education quality or complete laziness?

yanyk

There's a school next to the Wittayu Rd. entrance to Lumpini Park that has a dozen identical huge posters on its wall, in full view of the road, reading "XXX School has a quality school". On 2 of those 12 posters, someone has covered up the word "has" with "is" in a very obvious way. On the other 10 posters, they couldn't be bothered. (Of course, there's no way they could reprint the posters, right? Too expensive.) A fine example of A] poor education quality and B] complete laziness. The school in question shall remain nameless.

Edited by Thainess

There's a school next to the Wittayu Rd. entrance to Lumpini Park that has a dozen identical huge posters on its wall, in full view of the road, reading "XXX School has a quality school". On 2 of those 12 posters, someone has covered up the word "has" with "is" in a very obvious way. On the other 10 posters, they couldn't be bothered. (Of course, there's no way they could reprint the posters, right? Too expensive.) A fine example of A) poor education quality and cool.png complete laziness. The school in question shall remain nameless.

In another thread someone is looking for teachers of English. One of the first respondents asked about the "selery" or some such creative spelling.

"A fine example of A) poor education quality and cool.png complete laziness"

There's a lot of that going around and it's not just in Thailand.

whereupon-school-marquee-spelling-error-spelling-fox-news-faux-noise-spelling-mi4e53bf35441d2.png

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Transliteration is a difficult skill to master.

I am not judgmental about the various attempts to convert Thai to English but rather admire the effort and willingness to display the result which even if amusing can usually be understood!

Thai is a very difficult language to master. I can speak some Thai but my reading/writing skills are virtually non-existent.

There is a teaching forum somewhere here. I suggest people pay a visit. Read the wonderful , grammatically correct and well spelt comments ! Marvel at the skill demonstrated in sentence construction and the ability to use paragraphs.

Then ask -----would I want my child to be taught by these people ?

No I do not criticise the Thais poor English skills because they have been taught by "native English" speakers !

• Like 1

There's a school next to the Wittayu Rd. entrance to Lumpini Park that has a dozen identical huge posters on its wall, in full view of the road, reading "XXX School has a quality school". On 2 of those 12 posters, someone has covered up the word "has" with "is" in a very obvious way. On the other 10 posters, they couldn't be bothered. (Of course, there's no way they could reprint the posters, right? Too expensive.) A fine example of A] poor education quality and B] complete laziness. The school in question shall remain nameless.

They didn't keep the posters because changing them would be too expensive, but because no one wants to tell the person who made them (who probably has a master's degree in English and is incapable of holding a basic conversation) that they were wrong.

I see a lot of people bash farang English teachers, maybe rightly so in many cases, but most Thai teachers can not even speak the language they are teaching at even a basic level. I have in-laws that are English teachers in a rural area, they are too embarrassed to speak to me because they can only speak at a very basic level and can not understand what I say to them. They can understand me if I speak Thai, but it is such an embarrassment for English teachers to speak Thai to a foreigner that they avoid me every chance they can.

As for how the Thai with a masters degree had trouble coming up with the word for '17' in English, their classes seem to involve the Thai teacher lecturing entirely in Thai and barely any English spoken at all. So older people who never had a foreign teacher never really learned to listen and speak English and are really bad at it, despite having an advanced degree

No I do not criticise the Thais poor English skills because they have been taught by "native English" speakers !

No, most of them haven't been. They are taught by Thais who can not speak at even a basic level. Even at schools that have foreign teachers, and most don't, they are normally with the foreigner one hour a week and the rest of the time with a Thai teacher who is unable to speak the language they are teaching. Most Thai English teachers wouldn't even have had that because they graduated before large numbers of foreigners began coming here.