Vagrant Children

laolover88

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is obviously the worst country in the world, save your children, save your sanity, there is no blockade at the airport, leave whilst you still can.

Save yourselves, good luck in your escape attempt, and may God have Mercy on your souls.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Don't ever forget that parents are part of the education formula. The problem - parents are a huge part of the formula in this country. It really needs daily attention. In our private school I feel the teachers teach and the students learn but I am totally convinced the students do not remember.

They are seldom tested. In a school system in the USA, students are tested frequently. The test papers must be taken home, signed by the parents, and then returned. That, to me is a great system. Please, do not look in their books at the fill in the blanks sections. These ‘answers' are given by the teacher for the student to fill in.

I am convinced I need to 'home teach' my children that go to even private school. Therefore my #1 concern - and it should be our critical #1 priority - is the material presented in the books up to the grade level as compared to the world. It does no good to work hard as student and parents only to learn to a Grade level less than the ‘standard’ world acceptance. It is critical to compare with other grade levels in other countries.

Finally, I met an 8th grader who had no idea the answer for 75/25 (the answer is 3). He did not even know division. I asked him what he did in math each day. He paused for 20 seconds then said - the teacher teaches, we do not listen, then the teacher gives us the answers for our books, then we move on to the next subject.

• Like 2

This is not unheard of .. usually at uni level.

The parents cant stand to loose face, so they get a kids a uniform and kick them out of the house so on the face of it, they are attending uni.

At Mathayom level, i have kids, not unpleasant, always polite to me, but have never turned up to one lesson in a year, they prefer to play football. Again the system, why not let them study sports or vocational subject instead of forcing English or hours upon hours of Maths down their throats.

• Like 1

"Can someone explain to me why, every school day, from 10.00 am until 17.00 pm at least, in the street, in the Malls, in the Internet shops there are hundreds, and I mean hundreds!, of school children wandering around in school uniforms?" Because, if they are going to school or not the result should be the same (incompetence of the teachers), and the parents are not interested, some are going to school because it's compulsory. A provisor told me, he try everyday to confiscate the motorbikes students' key during the school time, hard work.

My step-son was supposed to be going to tech college.

He took the money that I gave him everyday to gamble, playing snooker.

The college did not contact us to ask why he was not attending.

We only found out when he lost 2,000 Baht and they kept his Mother's motorbike until we repaid the debt.

He promised that he wouldn't do it again, but I kept a record of the mileage on the motorbike and guess what, just enough to get to and from the snooker place, but not enough to get to college and back.

I then refused to finance his "education" and told him to get a job.

The schools don't seem to care whether the students attend or not.

thumbsup.gif or more specifically, they care only about the education subsidy for each head

that their "rollcalls" portray (where applicable).

• Like 1

"Can someone explain to me why, every school day, from 10.00 am until 17.00 pm at least, in the street, in the Malls, in the Internet shops there are hundreds, and I mean hundreds!, of school children wandering around in school uniforms?" Because, if they are going to school or not the result should be the same (incompetence of the teachers), and the parents are not interested, some are going to school because it's compulsory. A provisor told me, he try everyday to confiscate the motorbikes students' key during the school time, hard work.

Wow! Definitely a tip o' the hat to that man.

I lived on a street that was right in between 3 of the main private schools in town. At about 7AM, all the students were busy getting to school to sign in. About 10 or so, some students would be out eating snacks, etc. The schools just don't stop them and they would rather eat snacks and play online, so they do.

Most of the teachers don't care, as teaching is not their main source of income. Basically, not many people at Thai schools are actively involved in anything you would recognize as education. Unfortunately, I am speaking from experience. The school kids out during the day used to puzzle me. After some time in the system, I am not surprised by them anymore.

Edited by dao16
  • Like 1

No need for school in Thailand.

Diploma is given and when a student finish high school, he/she can work at 7/11 for 10.000 a month all their life.

We all have seen a bright the workers at 7/11 are, 1+1=3

No future what so ever. College/university is not for their class.

Others become cops, therefore no work, just tea money collections.

Thailand's whole system encourages to NOT go to school. It is a waste of time.

... an preferably only for the rich, so the poor people can stay ignorant and poor.

Don't they need a bachelors degree to work at 7-11?

Tesco told my wife they could not hire her for any job since she did not have a degree.

