thailand missing opportunities by No foreign ownership

jacksam

Dear dear me. I love the way the OP gets sidetracked by a slow spiral sideways. . Everyone talking about condo development. Read my post. It was about single dwelling development by individuals.

In AU where I did smaller scale property development I.e domestic stuff. The government down to local council had so many town planning guidelines and what we call IV

OVERLAYS .The development can be controlled rigorously . Anyway over it .made suggestion for a country being left behind, that would not impact prices and just give Thailand a free ride on my money and knowhow and in the main the existing expats on a good wicket what status quo so they can have cheap food and shags.

Your topic is done OP, consensus is you're wrong, nobody's talking about that anymore, no point in going on repeating yourself.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When it comes to owning land etc. I fully understand Thailand. They need to protect themselves as good as they can, like other countries also do.

To me the biggest problem in Thailand is their political system in general, which is clearly really messed up. The loss of opportunity lies there, because everything is uncertain. As things are now, nobody knows that is going to happen. The laws might totally change overnight and that holds back many investments in this country.

Last thing TPTB here want is to have to actually compete on a level playing field under effective rule of law, not with each other and CERTAINLY not with the globalized international players.

Much better to be a big fish in a small pond - remember status (face) are more important than life itself to most Thais, money is way down on the list of priorities and anyone who has real power here's already got way more than their heirs can spend in a hundred lifetimes anyway.

The last thing they care about is the welfare of the country as a whole, ie the common people.

• Like 1

Been reinjected now with some of the posts. Well informed opinions about how the world rolls. I'm not being sarcastic Its more a story now how the rich get richer. Even today coming back from swimming fun park in a taxi, I kept seeing those half completed 2 story ,whatever they were. Driving past a 4 story thing where 90% were completed and inhabited but the rest. Had trees growing trough em. And almost countless HALF demolished joints, maybe size if 3 shops.

I know this has nothing to do with my post,BUT.

who owns all this shit. Must be the wealthy Thai that can just let it sit.

Call me Mel Gibson, but did the rich Thai buy it at fire sale price. Knock half down so no vargrant Thai can move in . Now just sit on it tax free as no local government or other brings them to account.

Please don't bag me I love if here. But the poor Thai people don't own these sites. What's going on ?

Been reinjected now with some of the posts. Well informed opinions about how the world rolls. I'm not being sarcastic Its more a story now how the rich get richer. Even today coming back from swimming fun park in a taxi, I kept seeing those half completed 2 story ,whatever they were. Driving past a 4 story thing where 90% were completed and inhabited but the rest. Had trees growing trough em. And almost countless HALF demolished joints, maybe size if 3 shops.

Call me Mel Gibson, but did the rich Thai buy it at fire sale price. Knock half down so no vargrant Thai can move in . Now just sit on it tax free as no local government or other brings them to account.

Please don't bag me I love if here. But the poor Thai people don't own these sites. What's going on ?

80% of the wealth in Thailand is owned by well under 20% of the population.

Some say 40 families own over half.

My understanding is that these kind of ratios are quite similar to recent US stats, which is going further and further in that direction even after everyone knows it, the middle class disappearing pretty quickly, most Americans heading toward third world levels in coming decades.

I believe Thailand is going in the opposite direction, the hope of the nation's future lies with their growing middle class and ambitious hard-working individuals rising out of the rural poor majority.

Personally I think the fact that real estate has low to no taxes is a great thing - in the west you have to make sure you have a good income stream right to the end of your life if you want to stay in the same home. Here once you own it outright you only have to worry about maintenance.

Edited by wym

My understanding is that these kind of ratios are quite similar to recent US stats, which is going further and further in that direction even after everyone knows it, the middle class disappearing pretty quickly, most Americans heading toward third world levels in coming decades.

I believe Thailand is going in the opposite direction, the hope of the nation's future lies with their growing middle class and ambitious hard-working individuals rising out of the rural poor majority.

Personally I think the fact that real estate has low to no taxes is a great thing - in the west you have to make sure you have a good income stream right to the end of your life if you want to stay in the same home. Here once you own it outright you only have to worry about maintenance.

