Too old to learn, Too young to learn ?

desertrat

Friend of mine, also a bit older loves shooter games. Not doing well on it, but really enjoys it. And surely it taxes the brain to the limit no matter if you are 14 or 100.

I got told that some older people love to play online "World of Tanks"...This came in my mind when I saw your avatar. It is a bit slower, but not easy, I got told.

(Never tried it).

Friend of mine, also a bit older loves shooter games. Not doing well on it, but really enjoys it. And surely it taxes the brain to the limit no matter if you are 14 or 100.

I got told that some older people love to play online "World of Tanks"...This came in my mind when I saw your avatar. It is a bit slower, but not easy, I got told.

(Never tried it).

Not decrying all games, I do realise that some require strategy tactics and quick thinking.I for one am challenged by Plants v Zombies, while being a competent programmer in Fotran (ancient) VB and Python.

The concept of code.org is to encourage people to create programs, initially games, but hopefully to interest them sufficiently to study

computer science and fill the burgeoning demand, rather than become Hewers of Wood and Drawers of Water.

Incidentally only a small percentage of schools in US have classes related to computing while China claims 100 percent.

I've never played "Games of Tanks", having been in the 7th Armoured Division in real life, (Centurions and Conquereors)

• Like 1

you guys said something very interesting I want to bounce on for a sec :

the huge brain resources necessary to play games have been proven to lower Alzheimer's symptoms, and generally speaking keep brains active and healthy.

Also true for internet use (especially social media).

I dunno about effects of coding on brain, but since you learn better from a community (forum or else), it can only be good to keep brains sharp.

Kuddos on your efforts, Desertrat, and greetings to your learning companion :)

(Never tried it).

Not decrying all games, I do realise that some require strategy tactics and quick thinking.I for one am challenged by Plants v Zombies, while being a competent programmer in Fotran (ancient) VB and Python.

The concept of code.org is to encourage people to create programs, initially games, but hopefully to interest them sufficiently to study

computer science and fill the burgeoning demand, rather than become Hewers of Wood and Drawers of Water.

Incidentally only a small percentage of schools in US have classes related to computing while China claims 100 percent.

I've never played "Games of Tanks", having been in the 7th Armoured Division in real life, (Centurions and Conquereors)

I think games which you like to play, are one of the best brain exercise.....Specially because your really do it. If there is some super perfect, but boring brain exercise program, you won't do it 1 hour every day with full focus on it. But even some silly shooter needs a lot coordination and quick planning relative complex reactions. The only down side is that most games seems to be designed for childish idiots and not interesting for someone with half a brain.

I really loved Silent Hunter 3 (now very old, submarine simulation)....

From the "World of Tanks", as I told I never tried it myself, but I read that many people love it as it is so close to reality, and you play against other people. I always want to try it, but I have a lot work to do and no time at the moment......

There are also a few flight simulators which should be close to the real thing.

I think to create/program something is a complete different thing than a fast game. General thinking ability doesn't go down much which age. But if thrown into an unknown situation: the time to understand what is going on and plan a useful reaction to it gets slower and slower. That can be supposed trained.

Also think, if you have friends like that:

Some retire with 60, get lazy, don't think or do anything. You meet them again with 65 and their brain is flexible like concrete.

Others who keep working or have very challenging hobbies are almost unchanged when they are 90.

Not everyone is the same and there is a lot genetic as well, but the general idea is that the brain must be trained like a muscle....

• Like 1

(Never tried it).

I think games which you like to play, are one of the best brain exercise.....Specially because your really do it. If there is some super perfect, but boring brain exercise program, you won't do it 1 hour every day with full focus on it. But even some silly shooter needs a lot coordination and quick planning relative complex reactions. The only down side is that most games seems to be designed for childish idiots and not interesting for someone with half a brain.

I really loved Silent Hunter 3 (now very old, submarine simulation)....

From the "World of Tanks", as I told I never tried it myself, but I read that many people love it as it is so close to reality, and you play against other people. I always want to try it, but I have a lot work to do and no time at the moment......

There are also a few flight simulators which should be close to the real thing.

I think to create/program something is a complete different thing than a fast game. General thinking ability doesn't go down much which age. But if thrown into an unknown situation: the time to understand what is going on and plan a useful reaction to it gets slower and slower. That can be supposed trained.

Also think, if you have friends like that:

Some retire with 60, get lazy, don't think or do anything. You meet them again with 65 and their brain is flexible like concrete.

Others who keep working or have very challenging hobbies are almost unchanged when they are 90.

Not everyone is the same and there is a lot genetic as well, but the general idea is that the brain must be trained like a muscle....

That would be a very little muscle in the Thai education system , maybe the size of a pea.

I agree wholeheartedly....

One of my biggest bugbears with schools is that they do not teach coding....

Yes IT, but what a load of <deleted> that is, even IT teachers say so

I've taught IT in Thai schools and yes the Ministry curriculum is ridiculous, obviously written by bureaucrats never set foot in a classroom.

Some schools give you some leeway, but that's rare.

They want you to teach coding, but to students that don't know how to work from the command line or set up a coding environment.Don't know what a PATH statement means in a Windows environment, how to write a batch file, what is the Registry?

And at my schools they SKIPPED the years in which IT was even offered, with students coming and going basically you started every year from scratch, and with 40 kids in the class, 50-min sessions 2-3 times a week, pretty challenging to set up differentiation strategies for the various skills levels. Since the kids haven't been taught to work in independent peer-led groups, end up being forced to work to the lowest common denominator.

Edited by wym

Unlike the general belief that the brain capacity and flexibility degenrate with age. According to recent studies, the brain power does not decrease with age. Although it might be common sense, however, the brain is a very complex organ is capable of amazing things that goes beyond our apprehension.

Sure, those brainy games does help in keeping your brain sharp. Also don't forget excersise, most old people get lazy and think that they shouldn't be physicaly move too much, but I believe that physical excersise helps your mental being as well.

And the most important factor is: Believe. If you believe that being old means getting alzheimer, deaf, hunched and tired, then you will be. In contrast, believing that you are alwats fit, healthy, strong, sharp minded and happy, will keep you healthy in all areas, no matter your age.

• Like 2

if you want to play a game that challenges your thinking aswell as being an interesting playable game try portal and portal 2.

you could get it cheap as chips off ebay or any other sources that suit you. It's a very cleverly designed game that will rack your brain a little and also help build micro co-ordination skills.

Other than that Sudoku is said to help keep the mind ticking.

It's stretching your mind beyond your comfort zone that expands the neural connections, physically grows new brain tissue and carves new pathways, musical instruments, learning to fly a plane, a martial art etc.

Doing what you've always done and feel comfortable with is a waste of life might as well curl up and die sooner.

• Like 1