Corruption is 'part of Thai mindset'

webfact

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a load of rubbish. Corruption is the mindset of business, not this or that nationality. Some nations have managed to pretty much root it out of the business mindset, but i assume that is through decent political governence and exemplary leadership. In general, the more business there is the more corruption there is. The big difference between say a thailand and an america is that here it is more obvious, but in america corruption is still rife in the business and political world.

An ABAC poll found that "Sixty-five percent of respondents surveyed this week said government corruption was acceptable if they also benefited from such activity."

Like i said, it's just more obvious here, more truthful even!

In britain people will vote for the party who promises the most ecomic benefits to the people. If they're run by war criminals or people with blood on their hands that won't matter so long as more money will find the people's pockets.

It's normal human behaviour, to want a better life. Most societies don't educate their populations properly, so most people will accept the benefits even if it's at the expense of someone else. Just turn a bliind eye and nothing can be seen.

<deleted>? "Corruption Index" sick.gif Dumb concept and any algorithm would have almost infinite and subjective variables. This guy offered nothing useful. My experience with countries is that the higher the poverty, the more the corruption. Certainly the Thai bashers in their aggressive ignorance and characteristic propensity for citing whimsical assumptions and expounding on them as though they were fact are having a field day with this one.

Wrong "techboy", its the a Thai apologists that will have a field day with this one, and it was only yesterday when you tried to defend thais for paying a bribe to get a bus licence. You said its a universal thing, which is total nonsense. Now if you want to defend the bus driver that killed 15 last week there is a thread on that, good luck

Student cheating brings the whole country down ... why do Thai students perform so poorly on international standard tests, and I do not mean just English language tests .... in maths and the natural sciences, they perform very poorly compared to students in most other ASEAN countries, and most other Asian countries.

If Thailand does not make real efforts of reduce the level of corruption, then international businesses will move to countries where there is less corruption and they can make bigger profits, retirees will choose to retire to countries where life is more agreeable and bureaucracies are more accommodating, and young educated Thais will increasingly seek to migrate to "better" countries which offer more equality and opportunity (as they are increasingly doing now).

Time for Thailand's law makers and leaders to wake up ... this is the 21st Century ... and unless Thailand moves with the times, Thailand will be left behind .... the poorest country in ASEAN??

Thai students perform badly because their teachers perform badly. Very little teacher training. They're trying to change that in more recent years, but with the political mess no stability can be found in the education ministry and other decison-making bodies.

International businesses go where they can get away with things more easily. Business and corruption feed off each other. There are loads of international businesses here in thailand and have been for many years. So are they here because corruption is easier…?? If corruption becomes harder, then perhaps those businesses might leave, but not before that.

Retirees have chosen, and have been allowed, to be here in thailand precisely because the way of life is agreeable. As for accommodating bureaucracies, they are amazing in thailand! Driver's licences, visa renewals, getting a yellow book, getting legally wed, opening up bank accounts, all manner of official things are so so easy compared to back in the UK. All done with efficiency, often smiles, and NO tea money. It's an amazing experience and trying to get anything done in the UK puts that country to absolute shame compared to thailand.

Young educated anybodies migrate to other countries. That thais are increasingly doing this shows that thailand is advancing economically and providing more movement and opportunities to its citizens. Good news, they can migrate, learn different ways, then come back to thailand and bring their ideas back here to add to society. Been happening for a long time now. Since at least king rama 5's reign.

Poorer than thailand? Laos, Cambodia, Philippines, Burma, Indonesia, Vietnam.

Thailand is moving with the times, and unfortunately getting more and more expensive, and less tolerant, as the great western ways and economic approaches hit this nation.

• Like 1

What a load of rubbish. Corruption is the mindset of business, not this or that nationality.

No, corruption is the mindset of a culture - and it's an accepted and integral part of all Asian cultures, not just Thai culture.

What's viewed as 'corruption' in the West has been the operative mode of governance and business in Asia for the last several millennia. It is an ingrained part of Asian culture, and is never going to change.

