Help me choose my next bike - CB500X, NC700X ..... or PCX!

Just sold my bike but now I can't make up my mind about what to get next and keep flipping from model to model.

Please help with some reasoned (and unreasoned) advice on which to go for.

Here's my bike history so far:

BSA Bantam - awful

BSA B25 - worse

Norton Commando - great 'till it broke

Triumph RS 955 Sprint - Brilliant - but this was in the UK

Enfield Bullet - lovely - but this was in India

Yamaha Nouvo 135 - scary - what are those tyres made from??

Keeway RKV 200 - surprisingly good

Main use: Odd trips around Bangkok - mainly heavy traffic as I live in central Sukhumvit area - plus extended tours out of the city when I get the chance ... and I have a longer term plan for some extended cross-border touring.

Current thoughts:

1. Honda CB500X - but concerned about the oil issues and recall - do I need to wait 'till it's all sorted?

2. Honda NC700X - really liked the low down torque and the DCT - ideal for the Sukhumvit leg of any trips. Handy helmet storage too.

3. Honda PCX - no really - stick with me on this - for the cost of the NC700X I could get a CB500X for touring and a PCX for the city and still have some change

4. Ducati 795 - does not fit my needs - but damn it's good looking - and the sound .....

Also considered a Versys and not discounted it yet.

I don't want to stretch to the cost of an import - but my dream bike would be the Triumph Tiger 800XC ... in black.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i say cb500x.

easy to ride, surprising low down torque for a 471 cc machine. great low speed ride, better than 250cc bikes.

also it is a forgiving bike, makes it best to let you stay vertical.

easy on fuel. repairs are cheap.

also cheap to buy. nearly half the price of honda Nc700x or Ducati - i dont even count pcx on this equation. just dont buy it

besides, it is comfy, has great ergonomics, and weather protection. it has a high stance people like in traffic - i prefer low stance though.

can do tours with it, has lots of space. decent range.

nc700x is also a good bike not much more powerful than cb500x.

same ergonomics and more space, love the front compartment.

but heavy - 25 kg heavier than cb500x, if dct add 10 kg more! you will feel that weight during tight conditions in Sukhumvit or while doing u turns, while parking etc.

but dual clutch version is handy - (dogpoo - a former TV member is selling his nc700x with dual clutch tranny and a lot of mods in classifieds for 375 k but i am sure he is OK for a 350 k thb, just check it out, it is a good value then)

ducati is ducati, classic nice looking for people - not for me, dont like round headlights much - but expensive, no space, drinks fuel like old fatso farang drinking beer in a pattaya beer bar.

expensive to repair too and common ducati glitches will haunt you.

moreover, not practical for touring and two up.

hope these help.

good luck and just b.uy cb500x

• Like 1

With your history of eccentric bikes, the fact that you like the sound of the Ducati and the Italian styling, and since you are happy with Keeway, I would recommend you consider the Benelli 600. I am surprised it's not on your short list already. Roughly the same price as an ER6n, but with more HP and 2 more cylinders.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/639066-benelli-keeway-generic-600-rk6bn600/

BenelliBJ600GS35.jpg

57m.jpg

Don't know how Ducati got into the equation. You really need to decide what you want a bike for. The fact that there's a cb500x in your list and you also consider a Versys, I'd think the Cb500x is the bike you want.

NC 700 is a weird choice and expensive, I personally won't consider it.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have to agree that your list of choices is diverse to the point of being silly- you need to decide exactly what type of bike you want (sportbike, cruiser, basic transportation, whatever), and then pick the models that fit your budget.

Not really - in my view anyway - a bigger bike is not a logical decision as no one needs anything bigger than a Wave in reality.

The CB500X and NC700X are very close in purpose, style, power and riding position - and if you read my post the thinking is that rather than pay the extra for the DCT auto I could get the CB500X for longer rides out of the city and a PCX for nipping about in BKK - both for less than the 350k needed for the NC700.