I didnt know that about the real estate taxes,

A change in commercial properties taxation would go a long way to solving the riddle of the wasteland of unfinished product, and put a lot of the so called wealthy thai's in the same boat as the real world

• Like 1

Land prices are Crazy in Thailand, in Wong Amat, North Pattaya a 5 Rai plot has just been sold for .......wait for it....200 Million Baht, they're going to erect a 52 storey Condo on the land !

The condos will start at 175,000 per square metre, they must know something I don't !!! blink.png

they must know something I don't !!!

Sure they do. They know the real price they paid and what they gonna build and sell at what price, instead of the rumors you heard from the guy on the barstool next to you.

One things for sure, you know nothing, I happen to have a condo right opposite that land that has just been sold, it's not rumours, it's fact, and its a fact they paid 200 Million for 5 Rai, and a fact they are building a 52 storey condo, Mustique WongAmat Beach.

I wish it was barstool crap, it's gonna be built right in front of my condo.

Wanna question that, PM me, come round and see for yourself. ( assuming you live here that is )

True these are reports from locals, and they could be stretching the truth, I am not sure, but unfortunately that condo is going to be built, they have started to drill test holes for the foundations ;(

Suan Sawarn, The Park, Ocean 1, The Sails, and about 20 others from which the name slips my memory now, are also gonna be builtcoffee1.gif .

Oh, I thought you was a rare serious poster, do you live here, if you do, come down to wong amat and see for yourself, PM me, we'll have a few beers on the beach.

You can admire Wong Amat Tower that is all but finished, and The Palm Condo, 100 metres further down the beach, you can't miss it, it's about 41 floors high already, only another 5 to go.

Edited by 10Yen

The way to go for farangs is to rent land . Convert shipping containers in your accomidation .These can be put together in a way that they can easily be taken apart & shipped to another plot if the people that you rent the land off try the rent rise trick or if you just want to move. Them containers can be made to look great.

It is a compromise that keeps you clear of the iffy dealings in land ownership

Why the hell do Farangs rejoice in the chance that Thailand won't make a go of things and attract high rollers, are they afraid their 500 baht ST might be threatened ?

Times are changing, in Wong Amat there are a Ton of Russians, but guess what, not one beer bar, then again, if you saw some of these Russian women, there is no way you'd look at a somtam cruncher .

There is only one real reason why Thais do not allow land sales to foreigners here - and that is because they do not like competition - they do not allow competition in industry (restrictive business ownership rules / WP limitations / unequal investment required / vague rules / monopolies / price fixing / etc ) or in the workplace (job restrictions / high minimum wage for foreigners / painful WP and Visa rules / etc) - a very small group of individual families own a high percentage of the prime real estate across the country, other wealthy people pick up the sub-prime scraps, and the poor Thais end either being borrowed the land (N.S. 3 and below) as long as they do not build on it and use it for aggro (and can be removed from them otherwise or if left fallow for too long). Foreigners with deep pockets could stamp all over the land monopolies here and there would also be calls (with money behind them) for strengthening and enforcement of the many illegalities and dodgy dealing that happen currently (everything from secret gov. land auctions with selective bidders in the know, to reserve encroachment).

The old one about foreign money would push the price of land up - get real - 5 years ago the land was at least a quarter of what it is today. 20 years ago it was many times less (my family bought 27 rai of N.S.3+ measured land - building grade (above the water table etc with main road access) for a little over 1m baht - today it is worth that and more a rai! There has been a land price boom - even in the sticks for developable land - and its not fuelled by the west! Just look how many condos and moo bahns are going up - not just in tourist areas - but across the country. Rice paddies built over (water reservoirs built over!) - mostly empty, but more being built day in day out - they have the China bug here and that is fuelling a boom (that can only bust!) - and will result in the loss of much arable land to boot. Poor construction, planning and maintenance gives many of these moo bahns just a decade or two life span - what then? weeds and broken concrete - and no buyers as we all know they want to sell for at least purchase price here regardless of condition or use.

The old land-price chestnut is and always has been rubbish anyway. Companies can get around the land rules and always have (nominee directors etc). A simple statute say that land for prime domicile only (i.e. they have to live on it and can only have one) and a maximum of 2 rai - a high sales tax (% - such as sliding 100 to 50 percent from years 1 through 5 of profit over purchase price) if sold within 5 years - no commercial development and no land sub-division whilst in foreign ownership. Then anyone could own land to live on, better houses would be built and maintained, new practices and styles would appear, and there would be no benefit to land developers or speculators (due to the limitations and length of holding to realise a possible profit on a mere 2 rai max). The whole lot wrapped up in a few paragraphs and people to actually pay into the land boom (and help support it) rather than it fuelled by unrepayable construction loans alone!