Staggering! Unreal! Amazing!

In america they have the 'revolving doors of office'. In easy terms, that means one day you're a business CEO, the next you hold political office, and then the next you're back to being a businessman again. And i just wonder what they do while they're in political office… why, nothing by way of helping big business, surely not???!!!

In the UK they have the Private Eye magazine which is mostly dedicated to uncovering the rampant corruption at local and national political levels, and their wonderfully symbiotic relationship with business.

You think corruption is an asian thing??? Really man, time to properly wake yourself up.

And you've been around for several millenia? What is your secret for immortality? You'll make a fortune if you can sell it, and there'll be no need for any corruption on your part...

Thailand is ranked 102 out of 177 countries listed in the corruption perception index.

Thats only because there's corruption in reporting the level of corruption. Everyone's in denial. Thailand must be more corrupt than those figures illustrate.

Well, that's simply because there are countries which are even worse, even if it's hard to imagine, yes, they are ...

The problem in Thailand starts from the TERRIBLE EDUCATION, young Thais are tough bad values and brainwashed.

They are taught to obey and lean their heads, not to be creative.

With these premises, what results do we expect to collect in the society ?

Corruption is part of Thai mindset but not of Thai genetics, I don't believe to this b...t.

There are countries which have done tremendous advances in the fight against corruption, just look for example how were South Korea, Czech Republic and Georgia 10-15 years ago.

Thailand has just improved slightly with Thaksin government (wait a min...it's Trasparency International data not mine...) but at the end it's pretty much always the same here.

The bad part is nobody is doing anything to change that. Military governments have been the most corrupted in Thai history, so the excuse of the need of an "iron hand" is bull...t. South Korea was incredibly corrupt under its military governments.

The elite in Thailand has no intentions to change this "mindset", they rely on corruption to keep their power, while Thaksin family has used the same dirty tactics to build his own power base.

As for students 'cheating' on assignments, hardly corruption is it! In fact if teachers continue to teach in a top-down structure while giving out utterly boring assignments which are too difficult, then copying will naturally continue. Don't blame the student, blame the appalling system and education.

Would you happily go to a doctor or surgeon knowing that they had cheated on their exams?

Corruption is an element of all societies and can only be prevented from becoming endemic by the vigilance of the honest. Unfortunately, in some cultures it is so well established that the "honest" are out-numbered, ridiculed or shouted down.

What if they didn't cheat on their exams, but were taught according to a faulty syllabus?? I therefore do my utmost to not go to doctors, least of all surgeons.

Solutions to corruption and cheating, if desired, will only be found by addressing root causes. If you go to a school and you are given homework that is utterly boring and way too difficult, then how on earth will you be able to do it unless you can copy from someone who can at least manage an answer?

If you want to avoid corruption, then regulate the companies, not the citizens. Educate children properly at school, but that will need educated and inspiring teachers. But they get no training of any note. They themselves are overworked and numbed by the top-down system.

Thais live in a constant state of denial about many things. Denial feeds hypocrisy and corruption. Corruption eliminates character. Thais need to reckon their denial and hypocrisy and their negative impact on Thailand for the future. No reform or election will ever reverse Thailand's course until they reconcile first the true basis of their fragmentation, frustration and conflict.

Excellent insight. If i may add it seems many lack the simple awareness of any dysfunction or issues. Lack of analytical, critical, introspective thinking ability does not help either in a society based on image and little substance.

What a load of rubbish. Corruption is the mindset of business, not this or that nationality.

No, corruption is the mindset of a culture - and it's an accepted and integral part of all Asian cultures, not just Thai culture.

What's viewed as 'corruption' in the West has been the operative mode of governance and business in Asia for the last several millennia. It is an ingrained part of Asian culture, and is never going to change.

Although this topic is about thai corruption, some western governments have evolved to become very corrupt also, the difference being the general population of some western countries does not share in aid or abet the governments corruption.

Edited by atyclb

There is so much negative trash thrown at thais and their country by people who have come to live here. I'm always surprised by this absolute negativity, it's much worse than an act of local corruption which makes both parties deal with life a bit more smoothly.

