Blood TESTs

factseeker

Hi,

We are trying to find somwhere to get a series of blood tests done.

Not for anything dodgy - a Nutritionist needs the results.

In particular a set for Thyroid activity.

We were recommended to go to Soan Dok Hospital ( Maharaj ?? ) in Suthep Rd and did so today to organise.

We spent some three hours being moved about from one department to another.

Everyone seemed really willing to help but we still ended up getting absolutely nowhere.

Apart from now really knowing our way around the whole complex that is. ;o)

As an alternative Chiang Mai RAM Hospital seems to be poorly recommended.

Has anyone anywhere else to suggest? - I would be grateful.

Bets Rgds.

FS.

Interesting comment you made about Ram. I've lived here thirteen years and found Ram to be reliable. Their lab is state of the art and you will get your blood test results back in an hour. If you know the exact blood tests you want done you won't need to see a doctor, just register then go straight to the lab for your blood draws.

I also recon RAM wants you are registered customer nothing easier but to go straight to the lab u it tell them what you wish to get tested for and everything done in easy time. One thing about RAM I dislike are the unusual high prices for some meds compared to BNH in BKK which I use often RAM tops BNH sometimes by up to 40% for the same meds.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You should try Lanna Lab just off Mahidol Road. Very friendly staff and alot of the hospitals use them.

You will not have to queue at all.

They can do a whole range of tests, I have a full list and can PM you if interested or you could call and check on 053 275131.

If you are heading west towards Airport Plaza you will see the sign (in Thai) on the left hand side very close to the entrance to Chiang Mai Land on the right side of the road.

Hopefully the picture shows the turn off.

post-103443-0-94612500-1394117302_thumb.

At Soan Dok Hospital take the road that goes along the east side of the building.

Go down it a ways and you will see a lab on the right hand side of the road. I don't know about the Ram other than I went in there once with a couple of friends to get are blood checked for the I believe it is INR? level to determine the amount of Wharphin? a super blood thinner to take. We had to go to reception first and make an appointment and then we sat a short period of time. Cost was close to 300 baht. I had been told that last year the same test at Soan Dok Hospital was about 90 baht.

What I would like to know is where did you find a Nutritionist in Chiang Mai?

Also can they speak English?

Edited by northernjohn

If you know exactly what blood tests you need, I have found CM Ram to be quick, reliable and there is no need to see a doctor, if you insist politely that you don't need assistance in interpreting the results. While they may be more expensive, the cost for most blood tests is fairly cheap, like in Northern John's case -- 300 baht for a test at CM Ram where he was probably in-and-out fairly quickly or 90 baht for the mind-numbing experience of dealing with Suan Dok -- which can be a 1/2 day affair. Up to you.

(Admittedly, the test Northern John was getting is something he'd have periodically, so it may be worth it to figure out the drill at Suan Dok to save 240 baht every few weeks, but if it were a one-off test, personally I'd pay the extra 210 baht for the convenience of Ram.)

Edited by NancyL

At Soan Dok Hospital take the road that goes along the east side of the building.

Go down it a ways and you will see a lab on the right hand side of the road. I don't know about the Ram other than I went in there once with a couple of friends to get are blood checked for the I believe it is INR? level to determine the amount of Wharphin? a super blood thinner to take. We had to go to reception first and make an appointment and then we sat a short period of time. Cost was close to 300 baht. I had been told that last year the same test at Soan Dok Hospital was about 90 baht.

Hi,

All manner of good info here for me - great.

The Nutrionist is in the UK - recommended by Health Service etc - fully qualified with Cambridge degree - so hopefully a good 'un.

Wanted to get tests done while here as not UK based and having a job to get done over there.

Rgds.

FS

Edited by factseeker

McCormick are always helpful, speak English and quite inexpensive.

Hi Rawhod,

Can I ask whereabouts they are please? If a road or address even better - thnxs.

Rgds to all for great response - think we will get this done now.

FS

Interesting comment you made about Ram. I've lived here thirteen years and found Ram to be reliable. Their lab is state of the art and you will get your blood test results back in an hour. If you know the exact blood tests you want done you won't need to see a doctor, just register then go straight to the lab for your blood draws.

Hi Sojourner,

Must be fair to RAM - not personal opinion at all - just one or two guys complaining ref costs.

I guess living in Thailand for a while one 'acclimatises' to lower costs - try back in Europe and see what things cost.

My thnxs for you comment.

Best Rgds.

FS;

If you know exactly what blood tests you need, I have found CM Ram to be quick, reliable and there is no need to see a doctor, if you insist politely that you don't need assistance in interpreting the results. While they may be more expensive, the cost for most blood tests is fairly cheap, like in Northern John's case -- 300 baht for a test at CM Ram where he was probably in-and-out fairly quickly or 90 baht for the mind-numbing experience of dealing with Suan Dok -- which can be a 1/2 day affair. Up to you.

(Admittedly, the test Northern John was getting is something he'd have periodically, so it may be worth it to figure out the drill at Suan Dok to save 240 baht every few weeks, but if it were a one-off test, personally I'd pay the extra 210 baht for the convenience of Ram.)

Hi Nancy,

You were the lady that gave us good advice when we were sorting our Retirment Visa stuff long time ago.

30-90-Year at CM Immi.

All went well - very happy here.

Rgds.

FS

You should try Lanna Lab just off Mahidol Road. Very friendly staff and alot of the hospitals use them.

You will not have to queue at all.

They can do a whole range of tests, I have a full list and can PM you if interested or you could call and check on 053 275131.

If you are heading west towards Airport Plaza you will see the sign (in Thai) on the left hand side very close to the entrance to Chiang Mai Land on the right side of the road.

Hopefully the picture shows the turn off.

attachicon.giflannalab.jpg

Hi,

Veni Vidi Vici - saw your reply and visited by 11:30am today - out at Noon - Thyroid stuff duly tested.

Nice people - very helpful etc. Not expensive at 700 Baht - as a bit 'special' test.

Only area not covered was for Vitamin content of blood - they do not cover - they say nowhere else in CM - it would have to go to Bangkok - take 3 weeks and cost 9000 Baht.

Same cost as UK - so will wait it out.

But good news all in all.

My thnxs. FS.

Edited by factseeker

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hi,

All manner of good info here for me - great.

The Nutrionist is in the UK - recommended by Health Service etc - fully qualified with Cambridge degree - so hopefully a good 'un.

Wanted to get tests done while here as not UK based and having a job to get done over there.

Rgds.

FS

Interesting !

No mention of Cambridge on this list from the Association for Nutrition (UK) !

Have a look !

http://www.associationfornutrition.org/Portals/0/Current%20Undergraduate%20Courses%20Accredited%20February%202014.pdf

McCormick are always helpful, speak English and quite inexpensive.

Hi Rawhod,

Can I ask whereabouts they are please? If a road or address even better - thnxs.

Rgds to all for great response - think we will get this done now.

FS

http://www.mccormick.in.th/mc/eng/index.html

This is the link to their English web site

McCormick Hospital

133 Kaewnawarat Rd

Tambol Watket

Amphur Muang

Near Dara Academy..

Chiangmai RIA lab is another option, Lanna lab is reliable in certain lab tests, many of their labs though are old version and a bit off figure for the 2014 medical technologies!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The lab at Suan Dok can be accessed with out the circus on the thirteenth floor. It is in a separate building.