• Like 1

Says who? Links? Sources? References?

Some say 40 families own over half

Who says this? What 40 families? Surnames? Sources? References?

--

Again: please refrain from posting twaddle in a vain attempt to appear knowledgeable.

Why do you think it is twaddle? If we consider that land ownership means a chanote, then much of the farmland across the north, south and central rice bowl are not privately "owned" at all - indeed, low Nor Sor land is land "lent" by the state for the use of agricultural use - and can be "repatriated" and handed to another family if left unused for a number of years. If you looked at the UK a huge amount of the land is owned by few families (including royalty of course) and companies or groups (including the National trust). It does not take too much of a stretch to see that the apex of wealth here is very narrow, and as land (along with gold) is the usual way of holding wealth in this country, that it could well be that few families own much of the privately owned land across the country - I would think it very likely!

Too lazy to Google, but in other kingdoms, can foreigners own land in the kingdom? I thought the king "owns" all the land in a kingdom.

The Queen of England is the largest private landowner in the world. This is because every Brit or commonwealth subject actually does not own the land outright.

Don't talk <deleted>
Not that she could ever take it back but I heard of this story the other day also.

Land in the colonies has technically been leased from the crown in perpetuity. Technically, the crown owns it.

Where do you get this rubbish from? or should I be asking, how can you be so stupid to believe it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

http://www.newstatesman.com/global-issues/2011/03/land-queen-world-australia

Search formSearch

New Statesman New Statesman New Statesman Week subscription offers

Main menuHomeSponsored AdvertorialUkraineScottish IndependenceEducationFeminismSyriaThe StaggersPoliticsBusiness & EconomicsCultureBlogsEnergyEventsPodcastMagazineArchive

Who owns the world?

The Queen, the family of the actress Nicole Kidman, King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia and the media tyco

BY KEVIN CAHILL PUBLISHED 17 MARCH, 2011 - 13:27

StumbleUpon logoReddit logoPrint HTML logo

width

The world relative to its human population is quite large. It is 123 billion acres in size, of which 37 billion acres are land. This means that there are a notional four acres available for every man, woman and child in the predicted 2050 world population 0f nine billion, which would be an increase of two billion on the present population. But notional is not real, and what is noticeable when looking at how the 37 billion acres are used by nature and humanity is that the urban area, humanity's footprint on the land patch, is extremely small, at 1.5 per cent. This conflicts with the common rhetoric of environmentalists, which too often comes fact-free.

Land use has historically tended to follow claims to ownership, defined as the right to the use of and disposal of land. The relationship between humans and land begins with a fundamental claim by some people or countries to "own" land. On that basis, the world divides into two simple categories: those countries that allow citizens to own the land to which they hold legal title and those that grant only tenancies to their citizens, permitting the state to claim a total prior right to the use of all land within its borders.

Those countries that allow their people to own the land to which they hold legal title are among the most economically successful - such as the United States, Germany and France. Those operating what is essentially a feudal or pre-feudal system, in which the state or monarch claims legal rights to all land, tend to be less developed, with rare exceptions such as the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

The latter category, in which citizens cannot own land legally, is dominated by one of the oddest situations on earth: the legal ownership by a single individual of all land in a number of countries and the consequent downgrading of all citizens of those countries to the status of feudal vassals in relation to land.

The world's primary feudal landowner is Queen Elizabeth II. She is Queen of 32 countries, head of a Commonwealth of 54 countries in which a quarter of the world's population lives, and legal owner of about 6.6 billion acres of land, one-sixth of the earth's land surface. Her position is a relic of the last and largest land empire in history, rumours of whose demise would appear to be somewhat premature based on her position and possessions. But her power is real, or at least legally real, and it derives from a tradition based on a specific and unbalanced relationship between rulers and the ruled.

I await my apology.

Just because it seems impossible don't believe that amazing things might occur. I didn't say she could get the land back, but that is the technical legal stance. It is a legal anomaly, but that is the case. According to the article, beyond royalty, the largest private lease holder is the Kidman estates in Australia actually a relative of Nicole Kidman.

