Inexpensive original ideas for family days out in Bangkok?

BKK Blues Brother

Don't you think war crime tourism is distasteful? The bridge was built by slave labour and killed over 100,000 people but now it's a commercial operation with double pricing for farangs. I can't see the attraction at all.

I don't disagree with your opinion. It is yours, and valid. But my opinion is that any visitors that get as close as Bangkok and miss a visit to Kanchanaburi are cheating themselves.

I stand in awe at the thousands of meticulously maintained graves in the 2 big Allied cemeteries. I honestly shed more than one tear when I read the headstones with messages from loved ones that will never see them again. For me, it is truly a moving experience.

IMO, the place is accorded the proper reverence by most visitors (with a few exceptions) and there is no glorification of any war criminals. And I have actually seen the Thai caretaker of one of the cemeteries scold some visitors who spread out a picnic lunch and started throwing a Frisbee.

As for war crime tourism, people travel the world to see Normandy, Midway Island, Gettysburg, and hundreds of other battlefields. K-buri isn't much different.

I have seen no double pricing- the train is 120 baht for tourists and Thais alike. Maybe there is some in town, but I've never felt overcharged for anything. And there is a lot to do in and around K-Buri even if you're not a WW2 history buff- boat rides, impressive temples, mountains to climb, trails to walk, bicycling, good eats, and on and on.

My one negative observation is the poor state of the Japanese Memorial in town. I know the economy is tough in Japan, but they can -and should- do better.

It's different if you're genuinely going there for education and to pay your respects.

I've heard the train is 20 baht for the early train and free for the later one for Thai people. Are you sure they pay 120 baht?

Edited by edwardandtubs

It has been mentioned before on TV, but I will also like to recommend the Bangkok Seaview restaurant. You have to catch a long tailed boat which takes you through mangrove swamps and eventually out to a a wooden/bamboo building perched in the middle of the sea. Once there you sit on the floor on mats and enjoy the views and fantastic seafood. We have taken both visiting family and visiting friends there and everyone has enjoyed it. Google the name and you will find their website with lots of information etc.

• Like 1

It has been mentioned before on TV, but I will also like to recommend the Bangkok Seaview restaurant. You have to catch a long tailed boat which takes you through mangrove swamps and eventually out to a a wooden/bamboo building perched in the middle of the sea. Once there you sit on the floor on mats and enjoy the views and fantastic seafood. We have taken both visiting family and visiting friends there and everyone has enjoyed it. Google the name and you will find their website with lots of information etc.

nice place, have been there, I assume you mean seaside in Bang Kon Tien?

Now,

an alternative (to car) way to get there.

In BKK, West bank of Chao Praya, Thannon Suksawat,

maybe 2 km before the road ends in the Navy Installation at the sea

there is a small village/community

There is a bridge there over Klong SaphaSamit, (which runs straight East-West

between Chaoi Praya and Mae Naam Ta Chin)

There is a road running along the klong on its Northern bank

a few hundred meters into that road there is a relatively large klong side

restaurant.

They have a boat that will take you along klong SaphaSamit to Bang Kon Tien,

where you can switch to the longtail mentioned above and enjoy the seaside rest.

• Like 1

Just catch it from Hualumphong station

If you're referring to the train from Wong Wian Yai there's no physical connection to Hua Lumphong.

The railway used to go to the river but that was ripped up many years ago (and incidentally was Thailand's first electric railway).

• Like 2

I've heard the train is 20 baht for the early train and free for the later one for Thai people. Are you sure they pay 120 baht?

There is only one tourist train that goes round trip to the end of the line, and it leaves at 06:30. I've paid $4 round trip for non-air conditioned, hard seats. It's a special tourist route designed for a day trip, available on weekends only. There are other A/C soft seats that probably cost more, but I've never seen anyone but Thai VIPs taking those seats- never even tried to book one myself. Maybe the VIPs ride for free. But the Thais riding in the cheap seats seem to pay 120 baht. For my $4, I don't really mind either way.

There are other trains during the day- including week days- that go to Kanchanaburi and I suspect they probably charge less (one way) than the tourist train, but it's hard to imagine making a day of it since they go to Kanchanaburi and leave at hours that aren't conducive to a day's outing.

