Hearing Aids

uptheos

Since my last post, I determined that the Seimens IIC (Invisible In Canal) 3mi was not suitable for my needs. The bottom line for me is to be as satisfied as possible with the knowledge that the investment is an overall good one, I'm not saying the model isn't good, I'm sure it is. But it wasn't working out for me. It's good if the only thing you want to do is have a personal conversation with someone. It's impressive that it can fit so deeply in the canal that it can't be seen by anyone unless they get up close with a flashlight. Apparently, some people choose this model for vanity reasons, they don't want anyone to know they're wearing hearing aids. The ICC 7mi is more powerful, but not by much. The main problem is that they're so small that there's no room for any additional circuitry. As for me, I don't really give a rip if anyone can see I'm wearing HA's or not. It's to help improve my hearing, not theirs.

After more discussion with the audiologist, the conclusion was to try out a pair of ITC half shell 7mi. It has a lot more options and the 7mi is the top tier of the Micon technology. The vent tube is larger enabling exterior sounds to enter the ear better. I didn't pick out all the options available for it, but there are a good number of extras for it. I didn't choose a remote control device just because it would mean something else that needs batteries and would just be something extra I'd have to carry around. The device also has two microphones on each side. One mic is directional to pick up specific sounds like talking with someone, and the other is omni-directional which picks up other external sounds. Sounds are directed by the natural shape of the outer part of the ear, just like normal. The IIC model has a single directional mic to pick up sounds. The IIC model tends to filter out background noises. You can hear background noises, but it's mostly just noise. In addition, the frequency range for the IIC is pretty limited, so most sounds you hear sound canned and tinny, like a being in a tunnel.

The frequency range is much wider than the IIC model, meaning that I can hear more sounds more clearly because of a larger number of channels. The ITC half shell 7mi allows a wider range of conditions, I can better hear music and sounds while driving much better, which is something the IIC model is not rated to do.

The ITC model each has a button and a dial to adjust for different programs (of the device) and volume. What I find interesting is that you only need to do one side. It doesn't matter if you do it to the left ear or the right ear. It sends a signal to the other side to automatically adjust for the changes.

Since I've only had them a couple of days, I'm still learning to get them in my ears correctly. If I don't have them in properly, the emit a feedback squeal if I cover my ears with my hands. The pull 'string' to take them out with is pretty short and hard to find with my fingers, It's going to take some time to get the knack of doing these things. Like the IIC model, I have a 30 day trial period to determine if this model is going to be suitable or not. I'm a lot more optimistic with this ITC 7mi model, especially in comparison to the IIC 3mi model. I'll be seeing the audiologist each week in the meantime to make any fine tuning adjustments that may be needed. I'm taking notes as to any pros and cons I experience with them. So far, they seem to be comfortable and provide much better hearing than I expected. They do seem to be rather loud and I'm hearing some loud clicks occasionally. I'll keep you posted on how things are turning out.

AmeriThai,

I wish you the best of luck with your hearing aids. However, your post exhibits many of the fallacies found in such discussions:

1. more channels improves your hearing: most research does not support this belief. How could there be, since your audiogram only measures your hearing loss at 7 or so frequency points? That means there is no information available to boost the signal in the many other channels your HAs provide.

Experimental data confirms this observation. Here is a graph of the "Audibility quantified by improvement in Articulation Index as a function of the number for gain and compression channels. Each curve represents data from individual audiograms:"

clark-fig1.gif

In the study results depicted there is no additional improvement in speech recognition beyond 5 channels.

http://www.audiologyonline.com/ask-the-experts/what-optimum-number-hearing-aid-466

2. I notice that your evaluation of your HAs, like virtually every other subjective evaluation I have encountered of HAs on the internet, does not mention any improvement in speech recognition. Since speech recognition is the purpose of HAs, (which we know because HAs only cover the frequency range of speech, not music), aids that fail to provide an improvement in understanding speech are simply not better.

So, I think you are fooling yourself. There have been many experiments asking wine enthusiasts to evaluate wine in blind taste tests from which we know that they cannot distinguish expensive wine from cheap wine, in general. Nevertheless, when they know the price of the wine they always report enjoying the expensive wine more. This is the reason that unlike the price of all other electronic devices, the price of hearing aids has been increasing in the last ten years as the boomers age into the crosshairs of the hearing aid industry.

What I expect is the case is that you understand speech a lot better with your new HAs compared to without them, but not better than a much cheaper pair.

