Bangkok Traffic Police to reinforce strict rule from March 7

webfact

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They only going to enforce the rules on the road too or will it cover those driving on sidewalks too?

It is not against the law to ride a motorcycle on the sidewalk. Why do you think a lot of sidewalks have the kerbs lowered at junctions? Certainly not for wheelchair users. OH, and this is Thailand.

Footpaths in Thailand are design and logic-free, highly hazardous monstrosities. I trod on a seemingly solid flagstone the other day which gave way beneath me and almost dropped me into a deep, wet hole. Then it reverted to its former apparently harmless appearance. Stupid farang!

Of course its not illegal to ride motorcycles on footpaths with pedestrians! What could possibly go wrong with that?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The idea of a taffic fine in Thailand gives me the impression that the Police only wants to find new ways of making money for themselves and nothing else will come out of it. Allowing fines to be collected by the police officers on the streets and check-points is like giving a piece red meat to a Lion and ask him to deliver it to the supermarket for sale. All the systems involving police in Thailand are almost as if they are designed with a corruption in mind. There is no check and balance to ensure accountability of actions, let alone accounting for financial matters. No police personnel should handle any type of money involving the public. All fines must be paid at a designated authority, such as the court or special office set up for collecting fines. All fines must be recorded with serial number receipts with regular auditing to ensure there is no discrepency in the collection of payment. In a democratic society where fines are imposed as civil forfeiture, there must be a due process that ensure the fine is not just being imposed for no justifiable legal reason. In other words, no police officer is allowed to just write tickets without having to account for them and having to testify in court to show proof beyond reasonable doub that such offense did occur and that the law enforcement action taken is in line with the established policy and procedure. BUT then again, we are talking about Thailand, a country that is considered to be somewhat developed, but yet lacks so many basic fundamental systems to ensure things are actually working effectively with tangible results. In almost everything that is created by the government, there are major flaws that seem to be purposely overlooked. There is no consistency in any practice or standard of enforcement. Enforcement actions are often fluctuated from one person to the next depending on his or her status. I have witnessed so many times where a person driving a BMW or Mercedes is allowed to park in a certain area of the street where it is obviously illegal and unsafe for the general public, while at the same time, an ordinary car would be asked to move or be fined for doing exactly the same thing. This is known as selective enforcement, which is illegal and considered to be the same as corruption or abuse of authority.

Well, I avoid renting & driving vehicles in Thailand at all costs and so don't really deal with this, but I know a simple speeding ticket in California, including fees & costs, can run USD300. That doesn't include traffic school (to get the points removed), increased auto insurance costs, etc. I know the Thai way is born of corruption, but it's sure a whole lot cheaper & easier...

In Aust it is $375 for talking on a mobile device and up to a $1000 for speeding. Mid you the road toll has been cut dramatically over the past 20 years

Some people seem to forget that the poor traffic police have been hit hard financially by the anti government protests. These have been difficult times for them what with having to keep a low profile instead of being out and about collecting fines.

did you forget they get a government salary as well ? all that tea money they collect is just a one of the "perks " of the job smile.png

unless they been living well outside their means im sure a few weeks protest hasnt put them in financially " difficult times "

and if it has then they deserve it

Gosh, that's my trouble I guess. I'm just too saintly and I only ever see the good in people..... even the police. wai2.gif

And the average government salary of a Thai Traffic Policeman is?.. I think you had a valid point.

I believe the valid point would be, if they chose the job, just try to show at least the slightest of competency. This is a question to the entire police force.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

In all fairness to the traffic police every fine I have paid has been because I was making a mistake or intentionally did something I knew was against the law of Bangkok! Like when I first came and road my 800 up onto the tollway! :)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

But most drivers don't know what the rules are do they and many will not even stop at red light crossings, good luck to the cops.

Aren't they supposed to do this as part of their job anyway? Also...............500 Baht is not going to deter the majority of drivers.

Just saying to the people who believe the police are fair. I rode my bike, both me & my wife wearing helmets, in the furthest right lane on Sirinakrin Rd, I was waved over by a traffic police. He explained to my wife it was illegal to ride in that lane as it was for cars only. Meanwhile dozens of Thais were speeding by in the same lane & many didn't even have helmets. He threaten to take away my driving papers & I would then have to pick them up at another location. My wife asked him want the bribe was, he said 200, my wife said 100, he said okay.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

A police officer in Thailand starts at THB7200 a month, unless it's gone up in the last three years. Not much to live on in Bangkok.

I'm not condoning the bribery system, but if police and other government employees were paid a decent salary then it would be much easier to condemn them.

Also, in my experience of 12 years in the Greater Bangkok area, I think they do a good job at keeping the traffic moving in the peak periods.