• Like 1

Don't ever forget that parents are part of the education formula. The problem - parents are a huge part of the formula in this country. It really needs daily attention. In our private school I feel the teachers teach and the students learn but I am totally convinced the students do not remember.

They are seldom tested. In a school system in the USA, students are tested frequently. The test papers must be taken home, signed by the parents, and then returned. That, to me is a great system. Please, do not look in their books at the fill in the blanks sections. These ‘answers' are given by the teacher for the student to fill in.

I am convinced I need to 'home teach' my children that go to even private school. Therefore my #1 concern - and it should be our critical #1 priority - is the material presented in the books up to the grade level as compared to the world. It does no good to work hard as student and parents only to learn to a Grade level less than the ‘standard’ world acceptance. It is critical to compare with other grade levels in other countries.

Finally, I met an 8th grader who had no idea the answer for 75/25 (the answer is 3). He did not even know division. I asked him what he did in math each day. He paused for 20 seconds then said - the teacher teaches, we do not listen, then the teacher gives us the answers for our books, then we move on to the next subject.

I understand your post and worries but, in the end you are the one putting your kids here to school.. for myself I would not stay here in case I would get kids but would move to a place where in my opinion the schoolsystems are better for the benefit of my childeren.

• Like 1

I think truant is a better word for the OP than vagrant.

At my school, the failing and excessively absent students are allowed to pay 1200 baht per subject to attend a two-week crash course in the subjects they failed, after the end of the term. For two weeks they get to show up for 90 minutes a day and copy each other's worksheets and get an easy passing mark of 1.0 GPA. If they can do that, why bother attending the whole term? I suspect the school loves this because they make more money and don't have to pay teachers extra for teaching the make-up classes.

Edited by attrayant
  • Like 2

Absolutely, I can see not caring about your SOs spawn if they're not your own, but if you've got your own and you care about them, once they get to 6-7 y.o. it is IMO completely irresponsible to remain in the Kingdom, unless you've saved (or you're currently generating) the millions required to get them a decent education at < dozen good schools here.

Where they're very closely supervised, and if gone missing from campus would definitely result in calls home and disciplinary action.

I think truant is a better word for the OP than vagrant.

At my school, the failing and excessively absent students are allowed to pay 1200 baht per subject to attend a two-week crash course in the subjects they failed, after the end of the term. For two weeks they get to show up for 90 minutes a day and copy each other's worksheets and get an easy passing mark of 1.0 GPA. If they can do that, why bother attending the whole term? I suspect the school loves this because they make more money and don't have to pay teachers extra for teaching the make-up classes.

Doesn't surprise me. It's pretty much "common" all over our beloved country Thailand..- thumbsup.gif

CharlieH, on 07 Mar 2014 - 12:47, said:

Often on guided trips from other areas.Some kind of excursion from there school, not uncommon.

I wish it was that Charlie.

Unfortunately not.

There is no supervision in Thai schools.

Kids go out, and wander around at will.

Yes internet shops are full of them during school hours.

Yes the are wandering around smoking.

There is no system or will, especially in public schools to contain them.

And again why should they worry about school?

At the end of each academic year their results will be fixed to advance to the next class.

And what happens at the end?

These kids come out of school and still are as thick as a plunk of wood.

I am certain that cutting class is easy. It sure is in many schools in the USA. Then again you do not have a clue what these kids' itineraries are. For all you know they go half a day and then have work study later in the afternoon for example. By and large your post is sheer speculation. And "thick as a plunk of wood" is merely how you wish to assess the people. Nothing in the world they could do would change your ignorant mind set- but it is "thick as a plunk of wood." Edited by techboy

This is not meant as a Thai bashing Issue!! I really want to know. Definitely not 'school trips'!!!! Well not those that start on a bus!

You must be severely retarded if you cant figure that one out for yourself... And I am not Thai bashing... just pointing out the facts

Edited by thhMan

I wish you all would put in what area/school district you each were talking about. My gf went about insane when her daughter skipped a class. I'm up in Korat.

Just a note about the daughter; not super-smart, but a darn hard worker when it comes to school work. Same seems to be true with the rest of the gf's family. Just my hand on the camel, but what I see are people that work every day and kids that want to learn. (Even if it isn't the same as the western 'ideals')