Round-trip bus trip from Krabi to Chiang Mai next week...

buddhaland

I am going to Chiang Mai from my home in Ao Nang - part personal, part business. I plan on leaving next Tuesday or Wednesday and am planning to stay a week or so.I have the time, so I want to combine the cheapest travel option with a chance to do some sightseeing through parts of the company i may never pass through again (I'm ahuge fan of trains, but understand that the trains are overnighters, so not much sightseeing.) I have been trying researching on-line reservation options - but the language seems to suggest that the cheapest and most straight-forward way to book is right at the bus station. So a few questions:

1. Will I need need cash, or do the bus stations take plastic?Do I need to book as far ahead as possible, or can I cut it close or just show up and pay on the day?

2. How safe are the buses? I have seen several times the suggestion that the preferred outfit has something to do with the government.

3. Do the buses make rest stops for eating and using the loo, etc.?

4. Is there more than one station in Chiang Mai? I am hooking up with a friend there who is staying near the night market, so one close to there would be cool.

5. Have any of you made this trip? I welcome any and all feedback!

6. Lastly, if things go well this trip, I may move to Chiang Mai soon. I have heard that I can take my motorbike with me - but have heard differing versions, some downright contradictory. I heard also that I can send it up via Thai Post, but lots of muddy info on that option as well. Any solid info on this?

Many thanx....

I just booked a flight to Chiang Mai a few days ago from Krabi.

2200bht one way.

I guarantee you'll almost spend the same on buses except the journey time will be 1+ days instead of 1.5hrs.

Check Air Asia for cheap flights.

I am aware of the fairly new flight direct from Krabi to Chiang Mai. I think there was a promotion at first. My circumstances are very, very short notice - I need to be in Chiang Mai on Monday or Tuesday, 3/11 or 3/12. The best round trip rate I could get this morning on the AirAsia site, expressed in dollars, was about $244.00. On Bankok Airlines it was about forty bucks more.

I can take the bus in the same date range for about $108.00. And as I think I pointed out, this is a great opportunity to do some sightseeing and photography, as well as catching up on some reading.

One other option - fly up on Air Asia and take the bus back.

But thanks for your advice. I just wish taking the bus/train option from Krabi through Surat Thani weren't so complicated - I really love taking trains and ride them everywhere in the world whenever I have a chance.

buses are suicide machines here in Thailand. Air Asia now has a special going on...but your dates are probably too soon to get the deal. You might get a cheap flight out of Bkk. 15 March still good for 990 baht. You can check the other airlines for a ride to Bangkok.

Post office or Train Ships your bike. I would go with the post office.

you will regret the bus believe me they say its 11-12 hrs to bangkok ,yeah iv heard it taking 16hrs if you haven't got a direct connection at bangkok you could be hanging around their a while then another 12-16 hour journey to chiang mai, you are on highways most of the time nothing to take pictures of.stuck on a bus in 38 degree heat is no fun,but up to you as they say ,i would pay the money and take the plane safe and super quick.

i don't think krabi bus station accepts card payment ,if you want to pay by card try one off the travel agents in ao nang.

don't forget with all the stops the buses make you are gonna be buying food and drinks which will make the bus more than the 108 dollars you quote.

p.s we are in thailand be easier to quote in thai bht.

p.p.s the buses can get full very quick especially at weekends ,so you want to be booking it tomorrow.

Edited by taninthai

I would do Krabi to CM - Air Asia if it's cheap

CM to BKK - Goverment bus single seat - 800bht (very comfortable) The company is 999 at Arcade Bus Station.

BKK to Surat Thani - Overnight Sleeper

Surat Thani to home - Quick minibus.

OMG ! By bus to Chiang Mai ? It's going to be a nightmare trip all in all about 25-30 hours in a bus seat. What sceneries you expect to see ? The buses stop at littered parking lots, toilet is on board for those in urgent need.

You can bring your motorbike to the Krabi town post office and they will send it to Chiang Mai. The costs are about 3'000 to 4'000 Baht.

• Like 1

OMG ! These are going to be 25-30 hours in a bus seat. What a torture ! What scenery you wanna see ? The buses usually stop a littered parking lots and there are toilets on board for those in urgent needs.

You can bring your motorbike to the post office in Krabi town. The fee to send it to Chiang Mai is approx. 3'500 Baht.