Boxes of red wine - where?

There seems to be a shortage of red wine - sold in boxes (5 or 3 litres). I cannot find any in the 3 major outlets at Chaweng on the ring road. or at the usual suspects on the NE of Samui (Plai Laem/Bangrak.)

Has anyone out there seen any please?

I read somewhere this morning (Chang Mai forum or some where?) that Wine prices where going to double....w00t.gif .... . so perhaps some hoarding taking place..sad.png ????

Yes, pricing of boxed wine will go up to double !!! All to do with size (contents) of boxes sold....i.e. a 10 lit. box will increase more than a 3 lit box.

I read somewhere this morning (Chang Mai forum or some where?) that Wine prices where going to double....w00t.gif .... . so perhaps some hoarding taking place..sad.png ????

Yes, pricing of boxed wine will go up to double !!! All to do with size (contents) of boxes sold....i.e. a 10 lit. box will increase more than a 3 lit box.

Bodegas Chilean 3L wine has already nearly doubled from around 750 to about 1200 ? Is this a new tax or one that has already taken place ? any links ?

If they double again the boxes will be more expensive than buying bottles blink.png

thanks

Brought our own boxes of zinfandel redwine on this vacation but is about to run out, so this thread could be useful :-) do they have some redwines in box on the island that is similar to some ok valpollicellas? Taste wise im into some of the more rich flavoured wines. Think amarone, barolo, chateau neuf du pape but just trying to find something in a box that is not tasting like coloured water ;-)

Brought our own boxes of zinfandel redwine on this vacation but is about to run out, so this thread could be useful :-) do they have some redwines in box on the island that is similar to some ok valpollicellas? Taste wise im into some of the more rich flavoured wines. Think amarone, barolo, chateau neuf du pape but just trying to find something in a box that is not tasting like coloured water ;-)

I buy Mar y Sol 5L , Chilean Red , 770 baht from Samui Mart the best of the wine boxes imo at around that price , I don't like any of the Australian or US wines around that price and Mont Clair bah.gif

Mar y Sol is no Chilean but, if you read the label, produced and bottled in Thailand (fruit wine)

perhaps that why it is so cheap ... but it tastes OK smile.png

I expect it is called fruit wine to get around some tax ?

and better than the Australian boxed wines Cedar Creek and Jimberoo , for around the same price .. , that are I believe , boxed in Australia ?

and Mont Clair is fruit wine ! it does not taste like wine at all ...

Wine Connection used to have have some boxed wines which are OK but over 1000 Baht

Yes, there's a tax investigation into the red wines boxes.

They are imported as fruit juice and fermented in Thailand to avoid the import taxes.

Any confirmation on Samui Mart?

an investigation , So nothing decided yet ..

Samui Mart , the warehouse at the back , just had a delivery of Mar Y Sol last week so I expect they still have stock..If not that they have others

I will check with them the next time I am there to see if they have any updates on proposed taxes ..

Edited by churchill

Yes, there's a tax investigation into the red wines boxes.

They are imported as fruit juice and fermented in Thailand to avoid the import taxes.

Any confirmation on Samui Mart?

Somebody instead say they import the powder...

JUST ADD WATER!

I expect it is called fruit wine to get around some tax ?

Of course whistling.gif

So what is your point ? That it is in fact real wine but labelled as fruit

or

angiud, on 08 Mar 2014 - 13:02, said:snapback.png

Mar y Sol is no Chilean but, if you read the label, produced and bottled in Thailand (fruit wine)

That it is not real Chilean wine and a concoction of unknowns ?

Real wine or fruit wine , fruit wine or real wine .... the choice is yours blink.pngwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

It's not so clear. The label clearly says Fruit wine, Produced and bottled in Thailand.

Of course the content is different.

I use both now for my restaurants as house wine. The good kind (Corbett Canyon, Franzia etc. usually from Chile, Argentina, Italy or USA) are missing a couple of months already.

Mar y Sol. Please read the label. Is made in Thailand, not made in Chile, just a Spanish name...

Said that, if inside Monclair, Mar y Sol and a couple more Thai 'brands', there is completely wine, powdered wine or a concoction of fruit alcohol and wine, I cannot know.

CHEERS

drunk.gif

They all had heaps 2 days ago.blink.png

Plenty of white wine boxes around Rooo - I just can't find any OK red wine boxes. I am not counting the few (6?) red wine boxes in Makro today at 1,600 baht for 3 litres of Chilean wine. That is not good value.

Tesco - none. Big C none. P & P minimart Bangrak - none.

By the way - I do not drink wine - it's for 'she who must be obeyed!' Just trying to keep the wifey happy and still have money left in the bank.

