Corruption is 'part of Thai mindset'

webfact

Since when trivia is presented as news?

Only in Thailand! laugh.pngclap2.gifcheesy.gif

The World is sitting on Three Elephants standing on a Turtle.

Thailand is standing on Corruption.

I do not mind any of the above until some get moving. Instability is inevitable.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a load of rubbish. Corruption is the mindset of business, not this or that nationality. Some nations have managed to pretty much root it out of the business mindset, but i assume that is through decent political governence and exemplary leadership. In general, the more business there is the more corruption there is. The big difference between say a thailand and an america is that here it is more obvious, but in america corruption is still rife in the business and political world.

As for students 'cheating' on assignments, hardly corruption is it! In fact if teachers continue to teach in a top-down structure while giving out utterly boring assignments which are too difficult, then copying will naturally continue. Don't blame the student, blame the appalling system and education.

And just 3% said they'd not repay their student loans? Not bad at all, but again, hardly corruption.

The most disappointing thing in this news is that this is being spouted by the president of a university. They should be the first ones to look for real causes of student (or citizen) behaviour, rather than just coming out with tired cliches that offer no solutions. The whole eductional structure is a top-down structure, everybogy higher 'telling' everybody lower, with the students at the bottom. When it's boring and difficult, why not copy?? Get creative and set assigments that can't be copied.

corruption here is not limited to the business world it permeates all levels and sections of society.

if cheating is condoned in schools and universities it creates a mindset that it is acceptable to be dishonest that forms part of that individuals character and behaviour.

Who can forget the incident when Thaksin's son, Nong Oak, got caught red-handed cheating in his final exams at Ramkhamhaeng Uni, the Dean reasoned that it was not that serious as Oak was just a youth and "everyone did it", so why single him out as the son of a rich and aspiring politician? Needless to say, Oak was granted his degree and learned the valuable life lesson that a Thai education provides - cheating pays! Just ask his Dad! whistling.gifwhistling.gif
For those that don't already know. Not one student is allowed to fail university. Every single one of them pass, that's right every single student. The lowest ranking possible is 2.00 out of a GPA of 4.00. The reason, it reflects poorly on the education system and Ajarns who are seen as parent figures to the students. Simple...

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Chinese students (I have been in courses with) undertaking studies in Australia have allegedly passed English comprehension (to understand the concepts of what they are studying). Plagiarism is a fail solution (the ones I met, love to cut and paste), so to circumvent this, universities have tutors make teams and put Chinese students in these teams, so they will pass.

Chinese (who come here to 'study' for a degree and able to pay for these degrees) have considerable assistance from for-profit-organisations known as universities ...

So does this meet the 'corruption' charter ... the facilitation of a degree?

[as an aside, a young Thai bloke (who was there when I was) now teaches some subjects ]

What a load of rubbish. Corruption is the mindset of business, not this or that nationality.

...sorry to say, but you don't know Thai-people very well.

example from the horses mouth:..my Thai coffee shop women; "Thai-people LOVE corruption"!

My wife; "corruption is in the blood of the people"

et,et......

Once you have lived here for a while you come to know certain things, especially if you have gone down the local business path.

I have lived here for some time and as a rule,I simply do not get involved with Thai-people beyond necessity, I remain polite and friendly but I stay aloof.

Ironically, the least corrupt people that I have encountered here are those at the grass-root level, people of the Land,farmers et.. lovely gentle folk who are closer to being true practicing Buddhists than any other socio-economic strata that I've rubbed Wys with. wai2.gif

Anyways, Thais hardly have a monopoly on corruption,just that it being so clearly woven in the fabric of the Nation, all the way up to the Unspeakable, makes it look so enormous and dreadful..... in reality a mere pittance in comparison to the Leader of the Fee-World.

Edited by HaleySabai

As for students 'cheating' on assignments, hardly corruption is it! In fact if teachers continue to teach in a top-down structure while giving out utterly boring assignments which are too difficult, then copying will naturally continue. Don't blame the student, blame the appalling system and education.

When it's boring and difficult, why not copy??

As a former TEFL teacher in Chiang Mai, I can certify this is more than just "cheating coz it's hard to answer". No, the culture is based on a no-effort response. Cheating is automatic, whatever the questions to be addressed. Students don't need to denounce cheaters, they all cheat openly, and with a smile.

Then, if you try to stop cheating in a classroom the students will gang up against you. It's an acquired right!

The directors will insinuatingly suggest you to look in the other direction (the whiteboard!).

Paraphrase: When it's boring and difficult, why not try and learn a little something new?

I blame the students AND the system that supports a mentality of effort avoidance.

Edited by Gil

Thai Mind Set

Ummmmm what a load of rubbish corruption is in very country you can find corruption is about greed and WANTING MY SHARE it is not just in Thailand I have no doubt YOU have encouraged corruption at SOME STAGE while living here had a job done cheap etc etc etc bought something cheap etc etc etc UMMMM did you report this corruption to the powers that be. NOT.

Hence my friend you are just as bad as those who did / done deals for you.

