Travel agent for overseas holiday packages

nedkellylives

I really don't think you're going to find an Australian style package tour travel agent in Thailand.

Australians are among the world's most prolific travellers for reasons such as isolation, high cost of internal travel and accommodation, an in-built curiosity to see different cultures and a surplus of recreational funds.

For their annual holidays they flock to destinations such as Fiji, Bali, Singapore and Phuket. The big agencies can afford to bulk book airline seats and hotel rooms knowing they will fill them.

Conversely, the Thais are not great travellers. (although some Thai women would travel to the ends of the earth if they find a farang sponsor). Most have little interest, or even knowledge, of neighbouring countries. They don't flock together like the Chinese, Japanese or Russians for international travel. In lieu, they embark on life threatening bus trips to other provinces. No travel agent can bulk book holidays for this market.

There is also a large bunch of well travelled expats in Thailand who frequently breach the borders. These people come from everywhere, travel anywhere, and for many different reasons. They are generally experienced and confident enough to make their own arrangements. Usually they are not looking for package tours.

I don't think you will find a competent, experienced travel agent capable of booking packages to other countries, in Thailand.

These are my thoughts and views on the subject, feel free to disagree,

Good post but still a good chance of an argument. Thai Airways have holiday packages http://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/roh/discover-thailand.page?

They do not sell their packages themselves but recommend their agents

Took a Thai airways travel package brochure to 2 of their recommended agents, banga rd and central festival

Neither new what i was talking about even after showing them the brochure

Told only do discount airfares and accomodation

I asked and got given the brochure at the main Thai airways office in Phuket town

• Like 1

I really don't think you're going to find an Australian style package tour travel agent in Thailand.

Australians are among the world's most prolific travellers for reasons such as isolation, high cost of internal travel and accommodation, an in-built curiosity to see different cultures and a surplus of recreational funds.

For their annual holidays they flock to destinations such as Fiji, Bali, Singapore and Phuket. The big agencies can afford to bulk book airline seats and hotel rooms knowing they will fill them.

Conversely, the Thais are not great travellers. (although some Thai women would travel to the ends of the earth if they find a farang sponsor). Most have little interest, or even knowledge, of neighbouring countries. They don't flock together like the Chinese, Japanese or Russians for international travel. In lieu, they embark on life threatening bus trips to other provinces. No travel agent can bulk book holidays for this market.

There is also a large bunch of well travelled expats in Thailand who frequently breach the borders. These people come from everywhere, travel anywhere, and for many different reasons. They are generally experienced and confident enough to make their own arrangements. Usually they are not looking for package tours.

I don't think you will find a competent, experienced travel agent capable of booking packages to other countries, in Thailand.

Would these well travelled expats or yourself arrange a 21 day holiday package in canada that included train, coach and cruise ship tours

Personally i beleive they would use a travel agent who knows the destination, has the contacts and gets good prices on everything

I myself if going to somewhere like Cambodia arrange my own holiday also Bali, Singapore, Hongkong etc

Would these well travelled expats or yourself arrange a 21 day holiday package in canada that included train, coach and cruise ship tours

Personally i beleive they would use a travel agent who knows the destination, has the contacts and gets good prices on everything

I myself if going to somewhere like Cambodia arrange my own holiday also Bali, Singapore, Hongkong etc

I routinely do it myself for much more difficult destinations than Canada. Cannot imagine a Thai agent who is knowledgeable enough about them.

I routinely do it myself for much more difficult destinations than Canada. Cannot imagine a Thai agent who is knowledgeable enough about them.

Me too! A local Thai agent wouldn't know where to start!

That's fine if you have been to a country before, what if it's first time

Jetset in Australia have people in the travel business in their home countries organize the packages for them

A lady who either manages or owns a jetset franchise told me

I personally spent 2 years touring Australia in a caravan so i know most places as well as TAs do

Otherwise i would use a travel agent there, its a big country

Yes I would organise it myself. I've done similar in the past.

As I've advised previously on another thread, why not get a local (in this case, Canadian) agent to organise the tours in their own country and just get the best return airfares from the internet? Don't rely on a Thai agent to get that sort of tour right, you might end up in Québec..

Me too! A local Thai agent wouldn't know where to start!

Thai agents seem only to do Thailand tours and packages, we organize our own, its easy

Yes I would organise it myself. I've done similar in the past.

As I've advised previously on another thread, why not get a local (in this case, Canadian) agent to organise the tours in their own country and just get the best return airfares from the internet? Don't rely on a Thai agent to get that sort of tour right, you might end up in Québec..

How long ago was that, IF i could find a Thai travel agent and that"s a big IF who could arrange everything including

visas and insurance i would be quite happy to pay them even if it"S more expensive than doing it myself,that's not a problem

That's fine if you have been to a country before, what if it's first time

Jetset in Australia have people in the travel business in their home countries organize the packages for them

A lady who either manages or owns a jetset franchise told me

I personally spent 2 years touring Australia in a caravan so i know most places as well as TAs do

Otherwise i would use a travel agent there, its a big country

For me and my friends it's almost always a first time, we go to a different country every time. Japan was kind of hard because most of the relevant websites are in Japanese only. Haven't been to Canada but should be a piece of cake. The Canadian regional tour operators will be of course useful if you plan to do some big outdoor adventure trips requiring equipment, advance booking etc. If you find a Thai agent, the only thing they will do is find a Canadian tour organizer for you, then take their (probably big) cut without making any effort themselves.

Some people are young and still bullet proof and enjoy arranging their own backpacker type holidays

I know of a couple of people in their late 50's early 60's who still do it

Then there are the others who live in the past and talk about holidays they arranged themselves 20 or 30 years ago

And would not travel the same way now, if they travel