Ship bursts into flames off Phuket

webfact

Breaking News: Ship bursts into flames off Phuket
Phuket Gazette

1_201437163926582_KMNaKiXOQBqyoklRnGKmiT
First reports say all on board were safely rescued. Photo: Marine Police

PHUKET: -- A ship carrying cargo was engulfed by flames near Koh Naka, off Phuket's east coast this afternoon.

Phuket Marine Police were notified of the incident at about 4pm by a speedboat captain.

First reports are that all on board the ship were safely rescued by the passing speedboat.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Breaking-News-Ship-bursts-into-flames-off-Phuket-27777.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-03-07

Cargo boat on fire off Phuket
Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A medium-sized inshore cargo boat, the MV Tanakon, is blazing fiercely to the east of Ao Po, between Koh Naka Yai and Koh Yao Yai.

Marine Police said they received a report at 4pm from a speedboat that a "cargo boat" was on fire near the island, and they had sent fast patrol boat No 814 to see what could be done to help those on board.

Witnesses reported they could see a pall of black smoke climbing straight into the sky.

One reported that she had seen people in the water clinging to chunks of plastic foam. So far there is no confirmation of this, and it is not known how many people were on board at the time.

The Tanakon is described as a privately owned 23.5-metre inshore cargo boat with twin diesel engines, used to carry goods between Ranong and Satun.

Registered in Phuket, it is owned by a Mr Dalan Paekamon and has a crew of five. The captain is Sompong Maigaeo.

The boat was carrying cars and motorcycles from the pier on Koh Yao to Bang Rong Pier when it caught fire. Because of its wooden construction, the two-deck vessel was swiftly engulfed by flames.

The crew jumped overboard and were all picked up safely by a passing boat.

Additional reporting by Suthicha Sirirat.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/cargo-boat-on-fire-off-phuket-video-45012.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-03-07

"The boat was carrying cars and motorcycles from the pier on Koh Yao to Bang Rong Pier when it caught fire."

After weeks of careful investigation, the highly trained Marine Forensic Police, will determine the fire was started by a Chevy Spark.

• Like 2

Someone fresh me up , what chemicals used in drug production have the charasteristic to make spontanues fires if not stored properly

MEK, acetone, toluene for starters.

Edited by Shot
  • Like 1

Someone fresh me up , what chemicals used in drug production have the charasteristic to make spontanues fires if not stored properly

MEK, acetone, toluene for starters.

It was also carrying cars, which might just also happen to contain a certain highly combustible material......smiley-angry021_zps96a68469.gif

Edited by tebee

Darn. I missed this one fully. After I read the news I went to see if I could see something from the Ao Por pier.. nothing.

Does anyone know where exactly did this happen? The Phuketnews map shows that it was in the front of Supalai hotel. In that case it would have been just a few degrees from the view from my home.

By looking at the pictures I guess it's safe to assume that the ship shunk.

Now I'm a bit puzzled how they could load cars to the boats from the Bang Rong pier. Motorbikes/scooters are easily carried to the boats, but how they could deal with the cars?

Edited by Guest

<snip>

Now I'm a bit puzzled how they could load cars to the boats from the Bang Rong pier. Motorbikes/scooters are easily carried to the boats, but how they could deal with the cars?

I noticed that 2 of the piers on the south/west of the island had simple ramps that could be raised lowered onto the foredeck of a small ship. As for the Bang Rong end, assume they use a mobile crane.

• 3 weeks later...