Who is the single largest land holder in thailand. Of course, its not his they will shout, but is it, or isn't it? When someone staked claim to the colonies, who did they claim it on behalf of?

John Smith or the relevant King or Queen of England?

Edited by Thai at Heart

--

Again: please refrain from posting twaddle in a vain attempt to appear knowledgeable.

Why do you think it is twaddle? If we consider that land ownership means a chanote, then much of the farmland across the north, south and central rice bowl are not privately "owned" at all - indeed, low Nor Sor land is land "lent" by the state for the use of agricultural use - and can be "repatriated" and handed to another family if left unused for a number of years. If you looked at the UK a huge amount of the land is owned by few families (including royalty of course) and companies or groups (including the National trust). It does not take too much of a stretch to see that the apex of wealth here is very narrow, and as land (along with gold) is the usual way of holding wealth in this country, that it could well be that few families own much of the privately owned land across the country - I would think it very likely!

Why do you think it is twaddle?

In the absence of verifiable data, I consider just about everything on forums to be twaddle. Forums attract twaddle-mongers.

Kindly also note that only a fool or liar will forward unsupported statistics.

Well yes, wrt statistics I always follow Disraeli, "Lies, damned lies, and statistics"

'After all, facts are facts, and although we may quote one to another with a chuckle the words of the Wise Statesman, "Lies - dam_n lies - and statistics," still there are some easy figures the simplest must understand, and the astutest cannot wriggle out of.’

...but I still feel the gist of what he alluded to is correct (in my opinion of course).

78.394% of statistics are made up on the spot tongue.png

• Like 1

80% of the wealth in Thailand is owned by well under 20% of the population.[/background]

--

Obviously WAG's but hard to believe wealth is more equally distributed here than in the US.

Top fifteen families own 39% http://rufuspollock.org/2005/12/09/a-few-wealth-families-control-a-large-fraction-of-many-economies/

http://books.google.com/books?id=N9EmYSzdiaAC&pg=PR14&lpg=PR14&dq=wealth+%22owned+by%22+families+Thailand&source=bl&ots=DNjIe9hFg0&sig=Y7A8lAZueuRBzdDBU2Xq0BPl_cg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=VVUeU8b9B6ew2gXcxICICQ&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=wealth%20%22owned%20by%22%20families%20Thailand&f=false

Kriangsak Chareonwongsak at Development Studies Institute

Recent studies in Thailand show a widening gap between its rich and poor, with the upper class holding most of the country’s national assets, Press TV reports.

According to the study carried out by the Thammasat University, the nation’s richest 20 percent own more than half of the value of all household assets, including houses, land, cars, and cash.

“With less than three years to go, Thailand, an Asian economic community, must address challenges and bridge the development gap,” Development Studies Institute’s Kriangsak Chareonwongsak said.

“In order for the country to pull itself out of the political abyss and division, it has to start by land reform and equitable distribution of wealth,” he added.

The study points out growing difficulties for a nation heavily dependent on its agricultural sector, when at least 80 percent of the land is owned by 10 percent of the population.

Edited by wym
  • Like 1

I gotta ask myself a stupid question. If all of the women here in Thailand are damaged goods as one member suggested, why the heck are we coming from all over the world to have a relationship with them???? Feel sorry for someone that reflects this attitude every time I read it. We have not all been bent over backwards here. And sure as hell, at least in my case, and I am guessing to at least a few others, sure as heck was in a past life in another country. NOT HERE! If your life is so negative and full of pain, as others have suggested, just why the heck are you still here? My God!!!!!

In fact the "Good" In Thai women is the very reason many of us are here. Well, that and 100 other reasons but it sure as heck is at the top of my list.

I gotta ask myself a stupid question. If all of the women here in Thailand are damaged goods as one member suggested, why the heck are we coming from all over the world to have a relationship with them???? Feel sorry for someone that reflects this attitude every time I read it. We have not all been bent over backwards here. And sure as hell, at least in my case, and I am guessing to at least a few others, sure as heck was in a past life in another country. NOT HERE! If your life is so negative and full of pain, as others have suggested, just why the heck are you still here? My God!!!!!

In fact the "Good" In Thai women is the very reason many of us are here. Well, that and 100 other reasons but it sure as heck is at the top of my list.