The idea of a taffic fine in Thailand gives me the impression that the Police only wants to find new ways of making money for themselves and nothing else will come out of it. Allowing fines to be collected by the police officers on the streets and check-points is like giving a piece red meat to a Lion and ask him to deliver it to the supermarket for sale. All the systems involving police in Thailand are almost as if they are designed with a corruption in mind. There is no check and balance to ensure accountability of actions, let alone accounting for financial matters. No police personnel should handle any type of money involving the public. All fines must be paid at a designated authority, such as the court or special office set up for collecting fines. All fines must be recorded with serial number receipts with regular auditing to ensure there is no discrepency in the collection of payment. In a democratic society where fines are imposed as civil forfeiture, there must be a due process that ensure the fine is not just being imposed for no justifiable legal reason. In other words, no police officer is allowed to just write tickets without having to account for them and having to testify in court to show proof beyond reasonable doub that such offense did occur and that the law enforcement action taken is in line with the established policy and procedure. BUT then again, we are talking about Thailand, a country that is considered to be somewhat developed, but yet lacks so many basic fundamental systems to ensure things are actually working effectively with tangible results. In almost everything that is created by the government, there are major flaws that seem to be purposely overlooked. There is no consistency in any practice or standard of enforcement. Enforcement actions are often fluctuated from one person to the next depending on his or her status. I have witnessed so many times where a person driving a BMW or Mercedes is allowed to park in a certain area of the street where it is obviously illegal and unsafe for the general public, while at the same time, an ordinary car would be asked to move or be fined for doing exactly the same thing. This is known as selective enforcement, which is illegal and considered to be the same as corruption or abuse of authority.

Well, I avoid renting & driving vehicles in Thailand at all costs and so don't really deal with this, but I know a simple speeding ticket in California, including fees & costs, can run USD300. That doesn't include traffic school (to get the points removed), increased auto insurance costs, etc. I know the Thai way is born of corruption, but it's sure a whole lot cheaper & easier...

In Aust it is $375 for talking on a mobile device and up to a $1000 for speeding. Mid you the road toll has been cut dramatically over the past 20 years

Yeah, imagine if they started dishing out 30, 000 B fines for speed dangerous! AND started to enforce it!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sad they did not start today...I saw a miniwan crash near Tha Maka this morning.

No way the driver and frontseat passengers could have survived....

But if I know the thai correct that is forgotten tomorrow and everybody will

continue driving maaddddd no matter what happens and what rules they reinforce :-(

Edited by Muggi1968

Sad they did not start today...I saw a miniwan crash near Tha Maka this morning.

No way the driver and frontseat passengers could have survived....

But if I know the thai correct that is forgotten tomorrow and everybody will

continue driving maaddddd no matter what happens and what rules they reinforce :-(

Tomorrow...what's that? Yesterday....never heard of it!!

It's all about today and right now.

sutheps thugs are armed and dangerous should they want to remove any of their trucks and cars

Out of 18 posts on this thread dealing with Bangkok police and planned enforcement of rules, you are the only numbass to bring up Suthep AND ta da ...... his thugees.clap2.gifwhistling.gif Well done.

You know TV, had to happen sooner or later. PM will be next in line!

Wow police actually doing their job. No wonder this makes the news.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Police always do their job. Try calling them they will come and find all sorts of stuff that you have done wrong!

Anyway who wants a police state like the US?

Anyone who has been here for any length of time has seen news reports "Police will enforce this regulation or that regulation" and nothing happens. All talk and no action. I think the hardest the traffic police work is collecting "fines" each month.

"One of the most important traffic campaigns is stricter enforcement of parking rules"

Yes thats the most important thing isnt it, I wonder how many are killed due to bad parking as opposed to plain moronic driving............. they make u laugh they really dorolleyes.gif

• Like 1

They only going to enforce the rules on the road too or will it cover those driving on sidewalks too?

Excellent point. Being a pedestrian only in BKK, the strict application of those strict rules on footpaths would be a blessing for me. I presume Thais would appreciate it also.

But most drivers don't know what the rules are do they and many will not even stop at red light crossings, good luck to the cops.

Neither do the police.

How many have you seen:

Ride without helmets

Ride on footpaths

Ride on the wrong side of the road

Jump red lights

Talk on mobile while riding motorbike

also (not traffic related) throwing cigarette ends on the floor.?

Like this bloke I snapped - helmut straps flapping in the breeze, unregistered motosi. Sigh . . .

post-184129-0-34878500-1394148232_thumb.

• Like 1

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Traffic Police & rules ?

They are the most corrupt team which I have seen but use to I work Africa also.

They have a new system now for recieve the BST tea money for mia noi.

Just take a look, sukhumvit 62., opposite side, there is a sport land. If some-one (of course almost every-one) has to pay to dirty pocket, has to go inside the sport land, behind the fence and hadge, and the "cassa" is there.

The police have to aviod the lot of camera (cars, phones from BTS station, bus station, bypassers).

Very very smart. clap2.gif They can respond to the new challenge. wub.png

What the hell are you trying to say ....???