Thank you for your comments. All I can tell you is that what I hear with the ITC 7mi is much better than what I heard with the IIC 3mi. It's not just about listening to and understanding speech, it's also hearing music more smoothly and clearly. It is close to perfect? Probably not, but so far, it seems to be quite good. I'm impressed with them. I'll have a much better opinion about them in time. At a guess, pricewise, these are just about at the limit of what I'm willing to pay for. I have to disagree with your last sentence. In this case, yes, it is much better than the cheaper pair. I could hear and understand speech with the IIC 3mi set, and they were tweaked pretty much to the limit. I don't understand exactly what's involved, but the high frequencies could be increased with them, but it meant sacrificing some of the low frequencies, In addition, the IICs are so small that there isn't really any room to add more circuitry to them. They are limited to what they can do in terms of balancing the highs and lows. Somehow I didn't seem that satisfying to listen to sounds, whether speech or otherwise, that resembled hearing chalk screech across a blackboard. But I presume there are people who don't mind that.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

Hi, I've been using hearing aids for almost half of my life (I'm 63 now) and I could hardly function without them. The doctors have said that I have nerve deafness. I totally agree with what the other guys have shared with you. I have used various brands over the years including Siemens, Starkey, and a Danish brand (that I cannot remember at the moment) and I've paid around 1600-2000 US$ for each one since I wanted to have close to the best technology each time and I wanted in-the-canal HA's which are always much more costly. My greatest sadness is due to the fact that I play the piano (by ear, no less!) and always loved to sing in choirs - well, those days have been over since I have the HA's although I still play piano when I'm alone just for old time sake. They have yet to develop the technology (to my knowledge) that can handle such musical situations....I am now retired here in Thailand but before that I spent a number of years working here and visiting here. My life partner is Thai. I have used the audiologist (Khun Nid) at Bungrungrad Hospital in Bangkok for many years and have been very happy with their audiology service and kindness to me over the years....Finally, the HA's will improve the quality of your life and as one brother has said, you will hear the birds singing again!! Go for it!

Very helpful ! thanks !

to the men who were hearing impaired BEFORE they met their Thai female partner: Was it hard to communicate, let them know you needed to avoid loud places, educate them about ear plugs, hyperacusis, recruitment, tinnitus, hearing loss, hearing aids, etc., etc. How did being hearing impaired/sound sensitive affect your dating, social, personal life ? thanks ! dave

I've been wearing an aid for about 10 years and have a profound hearing loss. Only in one ear as the other ear is about dead. Overall it sucks big time but I'm deaf without.

My aids are provided by the US Veterans Admin so I'm very lucky in that respect.

I have 3 right ear aids worn behind the ear and prefer the Bernafon for the sound quality but here in Thailand, sweating is a problem. They are not very water resistant and so every few months I have to send them in to be fixed because the sweat has rusted the internals. Sometimes I remember to switch to the Phonak brand aid when I expect to be sweating as it is unaffected (so far) from sweat.

I mention this because if you're shopping for hearing aids you may want to take that into consideration.

• 3 months later...

I've been wearing an aid for about 10 years and have a profound hearing loss. Only in one ear as the other ear is about dead. Overall it sucks big time but I'm deaf without.

My aids are provided by the US Veterans Admin so I'm very lucky in that respect.

I have 3 right ear aids worn behind the ear and prefer the Bernafon for the sound quality but here in Thailand, sweating is a problem. They are not very water resistant and so every few months I have to send them in to be fixed because the sweat has rusted the internals. Sometimes I remember to switch to the Phonak brand aid when I expect to be sweating as it is unaffected (so far) from sweat.

I mention this because if you're shopping for hearing aids you may want to take that into consideration.

How do you find the Phonak HA and what was the model and what cost. I am going to have to replace my hearing aids (Widex basic 50,000 baht the pair). They are just not powerful enough now.. The first one I had were Widex (2800 Pounds the pair in 1999) which my company paid for. Since retireing here my next ones were much more basic. So I am now having to replace them but I wont to make sure I buy the right ones. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

PS I used to know a girl years ago who sold HA, she gave up after a few months as the lying was too much for her. One of the reasons I am trying to get as much info as possible.

I have Phonak Naida S V CRT 1x Hearing Aids. I didn't pay for them but believe to cost about 1200 dollars. I saw a similar pair on eBay for 450. The eBay ones shown below have standard inserts but I need the molded type because my loss is so great. Bluetooth connectivity is nice to have. AIDS are absolutely essential to me.

post-233984-1454218150304_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had occasion to do business with both Eartone and Audimed in Bangkok over the past 15 or so years.  I bought Phonak through Eartone and Oticon through Audimed.  I have severe hearing loss and basically can't carry on a conversation without my hearing aids.   Comparing Eartone and Audimed (just facilities and staff), I'd have to give a thumbs up to Audimed.  The audiologist there seemed very competent and was able to answer a multitude of questions about my hearing and my purchase.  I recently purchased a pair of Oticon OPN, which is the latest offering from Oticon.  Whereas my previous upgrades only moderately improved my hearing, I have to say the OPNs are a major improvement from my older set of Oticon Alta Pro.  Expensive, yes.  But well worth the expense in my situation.  