Am not finished yet I have just poured another red......corruption is world world wide it's just that maybe those who do it in other countries are shall we say more cunning . ( no disrespect to the Thai People )

OK that's me finished time to drink that wine ( bought cheap of the back of a bike in the local soi ..

In closing stop worrying about it we cannot do anything about it and would if we could NOPE

Corruption is a choice and this article makes it sound as if it isn't. Just another load of bullshit to make it sound like it's acceptable because it's ''part of the Thai mindset''.

Education is the key starting in the home but leadership from Teachers and more importantly the country's Government is vital to turning things around. No good expecting 'civil society' to sort out the country's worst problems, politicians are paid handsomely to do that.

Singapore's Government has the right and only attitude to this problem, full transparency and root out the corrupt. China is also realising it has to be sorted, they have different methods but they are doing something about it. As always the biggest hurdle here is Thai's reluctance to change things they feel comfortable with, so don't expect any dramatic changes soon....like in your complete lifetime !

profoundly simplistic piece of nonsense.

Thai Mind Set

Ummmmm what a load of rubbish corruption is in very country you can find corruption is about greed and WANTING MY SHARE it is not just in Thailand I have no doubt YOU have encouraged corruption at SOME STAGE while living here had a job done cheap etc etc etc bought something cheap etc etc etc UMMMM did you report this corruption to the powers that be. NOT.

Hence my friend you are just as bad as those who did / done deals for you.

Am not finished yet I have just poured another red......corruption is world world wide it's just that maybe those who do it in other countries are shall we say more cunning . ( no disrespect to the Thai People )

OK that's me finished time to drink that wine ( bought cheap of the back of a bike in the local soi ..

In closing stop worrying about it we cannot do anything about it and would if we could NOPE

It continues to amaze me that many foreigners living in Thailand have not the slightest inkling as to the extent of corruption in this country.

The implication...or belief that levels of corruption are rthe dame in most countries is baseless. Corruption is quite measurable as a portion of GDP and in many other ways. It involves transfer or money goods and wealth, as well as abuse of civil rights, it pollutes and destroys heritage....all in all it is a huge leach on the back of any country and the size of that leach is perfectly visible. In Thailand it is massive.

I find it amusing that the people that state Thaksin started corruption in 2001, corruption have been around for a long time the only problem the ammart is upset as one of their own showed the poor how to make their votes count, that is his great sin!

Cheers

I find it amusing that the people that state Thaksin started corruption in 2001, corruption have been around for a long time the only problem the ammart is upset as one of their own showed the poor how to make their votes count, that is his great sin!

Cheers

That is your belief.

One could also say that thaksin, like a precursor to dictatorial rule, was able to manipulate a narrow supporter base to gain control where as the DEM's offered greater incentives to the broad section of the population which is how democracy truly works.

The Thai's are not just represented by farmers though the PTP want to make sure the populist carrot is dangled in front of them to ensure the PTP garner a majority as that is what the farmers represent. As it stands now that majority is a minority (albeit not accepted yet) with the facts presented. Not facts spun or manipulated. Just pure straight facts. Hard to accept I know. I used to support a minority too though it was with a clear conscious.

Time to accept the will of the majority even if you don't like it accept it.

What a load of rubbish. Corruption is the mindset of business, not this or that nationality. Some nations have managed to pretty much root it out of the business mindset, but i assume that is through decent political governence and exemplary leadership. In general, the more business there is the more corruption there is. The big difference between say a thailand and an america is that here it is more obvious, but in america corruption is still rife in the business and political world.

And just 3% said they'd not repay their student loans? Not bad at all, but again, hardly corruption.

The most disappointing thing in this news is that this is being spouted by the president of a university. They should be the first ones to look for real causes of student (or citizen) behaviour, rather than just coming out with tired cliches that offer no solutions. The whole eductional structure is a top-down structure, everybogy higher 'telling' everybody lower, with the students at the bottom. When it's boring and difficult, why not copy?? Get creative and set assigments that can't be copied.

corruption here is not limited to the business world it permeates all levels and sections of society.

if cheating is condoned in schools and universities it creates a mindset that it is acceptable to be dishonest that forms part of that individuals character and behaviour.

Who can forget the incident when Thaksin's son, Nong Oak, got caught red-handed cheating in his final exams at Ramkhamhaeng Uni, the Dean reasoned that it was not that serious as Oak was just a youth and "everyone did it", so why single him out as the son of a rich and aspiring politician? Needless to say, Oak was granted his degree and learned the valuable life lesson that a Thai education provides - cheating pays! Just ask his Dad! whistling.gifwhistling.gif
For those that don't already know. Not one student is allowed to fail university. Every single one of them pass, that's right every single student. The lowest ranking possible is 2.00 out of a GPA of 4.00. The reason, it reflects poorly on the education system and Ajarns who are seen as parent figures to the students. Simple...

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That is in Thailand. How about America.

What is yingluck's excuse for getting a Master's of Public Administration degree from Kentucky state university when she was unable to grasp the English language?

