English teachers recruiting

I'm looking for a little feedback here. For the past two years I've been working on what could be a very large project. We are about to finalize an agreement with a US state (not private) University to offer joint degrees in Thailand. This project will target Thai students as they finish matayom six.

There are several very attractive features for this degree.

1. They will receive 2 degrees, one from the Thai university and one from the US university.

2. The program can be either bilingual (Thai and English) or English only.

3. They do not need to pass a TOEFL or IELTS exam until after they have completed year one

4. the total fees for this program will only be 400,000 baht

I'm obviously quite biased but I think this program is not only unique in Thailand but also reasonably affordable for middle class Thais.

What we don't have is good National marketing or names that will immediately draw attention. The Thai University in question is small and relatively unknown. The US University, while a very good middle-of-the-road US University doesn't have the name recognition of Harvard or Stanford.

My crazy idea is to pay English teachers are recruiting fee of 20,000 baht for students they can bring in. We can even tell the students that they can gain some special admittance through a letter from their English teacher to make the teacher look good.

This is just A general idea at the moment without a lot of specifics but I'd be interested in your general feedback.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All four years at the Thai University and none of this is online it's all face-to-face. The US University will send their instructors and even the president will come on graduation day to handout the diplomas.

The total fees are 400,000 baht for four years of instruction.

If it happens - and I wish you good luck to make it - the fees sounds really reasonable.

When time comes, and if my money not permits to send my son for overseas to study, then I hope he can attend to such school....

Most interesting. The students of your other adventure, your bachelor degree in tesol program are still awaiting for accreditation by the MOE and you start a new adventure. If that's not enough, you're inviting teachers to promote and recruit Thai students to enrol a non-existing program. I truly think there's something wrong with your ethics in regards to teaching in Thailand.

I am afraid you are wrong. The BA TESOL is fully approved by the MOE. And its my job to start new projects. Your approval or opinion are not a job requirement. Sorry.

[q

old_teacher.jpg

Times have changed for older teachers | Ajarn Guests | Teaching English in Thailand

I am afraid you are wrong. The BA TESOL is fully approved by the MOE. And its my job to start new projects. Your approval or opinion are not a job requirement. Sorry.

Apologise. Guess it's not in your job requirements to answer questions of the tv members about the accreditation of your ba tesol program. Guess you've forgotten about some threads since you launched your program a year or so ago. I don't hope the same will happen to this thread.

• Like 2

Most interesting. The students of your other adventure, your bachelor degree in tesol program are still awaiting for accreditation by the MOE and you start a new adventure. If that's not enough, you're inviting teachers to promote and recruit Thai students to enrol a non-existing program. I truly think there's something wrong with your ethics in regards to teaching in Thailand.

Plus offering teachers 20 K, to become headhunters. Once he's got enough students who're willing to pay 400 K, he'll start a new, maybe non approved/accredited program, together with instructors from an American university. Sounds pretty much odd.

He didn't even answer my question, if he'd gotten in touch with the MoE. Why not, if all is set up? Thanks for your post aldenai. -wai2.gif

A middle of the road US university is better than every university in Thailand, probably Asia. And studying in the US at any US university will probably cost about 1.5 million baht minimum. But that is not my reason for this thread.

You did not ask a question. You incorrectly stated that the BA TESOL had not yet been approved by the MOE.

If you want to ask and discuss in a civilized manner, I am happy to discuss. If not just go troll somewhere else.

Edited by brucetefl

When the program has been finalized and we have a website I will send you a link and you can read all about it.

They will receive 2 degrees, one from the Thai university and one from the US university.

I don't understand this. Why do they receive two degrees for one course of study?

When the program has been finalized and we have a website I will send you a link and you can read all about it.

They will receive 2 degrees, one from the Thai university and one from the US university.

I don't understand this. Why do they receive two degrees for one course of study?

Two degrees, either, Thai and English, or only English for 400 K. What's wrong here? So they receive a degree from the Thai university and from the US university.

So. a degree holder wouldn't have more qualifications than an ordinary Thai university degree holder from the local Rajabhat.

Please explain, planning to send my son soon.

​ And the higher education administration would sign their names for such a project. C'Mon.

One degree is already approved, BBA. But I am not here to discuss the workings of the Thai MOE.

I know you enjoy having a go at me. And I am quite sure that you are really not very skeptical at all, just annoyed that Bruce has another successful project on his hands.

I think this thread has served its purpose. Yes many English teachers in Thailand would be interested in such a proposal.

And then the trolls came.

Two degrees, either, Thai and English, or only English for 400 K. What's wrong here? So they receive a degree from the Thai university and from the US university.

So. a degree holder wouldn't have more qualifications than an ordinary Thai university degree holder from the local Rajabhat.

Please explain, planning to send my son soon.

​ And the higher education administration would sign their names for such a project. C'Mon.

Edited by brucetefl

I asked for feedback on a general concept that I admitted was not yet ready for full implementation. And that general concept was paying teachers to be recruiters. This is not a final offer and at the moment just an initial concept.

To quote myself:

"My crazy idea is to pay English teachers are recruiting fee of 20,000 baht for students they can bring in. We can even tell the students that they can gain some special admittance through a letter from their English teacher to make the teacher look good.

This is just A general idea at the moment without a lot of specifics but I'd be interested in your general feedback."

It was not my plan to have people attack the degree programs or get into minutia about the process of having them approved my the MOE.

But I also know that a few people just do not like me. Very few have ever met me but they seem to get annoyed whenever I do anything new and different. Its been like this since Thailand teaching forums were created--yes I have been around that long. This is my third large and very public Education project in Thailand.

Edited by brucetefl

Bruce, we have the right to be skeptical. You post here requesting feedback and when you get it, you say we are trolls. Arai wa?

You are way too thin-skinned for this project, or this forum, for that matter.

Just forget about it. There're more important things to do.

Yes I have my answer, from posts on this forum and from the PM's I have received. Many teachers seem very interested. Good to wait now, until things are ore final, and bring up the topic again.

Bruce, we have the right to be skeptical. You post here requesting feedback and when you get it, you say we are trolls. Arai wa?

You are way too thin-skinned for this project, or this forum, for that matter.

Just forget about it. There're more important things to do.

Some, but not all, off-topic and inflammatory posts have been deleted. I STRONGLY suggest you stay on topic and stop making unsolicited comments directed at ANYONE.

Many, people have hired recruiters for schools. I know some people who earn a very, very good living doing this type of work.

Personally, I am not particularly interested in it because it gets complicated. How long does the person have to be a student? What if they quit? The paid recruiters know the ins-and-outs of the business and they have contractual agreements with schools.

This idea might work, but it needs some serious threshing out .

Interesting. Details please?

It's not unique.

Our Thai University has been doing this for two years already.

Once a student completes our course, (three years in Thailand, and one in France), they receive 3 degrees: one from our university, one from the French college, and one from an Australian University.

Thanks, Scott. Nice to have professional moderation on this forum.

Some, but not all, off-topic and inflammatory posts have been deleted. I STRONGLY suggest you stay on topic and stop making unsolicited comments directed at ANYONE.

Many, people have hired recruiters for schools. I know some people who earn a very, very good living doing this type of work.

Personally, I am not particularly interested in it because it gets complicated. How long does the person have to be a student? What if they quit? The paid recruiters know the ins-and-outs of the business and they have contractual agreements with schools.

This idea might work, but it needs some serious threshing out .