accomodation query

Hi I am currently living at my mothers house who has 3 bedrooms I am planning to bring my wife stepdaughter who is 12 and my son the problem I have my brother has moved back temp for 6 months and is signing on so I can no longer use this adress as I take it the eco will check this? My friend has a property which I can rent when finished in a couple of months.i am planning to apply settlement visa in june what I am asking is can I pay the deposit to him and show proof also the tennacy agreement ie I currently live here but will be living here when visa accepted help am confused

I think you mean that you wish to bring your wife, your wife's daughter and your son to the UK and that you are concerned that your current accommodation will be considered as over crowded by HM Entry Clearance Officer?

You then go on to say that your friend can rent a property to you that will be large enough to house your family as mentioned above.

Well, I don't think anyone can give a definite response as to how the ECO will view this, I suppose it boils down to whether he feels it is truthful. However I am pretty sure that you will need more than just having paid a deposit, you will need an AST agreement, (Assured Shorthold Tenanancy Agreement) signed, as regulated by the Housing Act. It will need to be signed by all parties and your deposit will have to be lodged in accordance with UK Law. I think if you can show your post dated and signed AST together with the Certificate that confirms the deposit had been lodged or insured in accordance with UK Law then it is clear that you have the accommodation secured and available.

As I said I cannot comment on what the ECO would say, although since I own an Estate Agency in the UK as well as Thailand, I would be pleased to provide you with a blank AST agreement. You will have to fill in the names of everyone above the age of 18 and get it all signed up of course. PM me if you want it with no charge and my best wishes !

SDM

• Like 1

You should be in the electoral role for wherever you are living. However it is quite common for tenants not to register, but they will usually be registered on a property that they lived in formerly.

Normally the way around this is to show a utility bill in your name or perhaps a bank statement that has been sent to that address.

SDM

Edited by SDM0712

Thanks sdm what I am asking is if I am not on electrol roll at my current adress will this cause a problem for the eco when applying as I only pay rent I have bank staements in this adress or can I put my name on a bill confused

What I am asking is at my current adress I only pay rent and am not on electrol roll will this be a problem when the eco looks at applicaton ie proof where I live I have bank statements in current adress or should I put my name on a bill and pay it ie water rates confused

Hi Jim

I don't think anyone can comment what the ECO will require as proof of address, but what I can tell you is what we would require as evidence of address when running someone through a credit check if they are not on the voters roll, and that would be any utility bill, including a landline telephone bill, bank statements. Personally since you are obviously concerned about this I would compile a file of say six months worth of original letters etc from as many official sources as possible.

Stephen

You do not need to be on the electoral roll for the address where you and your family will be living.

You do need to provide evidence that you either own the property or you and your family have the permission of the owner to live there; e.g. the deeds or a mortgage statement if you own, a tenancy agreement if renting or a letter from the actual owner if living with family. If living with family and they own the property then they should evidence of this, or if they rent then a letter from their landlord confirming that you can live there and that there is room for you.

See the accommodation parts of UK settlement visa basics and Maintenance and Accommodation for more details.