• Like 1

Thank you to eveyone that posted - some interesting info here.thumbsup.gif

Wifey's fave was the Bodegas red. Not seen for a while now.sad.png

Not doubting your thoughts SamuiCoconut 'Yes, pricing of boxed wine will go up to double !!! All to do with size (contents) of boxes sold....i.e. a 10 lit. box will increase more than a 3 lit box.' but this does not seem to match the beer pricing.

Cases of 12 large bottles of beer are much cheaper than cases of 24 small bottles. The logic here defeats me.facepalm.gif TIT?

It's not so clear. The label clearly says Fruit wine, Produced and bottled in Thailand.

I use both now for my restaurants as house wine. The good kind (Corbett Canyon, Franzia etc. usually from Chile, Argentina, Italy or USA) are missing a couple of months already.

Mar y Sol. Please read the label. Is made in Thailand, not made in Chile, just a Spanish name...

Said that, if inside Monclair, Mar y Sol and a couple more Thai 'brands', there is completely wine, powdered wine or a concoction of fruit alcohol and wine, I cannot know.

CHEERS

drunk.gif

Imported into Thailand in large "bladders/tanks" as the basic grape juice, then fermented and bottled/boxed in Thailand, thereby getting round the alcohol tax problem.

• Like 1

CHEERS

drunk.gif

Imported into Thailand in large "bladders/tanks" as the basic grape juice, then fermented and bottled/boxed in Thailand, thereby getting round the alcohol tax problem.

and exporting wine in bulk is not uncommon.. I seem to remember a scandal , last century ! blink.png where wines from France were imported to the UK in bulk from Beaune /Bordeaux - bottled and relabeled , and although very nice wine they didn't relabel totally correctly

CHEERS

drunk.gif

and exporting wine in bulk is not uncommon.. I seem to remember a scandal , last century ! blink.png where wines from France were imported to the UK in bulk from Beaune /Bordeaux - bottled and relabeled , and although very nice wine they didn't relabel totally correctly

Quite right, the exporting of bulk wine was and is very common indeed.

On the subject of France, wine from Algeria and Italy was imported in bulk into France to be mixed with French wines to give them "backbone" during poor vintages, although the French flatly denied this happened, unfortunately it is fact.

And it was not so long ago that the French farmers blockaded some major roads in another one of their protests, and although the French NEVER imported wine according to them, several tanker loads of bulk wine from Italy were held up – – I wonder where it was going?

On a less devious note, wine is imported in bulk to the UK from Chile, Australia, South Africa, Argentina and New Zealand and bottled in one of the bottling plants there. Companies like Tesco do this for their own brand wines.

It is estimated that global bulk wine exports equate to around around 1.24 billion litres per annum.

PS. The long established wine merchant in the UK, Berry Brothers and Rudd, used to have their own label wines and some wine was shipped to, and bottled in the UK, however I THINK that some was also done on their behalf in France by producers under contract.

PS. The long established wine merchant in the UK, Berry Brothers and Rudd, used to have their own label wines and some wine was shipped to, and bottled in the UK, however I THINK that some was also done on their behalf in France by producers under contract.

yes I think this was the scandal 'Berry Brothers ' or another were rebottling wines under their own label but not totally correctly ie saying 1'iere cru when not ..

So what's happened to the cask wine here? Can we get back on topic please.biggrin.png

Thanks Rooo clap2.gif

It's all interesting stuff, and I quite enjoyed reading it, but .........

where can I buy a half decent box of red for 'er indoors - at a reasonable price please?

And going slightly off topic again, but I guess related to the new alcohol tax laws. We went to our local beach - seafood place tonight and I asked for a large Singha - 'sorry no have was the reply - only have medium now! (half litre) AND more expensive than the previous large bottles!'

A visiting friend found some Mont Clare red yesterday, in Maenam, corner shop at corner of Maenam resort road... 1200 baht 3 litres... seems to me that was 200 or 300 baht more than it used to be... but ... cheaper than buying the bottled plonk! drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.giftongue.png

Edited by samuijimmy

Some nice Aussie wines @ wine connection, they don't seem as expensive as the cask .

plus purchased some MC white last Wednesday for some friends on the mainland 5 lt @ 969.00 Big C.

Drink spirits, it's cheaper.

Thank you to eveyone that posted - some interesting info here.thumbsup.gif

Wifey's fave was the Bodegas red. Not seen for a while now.sad.png

Not doubting your thoughts SamuiCoconut 'Yes, pricing of boxed wine will go up to double !!! All to do with size (contents) of boxes sold....i.e. a 10 lit. box will increase more than a 3 lit box.' but this does not seem to match the beer pricing.

Cases of 12 large bottles of beer are much cheaper than cases of 24 small bottles. The logic here defeats me.facepalm.gif TIT?

May be related to alcohol content as well. Anyway, thats what I have heard from BKK. Hope I am wrong ! wai2.gif