I'm not for corruption, but there are much worse things to be dealing with, and in any case, treating the symptoms will never bring solutions.

I have noticed lots and lots of measures being brought into place, both at a public level and a government level in more recent years to stop corruption from happening… real, tantible, and proactive measures.

Apart from twice while driving, i have never been asked for any tea money by any thai official or thai businessman in over 20 years. And i've had my fair share of exposure to government departments and officials. Not only that, but the default expeirence i receive is one of efficiency and smiles and helping attitudes. It's just light years ahead of my home country the UK.

The education system may be a constant underperformer, but they're even trying to improve that. But in any case typical thais i meet at the level of society are not stupid, not corrupt, not bad people, not cheats, they are just getting on with their lives, and have many intersting viewpoints about thailand and other nations. They are also honest in saying traditionally they have not known much about the outside world. But when you have histoirically lived in such an easygoing stress-free nation where was the motivation to go beyond this?? Things are changing now, and both teachers and students are doing their best to open up and learn more beyond thailand and thai culture itself.

There is so much happening by way of change in thailand, with positive efforts to be seen everywhere.

A lot of the farangs who come here to post up their incredibly condescending and frankly totally disrespectful ideas appear to be engulfed in negative energy in their lives. Thais, corrupt or not, on the whole do their best to live their lives with a more positive energy inside them. And they're definitely trying to change things around, not least because the AEC is now upon them.

As for students 'cheating' on assignments, hardly corruption is it! In fact if teachers continue to teach in a top-down structure while giving out utterly boring assignments which are too difficult, then copying will naturally continue. Don't blame the student, blame the appalling system and education.

Would you happily go to a doctor or surgeon knowing that they had cheated on their exams?

Corruption is an element of all societies and can only be prevented from becoming endemic by the vigilance of the honest. Unfortunately, in some cultures it is so well established that the "honest" are out-numbered, ridiculed or shouted down.

What if they didn't cheat on their exams, but were taught according to a faulty syllabus?? I therefore do my utmost to not go to doctors, least of all surgeons.

Solutions to corruption and cheating, if desired, will only be found by addressing root causes. If you go to a school and you are given homework that is utterly boring and way too difficult, then how on earth will you be able to do it unless you can copy from someone who can at least manage an answer?

If you want to avoid corruption, then regulate the companies, not the citizens. Educate children properly at school, but that will need educated and inspiring teachers. But they get no training of any note. They themselves are overworked and numbed by the top-down system.

Moral fortitude, personal discipline, self-esteem, pride, simple determination? These things seem to work for most people.

Anyway, good luck staying away from the doctors as you go blindly through life.

Student cheating brings the whole country down ... why do Thai students perform so poorly on international standard tests, and I do not mean just English language tests .... in maths and the natural sciences, they perform very poorly compared to students in most other ASEAN countries, and most other Asian countries.

If Thailand does not make real efforts of reduce the level of corruption, then international businesses will move to countries where there is less corruption and they can make bigger profits, retirees will choose to retire to countries where life is more agreeable and bureaucracies are more accommodating, and young educated Thais will increasingly seek to migrate to "better" countries which offer more equality and opportunity (as they are increasingly doing now).

Time for Thailand's law makers and leaders to wake up ... this is the 21st Century ... and unless Thailand moves with the times, Thailand will be left behind .... the poorest country in ASEAN??

Thai students perform badly because their teachers perform badly. Very little teacher training. They're trying to change that in more recent years, but with the political mess no stability can be found in the education ministry and other decison-making bodies.

International businesses go where they can get away with things more easily. Business and corruption feed off each other. There are loads of international businesses here in thailand and have been for many years. So are they here because corruption is easier…?? If corruption becomes harder, then perhaps those businesses might leave, but not before that.

