Cricket T20 World Cup 2014 Thread

The T20 World cup is fast approaching. March 16 – April 6

The World’s best teams are playing and also England.

The draw is broken up into 16 teams. The top ranked 8 teams are guaranteed a place in the Super10.

The other 2 teams will come from the qualifying rounds.

Here are the teams:

Direct Super 10 Qualifiers (I have included betting odds as an indication of pre tournament favoritism. $1 pays $xx)

$5 Australia

$5 India

$7 Sri Lanka

$7 South Africa

$7 West Indies

$8 Pakistan

$10 New Zealand

$12 England

Groups Qualifiers

$41-Bangladesh

$201-Zimbabwe (England have taken their best players for years so no chance for these guys)

$301- Afghanistan (rumoured to have some explosive batsmen)

$301-Ireland

$501-Hong Kong

$501-Nepal

$501-Netherlands

$501-United Arab Emirates

(To confuse everyone, the Women’s T20 is running in parallel with the main event. saai.gif.pagespeed.ce.f25DL0fHCd.gif Nuff said about that )

http://www.icc-cricket.com/world-t20

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_ICC_World_Twenty20#Teams

• Like 1

The Aussies are taking a 43 year old spinner to the T20 world cup in Brad Hogg!

Aussies team:

George Bailey (Capt, Hobart Hurricanes)
Dan Christian (Brisbane Heat)
Nathan Coulter-Nile (Perth Scorchers)
James Faulkner (Melbourne Stars)
Aaron Finch (Melbourne Renegades)
Brad Haddin (Sydney Sixers)
Brad Hodge (Melbourne Stars)
Brad Hogg (Perth Scorchers)
Glenn Maxwell (Melbourne Stars)
James Muirhead (Melbourne Stars)
Mitchell Johnson (Brisbane Heat)
Mitchell Starc (Sydney Sixers)
David Warner (Sydney Thunder)
Shane Watson (Brisbane Heat)
Cameron White (Melbourne Stars)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After already losing Joe Root, this is the last thing England needed.

England all-rounder Ben Stokes breaks hand after punching locker during West Indies game.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/cricket/england-allrounder-ben-stokes-breaks-hand-after-punching-locker-during-west-indies-game/story-fnlvo4y6-1226855410038

He will break his other hand punching the wall, angry at missing the T20 world cup biggrin.png

• Like 1

Players will look at Jonathan Trott and think he did a runner

I feel a little bit conned we were told Jonathan Trott's problems in Australia were a stress-related illness he had suffered for years. We were allowed to believe he was struggling with a serious mental health issue and treated him with sensitivity and sympathy. He was obviously not in a great place but he was struggling for cricketing reasons and not mental, and there is a massive difference. There is a danger we are starting to use stress-related illness and depression too quickly as tags for players under pressure.

In his interview with Sky Sports he then completely disrespected anybody who has gone through depression and mental illness by using words such as "nutcase" or "crazy". We have all said things we regret in the media but I find it staggering he is so ill-informed that he used those words. I have friends who have been diagnosed with depression. They are not nutcases or crazy. They have picked up an illness that is invisible to others but can be debilitating. We have seen other England cricketers suffer from depression and I do not think Trott realises just how important an issue it is.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/players-will-look-at-jonathan-trott-and-think-he-did-a-runner-20140317-hvjis.html

Players will look at Jonathan Trott and think he did a runner

I feel a little bit conned we were told Jonathan Trott's problems in Australia were a stress-related illness he had suffered for years. We were allowed to believe he was struggling with a serious mental health issue and treated him with sensitivity and sympathy. He was obviously not in a great place but he was struggling for cricketing reasons and not mental, and there is a massive difference. There is a danger we are starting to use stress-related illness and depression too quickly as tags for players under pressure.

In his interview with Sky Sports he then completely disrespected anybody who has gone through depression and mental illness by using words such as "nutcase" or "crazy". We have all said things we regret in the media but I find it staggering he is so ill-informed that he used those words. I have friends who have been diagnosed with depression. They are not nutcases or crazy. They have picked up an illness that is invisible to others but can be debilitating. We have seen other England cricketers suffer from depression and I do not think Trott realises just how important an issue it is.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/players-will-look-at-jonathan-trott-and-think-he-did-a-runner-20140317-hvjis.html

Woah, controversial article by Michael Vaughan.

Speaks a lot of sense IMO.

• Like 1

The Aussies play our Kiwi friends today at about 16:30 hours (Thai time).

It's a warm up only but will be good to see how the boys go.

I was interested to read that Wasim Akram didn't rate the Aussies

in the top 3.

• Like 1

The Aussies kick off tomorrow against Pakistan.

Pakistan lost yesterday to India so a must win game for them.

I'm hoping flat decks and small boundaries will not be able to curtail

the Aussie batting line up.

• Like 1

The Aussies kick off tomorrow against Pakistan.

Pakistan lost yesterday to India so a must win game for them.

