Going to Vientiene, Lao for a double entry tourist visa

I leave Chiang Mai on Monday to Udon Thani, and then over the border.  If anyone can point me out a thread that might have useful information, that would help.  I have found one so I am probably fine anyway.  Any and all tips welcome!

There is a direct bus service from Udon that takes you non stop to the border. It waits while you obtain stamp out of Thailand and obtain your Laos visa then takes you direct to the bus station in the middle of Vientiane.

Below the list of visa types there is "Number of Entries Requested_____"

One thing that does not appear on webpage is that you need a copy of your Lao visa/entry stamp when you do the application.

• Like 1

Outside the Embassy you'll see some desks with young Lao people doing all the necessary for 200bt. Use them it saves lots of hassle. Just heard Vientiene has stopped double entry but the another border is cool. Forgot the name.  

Draft beer Lao is better than anything in Thailand. The French food is exceptional. 

Good luck

Edited by ubonjoe
Removed off topic info

Have a fun time. It is a GREAT city. if you like Indian food check out a restaurant called "Jamil Zahid" it is quite tricky to find if you don't know the city, but it is well worth it.. Tell him (the owner, Mr Zahid) "Sam, your Son sent me"

Edited by Smurkster

There is a direct bus service from Udon that takes you non stop to the border. It waits while you obtain stamp out of Thailand and obtain your Laos visa then takes you direct to the bus station in the middle of Vientiane.

Although if you are the only one on the bus that doesn't need to acquire a visa, then there is chance the bus MIGHT not wait for you. If that is the case, I recommend that the OP try and pool with some people to get a van or Sawngtheo into town. With just one person, it will run about 300 Baht, get a few more you might pay 75-100..

Enjoy the city, it may be a little expensive....as I have mentioned in other posts too, I have yet to experience a night out like the ones a have in Vientiane in ANY OTHER THAI CITY

Can take a bus/van/taxi to border from the airport....but make sure you get to the border by 7 or 8 a.m.  If your flight arrives later, you will miss the 12 noon deadline at the consulate in Vientiane. Perhaps sleep over one night in Udon, and leave at 6 am from your hotel. Your hotel can make transportation arrangements to the border.

The most important thing is getting to the border early. You would be waiting for everyone to clear immigration if you take the international bus...and that might hold you up. Get your border paperwork at window #2 and fill it out while standing in Line at Window #1. You are better off just taking a van after crossing into Laos, directly to the Thai consulate. Once you get to the consulate, rush up and grab a number from the machine on the wall not from from the window counters. Then grab you forms. Cheap photos outside the gate if you need them. After filling out the forms, go upstairs and there is a man with a copy machine....he will make your copies.  Then they call up a group of several numbers....watch out for line jumpers. Get your application in before 12 noon. Show up the next day with your receipt at (I think) one p.m.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Is Vientiene currently granting single entry tourist visas for Philippine citizens?  I LEFT THAILAND LAST JUNE AND RETURNED TO THE PHILIPPINES.  I JUST RETURNED BACK TO THAILAND ON AUGUST 1ST, but previous to that I have two tourist visa stamps in my passport.  I was granted a 30-day visa at the Bangkok airport on August 1st.

If I leave for the Thai embassy in Vientiene next week, will I be denied for another tourist visa?  I heard there were big changes post Aug 12th.  Can anybody confirm tourist visas are still being granted at Vientiene?