Retirees have chosen, and have been allowed, to be here in thailand precisely because the way of life is agreeable. As for accommodating bureaucracies, they are amazing in thailand! Driver's licences, visa renewals, getting a yellow book, getting legally wed, opening up bank accounts, all manner of official things are so so easy compared to back in the UK. All done with efficiency, often smiles, and NO tea money. It's an amazing experience and trying to get anything done in the UK puts that country to absolute shame compared to thailand.

Young educated anybodies migrate to other countries. That thais are increasingly doing this shows that thailand is advancing economically and providing more movement and opportunities to its citizens. Good news, they can migrate, learn different ways, then come back to thailand and bring their ideas back here to add to society. Been happening for a long time now. Since at least king rama 5's reign.

Poorer than thailand? Laos, Cambodia, Philippines, Burma, Indonesia, Vietnam.

Thailand is moving with the times, and unfortunately getting more and more expensive, and less tolerant, as the great western ways and economic approaches hit this nation.

Oh, by the way Femi Fan. Is it not customary and polite to capitalize written names and nationalities like Thailand and Thais, or do you secretly have some prejudices against Thais, Thailand and spell-checkers?

Did you cheat on your English exams?!!

What is a "CORRUPTED" country?

A country where you do not need to pass few $$$ to any government official, police officer, customs inspector,etc, etc, etc, and everybody pay taxes, but politicians, banks owners, insurance companies, monopolies, big corporations, military, and few individuals in power, do not pay taxes and make BILLIONS in corrupted business and schemes....A corrupted country where you cannot protest, say, or manifest your ideas without facing problems in your life or discrimination, and you need to WASH YOUR BRAIN to live and work under the rules of the people in power. A RICH country where MISERY cannot be vanish, and ideas are imposed by VIOLENCE AND EXTORTION..

OR

A country where you have to pay small bribes to low pay employees, you pay taxes knowing that few individual in power do not pay taxes and makes MILLIONS with corruption.....A "POOR" country where most people live in POVERTY, but having the choice to live and work with DIGNITY to avoid MISERY.

Where is GREED and AMBITIONS for power, will be CORRUPTION. Unfortunately is the HUMAN NATURE. Our WORLD is not perfect and never will, just because WE are not perfect.

Our world is corrupted, in every way, and more and more every day.....

I do not have the solution for that...

Do you?

The only solution I can see is a quote from Ghandi...... ""we" must be the change that "we" seek in the world"

That being said though, what you wrote is correct. If we really want to have a better world, then hopefully we are smart enough to realize that everything starts from within ourselves. I often think that the whole puprose of being born in this world of madness is to finally come to the realization that maybe it won't improve, at least not for awhile, but that most of us can improve ourselves, if we choose to, and bring back some sanity here.

Edited by dude123

if you are not a top level academic country, if you do not invent new stuff and only good in copying others

than the keys to success here are corruption & politics for the rich, and for the poor : policeman, as a job to leave way above your means

Whether people like it or not corruption can be highly efficient in getting stuff done. If it was somehow managed to be removed overnight there is a risk Thailand would fall back into an inertia state of no decisions being made and nothing getting done quickly, many businesses fear this much more than corruption itself and it can potentially be as equally damaging to the country.

I expect there will be a half hearted solution here, we are still okay with corruption but not all corruption, it was the same with the amnesty bill, yes we want amnesty but not for our enemies.

Corruption exists in every country, to varying degrees ... and it certainly exists in present day Australia and the US of A, for example.

Student cheating also exists in every country ... when I was teaching at university in Australia (up until 2013) any student caught cheating or plagarising material automatially failed.

However, the degree of cheating and corruption in Thailand is certainly a matter of concern.

Poorest? I saw MISERY in India...and India is considered a developing country now...and in Thailand there is not more CORRUPTION than in Indonesia....Some world's reports are putting Indonesia in the way to be a new emergent economy... It is a lot of corruption and misery in Brazil, Russia, India and China....The "BRIC" countries......The world's 4 emergent economies...

Oh, by the way Femi Fan. Is it not customary and polite to capitalize written names and nationalities like Thailand and Thais, or do you secretly have some prejudices against Thais, Thailand and spell-checkers?