• Like 1

Don't you think war crime tourism is distasteful? The bridge was built by slave labour and killed over 100,000 people but now it's a commercial operation with double pricing for farangs. I can't see the attraction at all.

I don't disagree with your opinion. It is yours, and valid. But my opinion is that any visitors that get as close as Bangkok and miss a visit to Kanchanaburi are cheating themselves.

I stand in awe at the thousands of meticulously maintained graves in the 2 big Allied cemeteries. I honestly shed more than one tear when I read the headstones with messages from loved ones that will never see them again. For me, it is truly a moving experience.

IMO, the place is accorded the proper reverence by most visitors (with a few exceptions) and there is no glorification of any war criminals. And I have actually seen the Thai caretaker of one of the cemeteries scold some visitors who spread out a picnic lunch and started throwing a Frisbee.

As for war crime tourism, people travel the world to see Normandy, Midway Island, Gettysburg, and hundreds of other battlefields. K-buri isn't much different.

I have seen no double pricing- the train is 120 baht for tourists and Thais alike. Maybe there is some in town, but I've never felt overcharged for anything. And there is a lot to do in and around K-Buri even if you're not a WW2 history buff- boat rides, impressive temples, mountains to climb, trails to walk, bicycling, good eats, and on and on.

My one negative observation is the poor state of the Japanese Memorial in town. I know the economy is tough in Japan, but they can -and should- do better.

"proper reverence"? Try visiting early morning before staff have arrived. You see a lot of idiots taking selfies, stomping around on the graves etc. I will leave it to your imagination as to nationality.

If you're referring to the train from Wong Wian Yai there's no physical connection to Hua Lumphong.

The railway used to go to the river but that was ripped up many years ago (and incidentally was Thailand's first electric railway).

that's what I was thinking. If there was an SRT connection directly to Wong Wian Yai, we would have known about it as we stay near Isara Pap when we are there.

So from Hualumphong, how would you get there (wong wien yai SRT)? Seems pretty far, but maybe there is some frequent public bus that goes nearby?

• Like 1

Isn't there a big lake maintained by the BMA where you can rent sail boats and go fishing quite cheaply? Been meaning to look it up myself.

I met a guy a couple of years back that pointed me to a big "Watersports Park" behind Seacon Square Mall. He said they actually had an annual membership (reasonable, too) to join and use of the sailboats was included.

When I actually visited the place he referred me to, there was a very nice, fairly large lake (Nong Bon Reservoir). But no boats allowed and no fishing allowed when I arrived, in spite of the boatyard right on premises, and pictures on Google Earth showing kayaks and sailboats. Maybe boating is available now? But I was sorely disappointed two years ago- could see fish swarming, but the guards wouldn't allow me to fish even from the shore....

If you do happen to find a place that rents sailboats in or near BKK, I'd love to hear about it.

• Like 1

that's what I was thinking. If there was an SRT connection directly to Wong Wian Yai, we would have known about it as we stay near Isara Pap when we are there.

So from Hualumphong, how would you get there (wong wien yai SRT)? Seems pretty far, but maybe there is some frequent public bus that goes nearby?

If you are at Hualamphong and want to go by public transport.

underground to Sukhumvit station

skytrain from Asok station to Wong Wian Yai station

then walk 5/6/7 minutes

+1 melvinmelvin.

Could take a m/c between the two WWY stations if you don't fancy the walk.

Just the first part of the trip (to Samut Sakhon) is worth the train ride, loads of fresh food on the markets and some pleasant lunch venues near the ferry terminal (assuming you like fish of course).

If you are at Hualamphong and want to go by public transport.

underground to Sukhumvit station

skytrain from Asok station to Wong Wian Yai station

then walk 5/6/7 minutes

Easier to exit the MRT at Silom (just 2 stops) and take BTS (Sala Daeng is the intersection) to Wong Wian Yai?

If you go all the way to Sukhumvit, you need to take the BTS to Siam, exit there and hop on the other line to Wong Wian Yai- at least half an hour longer.

Edited by impulse