The way to go for farangs is to rent land . Convert shipping containers in your accomidation .These can be put together in a way that they can easily be taken apart & shipped to another plot if the people that you rent the land off try the rent rise trick or if you just want to move. Them containers can be made to look great.

And let me guess you have just started a company converting shipping containers into modular houses ?

--

If TV's membership followed that rule there would be no posts on TV

• Like 1

--

Wym posted a link that completely supported his point and made Eusebio and the others look completely uninformed.

http://rufuspollock.org/2005/12/09/a-few-wealth-families-control-a-large-fraction-of-many-economies/

Rich people do own most everything in Thailand.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

I always get a laugh out of the line " the poor locals won't have anywhere to live, nor be able to afford land". Well, who sold the land in the first place? Surely it wasn't the foreigners! If Thais want to hold on to the best land, there is a simple solution, don't sell it! It's not rocket science as most countries around the world that allow foreign ownership seem to do just fine.

Furthermore, if a foreigner buys land in another country, it's not like he can take the land or dirt with him, it stays right where it is. If a local wants to buy the land from a foreigner, he can buy it. The foreigner isn't stealing the land <deleted>.

• Like 1

Cargo-tecture is indeed a great concept, but not so cheap and easy to implement, eliminating toxic materials, retaining structural integrity, making it look nice.

There are many specialist architects worldwide in this area, googling will find many nice examples and contact info.

Better to construct your modules yourself, design for easy lifting & transport, using that standard form factor.

To fit INSIDE the container if you want to be able to ship overseas.

Or just use the traditional Thai teak house design, inherently created to be easily disassembled and moved, very inexpensive too.

But have to retrofit for A/C if you want that.

I like the idea of a modern "core" A/C and utilities module, surrounded by traditional teak with the airflow features.

But the principle is gold, own the home, rent the land, easily move whenever you like. Key is setting all this up BEFORE you start shopping for a wife, then move her there rather than you living anywhere near her family.

• Like 1

--

Wym posted a link that completely supported his point and made Eusebio and the others look completely uninformed.

http://rufuspollock.org/2005/12/09/a-few-wealth-families-control-a-large-fraction-of-many-economies/

Rich people do own most everything in Thailand.

What a load of urine.

The link is to Rufus Pollock's personal website. Oh yeah! We've all heard of Rufus Pollock, haven't we?

And the website is "proudly powered by Wordpress". Professional or what!

Best of all, dear Mr Rufus quotes a bunch of stats from a source which he doesn't even link to.

I'm sorry Mr KerryK --- you're fired.

http://books.google....hailand&f=false

Wym posted the links but I'll re post them for you. You are welcome to counter with opposing links.

Mid 2013 the net worth of Thailand's 50 richest totalled US$84 billion - 2.52 trillion baht, equivalent to one fourth of the nation's GDP. The link below provides the names of some of the prominent families with the largest share of GDP.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Dhanin-tops-Thailands-richest-list-30209687.html

Forbes Thailand provides some more detail at:

http://www.forbes.com/thailand-billionaires/list/

Edited by simple1

Don't bother doing any more leg work, check out his other posts, not worth it.

The US stats are of course much more likely to be accurate, I'm sure these Thai families are very successful at hiding big chunks, seeing that so much wealth came out of drugs and war-time shenanigans.

And I don't think many would claim that Thailand is more egalitarian this way than the US, even though the Gini index is income rather than assets, we're about on par there.

And let me guess you have just started a company converting shipping containers into modular houses ?

I can't imagine quite how much insulation you might need to put onto a shipping container to stop yourself accidentally frying yourself alive inside.

Maybe an appropriate insulator could be to build a layer of bricks around the outside of the container?

• Like 1

well you guess wrong AGAIN . So now you can go & guess about others . You really are a very nice man HONEST

I can't imagine quite how much insulation you might need to put onto a shipping container to stop yourself accidentally frying yourself alive inside.

Maybe an appropriate insulator could be to build a layer of bricks around the outside of the container?

It will be 3 or four years before I will be doing it but theres no problem with insulation & if you want a second roof could be added on top .Rock wool or foam insulates anything . There is also some other methods that spray on but I havent really gone into detail about conversion as it will be around 3-4yrs before I intend or need to .