Did you cheat on your English exams?!!

If things like that bother you, then you're giving your age away mate!

I think, in general, thais and thailand are fantastic. They have their faults like all people and nations do, but it amazes me how many people come here talking about them as if they were the devil, and the ONLY devil. I can't imagine thai people living in other countries and so dissing their hosts. I wonder who is more civlised??!

Why are people so against corruption?? They cannot seriously say it affects them much at all in their own personal lives, because it barely exists at the citizen level and their everyday lives.

As for political corruption, where they steal from the taxpayers, then that is a disgrace and a crime, and should be fought everywhere. How we do that is not the easy answer. That is where thailand could do more. But this article was suggesting thai people are corrupt by nature, and that is agreed by many posters here. It simply is not the case. I mean, they don't even have their own word for it!! They have to use the english word. I wonder what that says about the english!!

As for students 'cheating' on assignments, hardly corruption is it! In fact if teachers continue to teach in a top-down structure while giving out utterly boring assignments which are too difficult, then copying will naturally continue.

While cheating may not be the dictionary definition of corruption, it certainly creates fertile soil from which corruption springs forth like vines of kudzu.

I have the advantage that I teach math and science, and can alter the questions on homework assignments and exams on a per-student basis. For worksheets and homework, every handout has different questions. It can be interesting watching the students' faces as they begin to realize that their assignments have been personalized and copying off their friend's homework will get them nothing but a slew of wrong answers. Yes it's extra work for me when it comes time to grading the assignments, but I feel it's worth it. I've done this two terms in a row now, and I feel like the students are actually learning the material.

As for students 'cheating' on assignments, hardly corruption is it! In fact if teachers continue to teach in a top-down structure while giving out utterly boring assignments which are too difficult, then copying will naturally continue.

While cheating may not be the dictionary definition of corruption, it certainly creates fertile soil from which corruption springs forth like vines of kudzu.

I have the advantage that I teach math and science, and can alter the questions on homework assignments and exams on a per-student basis. For worksheets and homework, every handout has different questions. It can be interesting watching the students' faces as they begin to realize that their assignments have been personalized and copying off their friend's homework will get them nothing but a slew of wrong answers. Yes it's extra work for me when it comes time to grading the assignments, but I feel it's worth it. I've done this two terms in a row now, and I feel like the students are actually learning the material.

Bravo! Finding solutions by tackling the root causes, rather than just blaming. Good stuff!

I bet the students like it too, once they get used to the idea!

It's more like, corruption is the agenda in which Most Thai people are brainwashed into from the day they were born, brainwashed into buying into the concept that FACE comes first before TRUTH...

'brainwashed into from the day they were born, brainwashed into buying into the concept that FACE comes first before TRUTH..."

Are you saying that the CEO's of American and European banks are all Thais?

121016015132-big-bank-ceos-monster.jpg7628281482_22d91b5250.jpg

It's more like, corruption is the agenda in which Most Thai people are brainwashed into from the day they were born, brainwashed into buying into the concept that FACE comes first before TRUTH...

"...the concept that FACE comes first before TRUTH... "

In other words it would be better if Thais told all the farang that they actually are fat, old, ugly & smell bad and not worrying that this will mean farang's from Chiang Rai to Hat Yai will lose face on a major scale.

I wonder who needs to tell the TRUTH and who's going to lose face in this duo.

farang-and-pros.jpg

hear hear... lieland will never change till the face first mindset goes....

my two bobs worth ...

'corruption' is endemic ... corruption covers many things ... no others species does it and its built into the human world order.

there are three organisations who use corruption to maintain their control; corporations, governments and religion. All use spin, outright lies and 'trust' to manipulate the larger herd.

By choice, I went to Uni. Indoctrination is the order. As someone else pointed out (a fellow Aussie), plagiarism / copying / cheating is treated punitively; however, if you want a distinction, the best way to get it is by referencing (and citing) every utterance in written books (age and relevance not important) and journals (more recent, but can be 10 years old).