• 11 months later...

Sorry, I can't provide any more updated info than what I posted above.......other than to say, my Oticon OPNs are worth the money.   From my experience (in canal hearing aids x 2, and behind the ear x 2) you can expect to spend 30000-130000 per ear.

This is one of the most helpful topics i've come across in TVF i don't  personally have a hearing aid yet, but do realise i need them, having fairly severe Tinnitus through working life in engineering (sheetmetal) in the days before health and safety kicked in thankfully, also age related hearing loss the price is a bit daunting i must admit though!

Just like to say a big thank you to all who contributed to this topic, very helpful indeed! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my name is Ashley

In the western world, being the USA, UK and the rest of Europe if someone has a hearing problem they use a hearing aid, then every shop, bank, hotel, train station etc will have what's called a hearing loop fitted to the main desk of interactions with customers.

A hearing loop being the device that amplifies a staff members voice for a customer that uses a hearing aid.

The Customer can change the settings on their hearing aid so that it picks up the staff members voice behind the counter.

My questions is this

Do you know of anywhere in Bangkok or Thailand, ie Airports, hotels, schools provide hearing loops for people with hearing aids?

• 3 months later...
On 3/8/2014 at 11:54 PM, pennine said:

If it's not too far off the main topic, I would like to ask where can I get batteries for my in the canal hearing aid in Samui? The battery description number is "312". Boots in Chaweng is the only place I've found them, but.   they are mostly out of stock.

You can get them on Lazada.  Be careful though as I have received varying degrees of quality  Right now I'm using Duracell Activair 312 from Lazada.   

On 4/28/2014 at 3:51 PM, kokesaat said:

I read an article in the New York Times a few days ago about GN ReSound hearing aids.....made by the Dutch (I think). That's what I'd love to have....but figure it'll be a few years before the prices come down to a reasonable level

I've been using Resound hearing aids and the tv amplifier for some time.  I got them in California when I was working but cannot remember exactly when.  I had to send them back about a year ago and they fixed them but since I got them back my TV amplifier quit working......big bummer as wife isn't deaf........anyway, they were quite expensive, over $6,800 including the tv amplifier which was a god-send until it quit working.  New amplifiers can be had on Ebay.....also some hearing aids but I was just looking for the amplifier so don't remember too much.......look it up, it will be worth it.  Prices on E-bay were all over the place so be careful.

At any rate I've quit using the hearing aids because they don't seem to be working correctly.......last week off of Amazon I bought a digital amplifier called Concerto......but it is just an amplifier which again doens't help much with actual hearing loss.  Fairly expensive too, around $270 if I remember correctly.  Pretty cool though, about an inch by 3/8 square with four audio settings.

I didn't realize there were so many hearing aid vendors ......I'm going to check tomorrow to see if the Hua Hin Bangkok Hospital has any audio help available.

I've been using Resound hearing aids and the tv amplifier for some time.  I got them in California when I was working but cannot remember exactly when.  I had to send them back about a year ago and they fixed them but since I got them back my TV amplifier quit working......big bummer as wife isn't deaf........anyway, they were quite expensive, over $6,800 including the tv amplifier which was a god-send until it quit working.  New amplifiers can be had on Ebay.....also some hearing aids but I was just looking for the amplifier so don't remember too much.......look it up, it will be worth it.  Prices on E-bay were all over the place so be careful.

At any rate I've quit using the hearing aids because they don't seem to be working correctly.......last week off of Amazon I bought a digital amplifier called Concerto......but it is just an amplifier which again doens't help much with actual hearing loss.  Fairly expensive too, around $270 if I remember correctly.  Pretty cool though, about an inch by 3/8 square with four audio settings.

I didn't realize there were so many hearing aid vendors ......I'm going to check tomorrow to see if the Hua Hin Bangkok Hospital has any audio help available.

Yeah, if you have decent gear, it would be worth a visit to get them straightened out.

I am totally deaf in one ear and have 65% hearing in the good year. I purchased a Beltone hearing aid at Eartone hearing aid shop on soi 22 off Sukhumvit. I am very pleased with their services. I have also dealt with Audimed which sells different brands and found them to be highly confident. They are located in the Chatuchak area near the mo chit station. Very happy with their services.

I also purchased a phonak which has a tv bluetooth technology. The TV sends the audio signal directly into my hearing aid which works great while watching TV. The phonak i purchased from Costco, there audioligists don't work on commission. I believe i paid around $ 1500.00 at Costco in the US plus the cost of the tv transmitter. Hope this helps 

Archived