that the Gates and Clinton charities (along with foreign governments) provided the money to fund the HIV and malaria projects in Thailand. Where were these Thai billionaires when the funds were being pledged?

Which universities have these billionaires funded? Have any of them funded a construction project? Walk onto a US, or Canadian or Singapore or Japanese etc. university campus and one will see a library or other major building named in honour of the person or family that put up the money.

Thais like to make a public spectacle when they engage in charitable funding, and yet, I can't recall any of these billionaires pledging 100 million baht, or even 50 million baht from their own pockets for a major undertaking. Interesting isn't it? in the USA, there is an active group of young heirs to mega fortunes who are active in giving of both their time and their money to worthy causes. I have never seen any of Thailand's rich kids do that. My takeaway is that Thailand's super wealthy are a selfish group of people. Is it any wonder, there is such latent hatred and resentment?

Some of them donate a lot of money, but they expect something in return. They donate to organizations like the UFO Dhammakaya Cult (the ones that claim that Bill Gates has reborn as a semi-god in a heavenly palace) in order to obtain merits and a better rebirth on their next life.

1621714_581357058616037_1442239792_n.png

Edited by MGP
  • Like 1

And the Shins are the only wealthy in Thailand to hide wealth? While I have no doubt about Khun Thaksin, it's a bit old that the sole focus of many looks only in one direction. If more of the leaders helped the grass roots, Thailand would not be in this particular spot.

• Like 1

Dhanin Chearavanont has his fingers in a few pies.......

• CP Group (Main parent company for all companies listed below) [2]
  • Ping An Insurance (Largest Shareholder, China's second largest life insurer). [3]
  • CP ALL (Thailand, third largest Seven Eleven Chain in the world with over 6,000 stores.) [4]
  • Charoen Pokphand Foods (CPF Global, with operations in dozens of countries. CPF is the world's largest producer of shrimp, animal feed, and the world's third largest chicken and pork producer). [5]
  • True Corporation (Largest Internet Service Provider, Cable Television Network, and third largest Wireless Carrier in Thailand). [6]
  • Siam Makro (Largest Cash & Carry retailer in Thailand). [7]
  • Chesters Grill (Major fast food chain in Thailand). [8]
  • Dayang Motos (China's third largest motorcycle manufacturer). [9]
  • CP PC (Major plastic production manufacturer with plants in Thailand, China, and Vietnam). [10]
  • Lotus Supermarket Chain[11] (China)
  • Super Brand Mall, Shanghai.[12]
  • True Growth Infrastructure Fund (A $2 billion fund set up to manage True's extensive telecommunication assets including Thailand's largest fibre optic network and largest 3G & 4G cell networks. It became Thailand's second largest IPO ever in late 2013. True Corp is True GIF's largest shareholder.)
  • C.P. Pokphand Listed in Hong Kong, CPP is one of the world's largest producers of feed and one of China's leading agricultural companies with factories nationwide. [13]
  • C.P. Fresh MartA Thai based chain selling frozen foods and finished products, now has over 700 branches. [14]
  • C.P. Land C.P. Land manages several Bangkok properties including C.P. Tower 1 & 2. It is listed through C.P. Land Infrastructure Fund and has a market capitalization of over U.S.$300 million.
  • Concordian International School (Thailand).
  • Magnolia Quality Development Corporation Limited (Thailand).[15]

In comparison with what he has in Thailand, his interests in China are 10 times bigger. They have been there so long, people think it is a Chinese company. I was given a copy of the China daily once, with his picture front and centre having a quiet cup fo Chinese tea with Zhang Zhemin. He is the go to guy to fix entry to the CHinese market for many South East Asian companies. Say what you like, but he gets stuff done. I am sure he is all for opening up the food business in Thailand to increase competition among buyers to help farmers get a better earning and to potentially increase Thai agribusiness exports. I mean, all for the good of the country and all....

Where it says he is the third largest producer of chicken and pork globally, that is as maybe. I think you might find that he is by far and away the largest in one market - China.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

Thanks to the technology boom and strong stock market, the United States once again leads the world with 492 billionaires, followed by China with 152 and Russia with 111. But wealth is spreading to new places. Forbes found billionaires for the first time in Algeria, Lithuania, Tanzania and Uganda.

Typical of Forbes to say that because they found a few new billionaires in new places, that wealth is spreading.

What this really means is that a few connected individuals are creaming off the wealth of poor countries while the gap between to richest 10% and the poorest 10% is widening in many rich and poor countries.

Some of them donate a lot of money, but they expect something in return. They donate to organizations like the UFO Dhammakaya Cult (the ones that claim that Bill Gates has reborn as a semi-god in a heavenly palace) in order to obtain merits and a better rebirth on their next life.

1621714_581357058616037_1442239792_n.png

That was Steve Jobs, not Bill Gates..

When asking a Thai why foreigners are not allowed to buy land in Thailand but Thais can buy overseas the answer was "Poor country". The only reason why there are so many of these people in Thailand is because they ensure they keep the market share for themselves and allow farangs to only buy a "Bar in Pattaya" etc or some BS business that they don't control and doesn't make much money and most importantly is not a threat to these kind of people and they say they want "Democracy"?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Huge mistake! I do not see my wife's name on that list. biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png alt=biggrin.png width=20 height=20>

I owe 4billion do I count

No, but you become very powerful. There is an old saying in business, when the debt is small the banks own you, when the debt becomes huge you own the banks. They will do anything not to loose their money.

"Hey, go get this guy Thaksin, or I think I will go broke.."

"Yassuh"

The problem is how to loose your first billions.

"They will do anything not to loose their money."

"The problem is how to loose your first billions."

And another old say is:

111q.jpg

When asking a Thai why foreigners are not allowed to buy land in Thailand but Thais can buy overseas the answer was "Poor country". The only reason why there are so many of these people in Thailand is because they ensure they keep the market share for themselves and allow farangs to only buy a "Bar in Pattaya" etc or some BS business that they don't control and doesn't make much money and most importantly is not a threat to these kind of people and they say they want "Democracy"?

You seem to be having an imagined conversation with yourself where you write the script.

"the answer was "Poor country". "

"they say they want "Democracy"?"

"Democracy" has nothing to do with foreigners being able to buy assets . Every country on earth has some restrictions, de facto or de jure, on investment and ownership by foreigners depending on what it considers to be in the best interest of its own citizens.

de·moc·ra·cy
diˈmäkrəsē/
noun
a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives.
Do you actually think foreigners are entitled to elect representatives in any country?
The United States is both the world's largest foreign direct investor and the largest beneficiary of foreign direct investment (FDI). But like every sovereign country, it has sought to temper its embrace of open markets with the protection of national security interests. Achieving this balance, which has shifted over time, has meant placing certain limitations on overseas investment in strategically sensitive sectors of the U.S. economy.

http://www.cfr.org/foreign-direct-investment/foreign-investment-us-national-security/p31477

The Government reviews foreign investment proposals against the national interest case-by-case.
We prefer this flexible approach to hard and fast rules. Rigid laws that prohibit a class of
investments too often also stop valuable investments. The case-by-case approach maximises
investment flows, while protecting Australia’s interests. Our Foreign Investment Review Board
(FIRB) will work with an applicant to ensure the national interest is protected. But, if we ultimately
determine that a proposal is contrary to the national interest, we will not approve it.

https://www.firb.gov.au/content/_downloads/AFIP_2013.pdf

Edited by Suradit69

I agree 100%