Your opinion, work and day to day experiences (I designed and built energy efficient houses) count for naught.

So, the corruption there is the dis-allowance of a contrary proven opinion; that only someone 'in control' is allowed to make that decision.

[i'm getting close to the six minutes]

Example: Australia has a Building Code with a minimum (now) 6 Star Energy Rating.

In 2001 I had a booklet published (written evidence) titled 'guide to energy efficient house design'; I heaped shit on the 'energy rating system'. I told anyone who cared to listen and most said (or at least thought) 'what would he know, left school at 14). And to prove 'what comes around, goes around', finally ABC TV 7.30 Report (April 26 2011) they did a story (I will condense it for you) "that some 1.5 million houses built in Australia under the 'energy rating system building code are, in fact. not energy efficient".

Has it changed anything? Nope, because I don't have a Doctorate; my work, empirical data and summations don't count.

And that is a corruption.

If you are still reading: my hypothesis (proven) is that energy companies sell cheap energy to companies that manufacture (high embodied) building materials that cause houses to be hot, which translates into consumers needing more energy to cool or heat their house.

Australia is the highest GHG emitter - per head - in the world; Thailand, with all its industry, is much lower and do Australian companies abuse Thais (aided by Thai corporations run by people who sell their countrymen out), you can bet your left testicle on it. Corruption (of everything) is humanities calling card.

my two bobs worth ...

'corruption' is endemic ... corruption covers many things ... no others species does it and its built into the human world order.

there are three organisations who use corruption to maintain their control; corporations, governments and religion. All use spin, outright lies and 'trust' to manipulate the larger herd.

By choice, I went to Uni. Indoctrination is the order. As someone else pointed out (a fellow Aussie), plagiarism / copying / cheating is treated punitively; however, if you want a distinction, the best way to get it is by referencing (and citing) every utterance in written books (age and relevance not important) and journals (more recent, but can be 10 years old).

Your opinion, work and day to day experiences (I designed and built energy efficient houses) count for naught.

So, the corruption there is the dis-allowance of a contrary proven opinion; that only someone 'in control' is allowed to make that decision.

[i'm getting close to the six minutes]

Example: Australia has a Building Code with a minimum (now) 6 Star Energy Rating.

In 2001 I had a booklet published (written evidence) titled 'guide to energy efficient house design'; I heaped shit on the 'energy rating system'. I told anyone who cared to listen and most said (or at least thought) 'what would he know, left school at 14). And to prove 'what comes around, goes around', finally ABC TV 7.30 Report (April 26 2011) they did a story (I will condense it for you) "that some 1.5 million houses built in Australia under the 'energy rating system building code are, in fact. not energy efficient".

Has it changed anything? Nope, because I don't have a Doctorate; my work, empirical data and summations don't count.

And that is a corruption.

If you are still reading: my hypothesis (proven) is that energy companies sell cheap energy to companies that manufacture (high embodied) building materials that cause houses to be hot, which translates into consumers needing more energy to cool or heat their house.

Australia is the highest GHG emitter - per head - in the world; Thailand, with all its industry, is much lower and do Australian companies abuse Thais (aided by Thai corporations run by people who sell their countrymen out), you can bet your left testicle on it. Corruption (of everything) is humanities calling card.

have to agree in part with the energy rating we got in this country, if you havent placed your house right you live in an oven even on a mid summers day here in melbourne, and an icebox in winter, to me unless you educate home builders and designers and legislate to use passive solar principles nothing great has been achieved.

It is indeed problematic if school children cheat during exams, assignments, etc., sometimes even right in plain view of the teacher, and neither the children nor the teacher see anything particularly wrong with that.

It's not sometimes, it's all the time.

Corruption exists in every country, to varying degrees ... and it certainly exists in present day Australia and the US of A, for example.

Student cheating also exists in every country ... when I was teaching at university in Australia (up until 2013) any student caught cheating or plagarising material automatially failed.

However, the degree of cheating and corruption in Thailand is certainly a matter of concern.

Never happen