Oh, it all makes work for the working man to do.

I had a very interesting experience this week attempting to transfer a small sum to a bank account in Laos from the Bangkok Bank in Thailand.

I was told that first it would have to be converted to dollars and then transferred. I learnt later that the Bangkok bank does not have a correspondent bank

in Laos and has to transfer via J P Morgan in New York who do have such an arrangement hence the requirement for the conversion to dollars.

This is rather surprising given that the ASEAN Economic Community is supposed to start in 2015 and Laos actually joined the group in 1997 as

Sarah Palin is wont to say "I can see Laos from my house".

However its nice to know that the banks have worked out a way of earning more in commission. It reminds you of the old Flanders and Swann song

The Gas Man Cometh and its chorus line, "Oh, it all makes work for the working man to do." Its nice to see the banks adapting in these harsh economic times.

• Like 1

I would like to know this myself. I was travelling in Laos some time ago and I saw several huge advertisment boards along the roads in Laos for on laotian bank (I dont remember which one....) that one was offered an annual interestrate12-13 % if you placed your savings in US dollars in this bank or 8-9 % if you placed ditto in thai baht.....I just have to replace my savings account as can get only 3 % annual interest rate here where Iive.....whistling.gif

• Like 1

the high interest rate of up to 12% is when deposit a amount in Lak (Lao Kip) normally can receive money transfers in USD, Euro's and THB no problem if the receive has a account open in that currency, but indeed even when wire from the EU it also goes JP Morgan in New York