And the Ducati Monster is the same price range as the NC700 and all three (except the 'spare' PCX) are basically street bikes that can tour.

None have any real off road ability and none are sports bikes or cruisers. So where's the problem?

My max budget is around 350k - so all bikes including the CB500 + PCX option are around the same budget.

Edited by Familyonthemove

V-Strom and Benelli both good suggestions.

In UK I would certainly consider the V-Strom .... but not sure about the servicing here as there's not likely to be many about. I think there's more experience of bigger Kawasaki and Honda's here?

Looked at the Benelli at the Motor Show - it looks good value but although I was happy spending 49K on a Keeway RKV - I'm not so sure about over 200K on one of these?

Leaning towards the CB500X (today!) as it's light enough for traffic and big enough for touring.

I have to agree that your list of choices is diverse to the point of being silly- you need to decide exactly what type of bike you want (sportbike, cruiser, basic transportation, whatever), and then pick the models that fit your budget.

Not really - in my view anyway - a bigger bike is not a logical decision as no one needs anything bigger than a Wave in reality.

The CB500X and NC700X are very close in purpose, style, power and riding position - and if you read my post the thinking is that rather than pay the extra for the DCT auto I could get the CB500X for longer rides out of the city and a PCX for nipping about in BKK - both for less than the 350k needed for the NC700.

And the Ducati Monster is the same price range as the NC700 and all three (except the 'spare' PCX) are basically street bikes that can tour.

None have any real off road ability and none are sports bikes or cruisers. So where's the problem?

My max budget is around 350k - so all bikes including the CB500 + PCX option are around the same budget.

Have sent you a PM, FOM.....

• Like 1

if you buy cb500x, believe me, you dont need a pcx for the city.

it is as nimble as pcx and thinner.

if i were you, i dont waste my 280 k thb on a benelli! if you want inline four, just get honda cbr650f for the same price then.

get cb500x for 214 k and spend the remaining 135 k for petrol, service, repairs, tax and first class insurance for 3-4 years and/or 100.000 km!

easy.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

The fact you added the Ducati to your list along with the Honda 500 and 700 is what made it a bit ridiculous as you said it doesn't fit your needs (which could be filled by the PCX as an 'only bike' if necessary) but you're considering it- that means any bike in your price range is up for grabs, which makes coming to a final decision more difficult.

I look towards performance- in your budget, I'd probably go for the Z800, and it will be a better bike than anything you've previously owned (the Triumph was nice in its day, but that day has passed)- I rode with several of them a couple weeks ago and I was impressed with what it can do for the money (in LOS)- if you're thinking about the Duc Monster 795, you can't leave the Kawi off your list (or the new Honda 650).

There's no ''problem'- you asked for opinions.

Edited by RubberSideDown

No one can make this decision for you.

Who knows your experience, riding level, tastes.

Do your homework re: specs, narrow down your choices, consider your budget.

Then rent any models that interest you. Decide for yourself.

Can not rent the bike you are interested in - then if this bike makes your short list you just may have to bite the bullet and buy.

I think you are on the right track with buying 2 bikes. One for the city - lane splitting, small so easy to park. Light so fuel efficient. And one that is more suitable for longer trips on the highway and thru the mountains.

But all bikes are a compromise in one way or another. Even full-on race bikes make sacrifices here to gain an edge there.

Only you can finally decide what is the bike for you.

yes, z800 is also an option if you are fine to carry a 240 kg naked! bike along with you in the city plus eating all the wind/rain etc while commuting and touring.

z800 is a great looking bike and a super value if it is not 240 kg and if it has an abs.

yes, z800 is also an option if you are fine to carry a 240 kg naked! bike along with you in the city plus eating all the wind/rain etc while commuting and touring.

z800 is a great looking bike and a super value if it is not 240 kg and if it has an abs.

You don't have to carry it- you can ride it...;)

It's a very well-balanced bike- there's an extremely big difference between centrally-located mass on a motorcycle (which makes the extra weight seem to disappear) and the feeling you get when carrying a load or pillion on a lighter bike.