I am unable to order a meal in Khon Khan due to my inability to speak Thai. How can yingluck get a Masters degree in Kentucky without speaking English?

Please tell me? AND no they did not have a Thai language department just for yingluck...

Edited by djjamie

Ummmm can't resist this one corruption in Thailand IT's EVERYWHERE in every country in the world and I mean every country look in your own HOME backyard it's there.....why raise it in just because you are in Thailand tell me a country where there is no corruption it's not possible.

Why do people who living are holidaying in Thailand always complain about the corruption here look in your own back yard.

people in glass houses should not throw stones............

I thought this topic had run its course ...

while I agree that this 'corruption' is everywhere (we teach kids to lie so as not offend other people or through punitive action/s)

I think that what many object to is that police and public servants are 'on the take' ... but I can assure you (as an Australian living at Surfers Paradise), tourists are considered fair game by many businesses (some of them actually run by their fellow countrymen; Chinese / Japanese) ...

what sticks in my craw is 'Australian' souvenirs made everywhere but ... isn't that a corruption?

Ummmm can't resist this one corruption in Thailand IT's EVERYWHERE in every country in the world and I mean every country look in your own HOME backyard it's there.....why raise it in just because you are in Thailand tell me a country where there is no corruption it's not possible.

Why do people who living are holidaying in Thailand always complain about the corruption here look in your own back yard.

people in glass houses should not throw stones............

Get a life, Can you bribe police for a minor traffic offence in your home country ?. There is corruption,but nothing like the LOS.

I have been in business in the UK for over 30 years and never paid a bribe to win a job and never would, I have 25 electricians and technicians working in my company and all our work comes via a good honest reputation for hard work and we certainly don’t rip customers off we work mainly in the distilling industry and 99% of our work comes from recommendations from past customers never advertised for work for over 25 years, and by the time I started primary school I already new right from wrong and to always be honest as taught from my parents. And I would never consider doing business in a corrupt 3rd world country like Thailand where greed is good seems to be the favourite words here after money money.

• Like 1

I have been in business in the UK for over 30 years and never paid a bribe to win a job and never would, I have 25 electricians and technicians working in my company and all our work comes via a good honest reputation for hard work and we certainly don’t rip customers off we work mainly in the distilling industry and 99% of our work comes from recommendations from past customers never advertised for work for over 25 years, and by the time I started primary school I already new right from wrong and to always be honest as taught from my parents. And I would never consider doing business in a corrupt 3rd world country like Thailand where greed is good seems to be the favourite words here after money money.

Yes, agree in part in that to be successful in business you need good values, but in UK there are also massive inequalities caused by business rates. Have you ever asked what you get for your money and do you one minute think your comments would matter? I think not! Business rates when you think about it do not go to your local authority, but go towards paying for central governments mistakes, like to bale out the banks and pay for MPs second homes, MPs trips abroad to patch up failures with disproportionate immigration policies

There is corruption in every country, but unfortunately for poorer countries there is only less accountability. But with better accountability comes greater lawyer fees etc. it's wrong to label countries like Thailand as corrupt because you do not as yet trade with them.

Corruption is 'part of Thai mindset'

yes it is, they are rotten to the core, but they didn´t get there by their own, they got some help, alien´s help
I am not going to say that they do fair play between them, oh no, they use to cheat one to each other too
But mostly the reason why thais are so corrupt is because they have always ingenuous tourists coming again and paying again, and people who is accepting their blackmails just to be able to do bussiness here.
It´s actually some foreigner´s fault because they cheat foreigners and foreigners are back again, they spoil foreigner´s money with racist laws and foolist foreigners still wanting to do bussiness here, this certaintly can make them believe that any single foreigner got a full wallet and empty skull.
  • Like 1

Cheers

That is your belief.

One could also say that thaksin, like a precursor to dictatorial rule, was able to manipulate a narrow supporter base to gain control where as the DEM's offered greater incentives to the broad section of the population which is how democracy truly works.

The Thai's are not just represented by farmers though the PTP want to make sure the populist carrot is dangled in front of them to ensure the PTP garner a majority as that is what the farmers represent. As it stands now that majority is a minority (albeit not accepted yet) with the facts presented. Not facts spun or manipulated. Just pure straight facts. Hard to accept I know. I used to support a minority too though it was with a clear conscious.

Outstanding. Thailand at that point was just coming out of the 97 crash and the democrats were unwanted. Everyone fancied someone new and they got thaksin, warts and all.

Since then the dems have been in decline. Chain, abhisit, Suthep. The odd threesome. No principles, no rudder, no meaning and no relevance.

What exactly do these guys stand for politically and economically? Anyone?

Cheers

That is your belief.

Outstanding. Thailand at that point was just coming out of the 97 crash and the democrats were unwanted. Everyone fancied someone new and they got thaksin, warts and all.

Since then the dems have been in decline. Chain, abhisit, Suthep. The odd threesome. No principles, no rudder, no meaning and no relevance.

What exactly do these guys stand for politically and economically? Anyone?

The future.

post-140765-0-75969700-1394849580_thumb.