I'm hoping flat decks and small boundaries will not be able to curtail

the Aussie batting line up.

Netherlands

and

Bangladesh

Made it through to the super 10 round.

Australia would be feeling extra confident this comp based on their form

Edited by BookMan

I think Bailey got too far ahead of himself.

To win the toss and bowl was a big mistake IMO.

Especially against Pakistan who have a history of imploding.

Also, bowling Finch for an (22) over was a biggie. I think Finch

bowled one over in the Big Bash that went for 24.

• Like 1

Looks like it's all over for the boys.

The batting, especially Watson and Bailey failed again.

What was Watson thinking with 2 off 8 on a ground that

had a 59 meter boundary? That's like reducing the game to 19 overs.

I think the top 4 has to have a strike rate of 130 plus. It's stupid to

face 6 dot balls.

Once again, I think Bailey had a bad game with the captaincy.

Watson had bowled 2 overs for 11 and he turns to Starc who

was going at over 10. I know Starc had been in good form, but

I don't think Bailey thinks on his feet enough.

Not going through to the second round should mean the end of

Baileys career IMO.

I think it's time to bring in Steve Smith and make him captain.

• Like 1

Looks like it's all over for the boys.

The batting, especially Watson and Bailey failed again.

What was Watson thinking with 2 off 8 on a ground that

had a 59 meter boundary? That's like reducing the game to 19 overs.

I think the top 4 has to have a strike rate of 130 plus. It's stupid to

face 6 dot balls.

Once again, I think Bailey had a bad game with the captaincy.

Watson had bowled 2 overs for 11 and he turns to Starc who

was going at over 10. I know Starc had been in good form, but

I don't think Bailey thinks on his feet enough.

Not going through to the second round should mean the end of

Baileys career IMO.

I think it's time to bring in Steve Smith and make him captain.

I didn't see any of this game unfortunately. I've seen Watson go into a strange batting meltdown before but u can't do it in a T20.

We started favourites and two losses now...Pakistan and then w Indies.

Smith would be a good long term replacement

Sent from my HTC One X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

The end of an appalling winter for England.

Rain and D/L defeating them against New Zealand.

Memorable win over Sri Lanka.

Appalling bowling and fielding meant losing to South Africa, who scored 55 of the last three; though a valiant effort, from Bopara in particular, meant falling only three runs short.

Then all out for 88 off 17.4 overs against the Dutch to lose by 45 runs. OK, England were out of the competition by then; but show some pride, lads!

Small consolation that the Aussies didn't make it to the semis, either! xtongue.png.pagespeed.ic.JwCxzAWj6x.pngwhistling.gif

Semi-finals
3 April; Sri Lanka v West Indies, Mirpur (d/n)

4 April: India v South Africa, Mirpur (d/n)

On the bright side; England play South Africa in the semi final of the women's competition on Friday.

• Like 2

Appalling bowling and fielding meant losing to South Africa, who scored 55 of the last three; though a valiant effort, from Bopara in particular, meant falling only three runs short.

Then all out for 88 off 17.4 overs against the Dutch to lose by 45 runs. OK, England were out of the competition by then; but show some pride, lads!

Small consolation that the Aussies didn't make it to the semis, either! xtongue.png.pagespeed.ic.JwCxzAWj6x.pngwhistling.gif

Semi-finals

On the bright side; England play South Africa in the semi final of the women's competition on Friday.

England lost to the Dutch?

Thankfully I have not been able to watch the tournament...Australia going down in the group round

That is the nature of T20, and a factor that keeps it interesting...any team can win with just a couple of exceptional performances

• Like 1

Semi-finals

England lost to the Dutch?

Thankfully I have not been able to watch the tournament...Australia going down in the group round

That is the nature of T20, and a factor that keeps it interesting...any team can win with just a couple of exceptional performances

Australia had their arse handed to them by the Windies, the Pakis and the Indians. As usual the brains trust got it wrong and went into these games in Bangladesh with only one spinner and 4 pace bowlers. A potential match winner in Hogg spent most of the tournament watching from the side.

At least they beat the home side, so didn't suffer the ignominy of losing to a weak team the way England did.

^ hold your horses just a minute you lot.

the Netherlands aren't as bad as you think.

off the top of my head in the knockout qualifying groups they beat the Irish in less 14 over chasing a 180+ target to get through to the main tournament.

they were a should of beaten S. A. a canter had it not been for some poor batting down the order and some good comeback bowling.

they have some exceptional quicks, a good spinner and a couples of Aussie ringers that bat well and ply their trade in the leagues down under.

as for the tournament itself it is what it is just like any other t/ 20 match truely unpredictable and IMHO not cricket.

its a shame to have seen good sides like the black caps, Pakistanis and Aussies exit so early compared maybe a side like the Windies.

having said that i hope the Indians win, they have been true class in every department.

as for the Lankans they have been lucky to get this far and i don't like cheats !