Pushing my 250kg+ bike around in the garage can be a pain- riding it (even in traffic) is a completely different story.

Main use: Odd trips around Bangkok - mainly heavy traffic as I live in central Sukhumvit area - plus extended tours out of the city when I get the chance ... and I have a longer term plan for some extended cross-border touring

This that you stated is what you need to focus on.

If your use is as you state it is a tough one because you threw in the scooter work of around town heavy traffic.

But if you leave that off the other is sounding like some major touring

As such your probably best off focusing your search in that type/area

"touring bike"

Edited by mania

You don't have to carry it- you can ride it...wink.png

It's a very well-balanced bike- there's an extremely big difference between centrally-located mass on a motorcycle (which makes the extra weight seem to disappear) and the feeling you get when carrying a load or pillion on a lighter bike.

Pushing my 250kg+ bike around in the garage can be a pain- riding it (even in traffic) is a completely different story.

you are right about mass centralization. if it is done right, you dont feel the weight once the bike is rolling.

but speaking about bangkok traffic, all those u turns, waiting for stoplights and tip toeing between cars etc, not that easy with a 240 kg bike and sure you feel it.

even your huge full on muscle sport tourer zx14r is 250 kg! - you have a great bike by the way.

Edited by ll2

^

I guess it's about what you're used to- I rode heavy sportbikes (mostly GSX-R1100s) through Tokyo traffic for nearly a decade during my daily commute, and it wasn't a problem.

that is right rsd, i am used to light bikes if possible. you can ride any bike in traffic even 400 kg harley but if it is all about an easier city ride then better we prefer light and thin bikes with abs if possible.

think about the difference between your zx14r and honda grom in traffic.

it will be harder in traffic with my cbr650f at 209 kg as well which i think sometime.

Yep can ride any bike you like in traffic you only need something small if you always rush rush rush to get everywhere,which isn't a good mindset to have on a bike ,and always want to be at the front off traffic lights.

These days I'm pretty chilled in traffic don't mind sitting behind cars ,happy to let the scooters and cyclists zoom on ahead.

Yep can ride any bike you like in traffic you only need something small if you always rush rush rush to get everywhere,which isn't a good mindset to have on a bike ,and always want to be at the front off traffic lights.

These days I'm pretty chilled in traffic don't mind sitting behind cars ,happy to let the scooters and cyclists zoom on ahead.

sorry but dont want to wait behind cars and their exhausts on 45 degrees celcius bangkok asphalt!

i just move on fast.

sorry but dont want to wait behind cars and their exhausts on 45 degrees celcius bangkok asphalt!

i just move on fast.

yeah fair point I only ride in traffic in London,we don't really have the 45 degree heat problem there.

The Benelli 600 is about the same price as a Honda 500 twin but with 75% more power , for those trips out ,smoother 4 cylinder engine , fantastic Italian styling , and better build quality .Consider a scooter for BK such as a Honda PCX /SH or better still , a Sym 300i.

The Benelli 600 is about the same price as a Honda 500 twin but with 75% more power , for those trips out ,smoother 4 cylinder engine , fantastic Italian styling , and better build quality .Consider a scooter for BK such as a Honda PCX /SH or better still , a Sym 300i.

the benelli could be a chinese deathtrap,its not going to be made to japanese or european standards

how safe are you going to feel riding it ? thats why i wouldnt buy one anyway ..........

Better quality? smoother engine? Did you ride one before?

C'mon man.

We talk about real bikes here.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by ll2

I haven't ridden the Benelli but I would agree with posts #27 and #28.

Chinese still have a looooong way to go before they earn the kind of trust Japanese and European, American bikes have.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I doubt Family wants to buy the Benelli. Its not good for the city and not perfect for longer touring.

The Honda 500 series are budget bikes, so is the Benelli 600. And we are talking about a thai made Honda.