My Camera Can't Read My Brand New 1gb Memory Stick

MissAnge

I've got a Sony Cybershot DSC-P7 with a lousy 16MB memory stick. The size of the memory has bugged me for quite some time so I decided to go bigger and I purchased a new 1GB memory stick (sony brand). But I've come across a problem, my camera doesn't recognise the card, it says stick error... it's the right size and brand and it all seems to fit nicely, i've tried formatting etc but those options don't even appear as there is a stick error....

i've heard perhaps that there is a problem with the older cybershots and the newer memory sticks... does anybody have any info on this?

may have just come across my answer after a couple of hours googling... it seems that this older camera can only handle memory sticks up to 128MB. But it recommends buying a special Memory Stick that has two sides of 128MB... has anybody come across these in Thailand? Would I pick one up fairly easily at the Mall?

the camera was given to me so i can't complain too much out it being old... out of interest if I were to go out and buy a new camera would you chose the Ixus or the Exillim?

Basically, your camera can only accept normal, older memory sticks. These have capacities up to 128MB (whcih is lousy). Newer cameras can accept memory stick *pro*'s. These can go up to several gigs, and that's the one you got.

I don't recommend getting the one that has 2x128mb. It's practically useless, since you still need to open up your camera, take out the stick, and flip a switch to switch to the second 128mb. Might as well buy 2 128mb's.

As to buying a new camera... thing is, you've already got a 1GB memory stick pro. Another thing is, the memory sticks are virtually unique to Sony cameras... very very very few other models use them. So, if you want to make use of that stick, you'll have to buy a new Sony camera (or you can try to trade in the stick). Oh, and then there's the issue that most smaller Sony cameras will use the Memory stick DUO, which is a smaller version of the memory stick, and you can't use your memory stick on those cameras. Yeah, Sony is a great choice if you want to keep on spending your money.

Sony was forced to abandon its old memory sticks as they reached the maximum capacity for that architecture (which was not very high).

The new memory sticks are a different architecture so may not work in older cameras. They also have an obnoxious digital rights management system built in which sony tries to market as a 'feature'.

Better to avoid devices that use memory sticks IMHO. Go for something that uses a generic type of card.

Canon digital cameras are generally pretty good.

This thread shows the need to take it with you.

In this case the camera, to make sure the new stick works, then

you can say "No I don't want it".

I guess MissAnge is lumbered with a card she does not need.

I have an old Sony S-85 4.1 MP. At normal resolution each photo is about a megabyte. I don't understand the need to have such large capacity memory sticks. I actually have eight sticks ranging from 32 to 128. I use them for computer backup also and for tranferring data because they are much faster than a disk. That's why I have so many. My favorite size for the camera are the 64's. I just find is easier to keep track of my pictures before I download them to my computer. Even on a trip I seldom take more than 60 photos so just one extra 64 is more than enough. The smaller capacity sticks are now much cheaper too.

There are several reasons why people use large memory sticks (or cards, for the non-Sony world). One, you want the highest resolution possible... otherwise, why buy the camera with that resolution? Two, you want to take as many pictures as possible. Many times you don't have access to a computer or shop, and so you can't unload the pics. Also, you want to take as many pics as possible, perhaps to capture the moment, or be sure of a good exposure. Then there are the cameras that can take videos... 1GB stores a *tiny* amount of video. Then there's the hassle of unloading every time you fill up your card... something that happens a lot less with bigger cards.

Me, I have a 1GB card, a 512MB card, and a 40GB storage device. And it's barely adequate. I have a DSLR.

Once you start carting your music collection around on a card (or worse, movies) you discover that there is no such thing as 'enough' capacity.

I have a 1GB CF and 1GB SD card for my PDA...and bought another high-speed 2GB SD the other day just to stick my 'entertainment' files on because they are so cheap now and I just couldn't help it :o

hi all,

thanks for the replies, just catching up after a long weekend down in Krabi where I had to hit the computer cafe after every 16 photos I took!

Astral, I agree it would seem that I am left with a Memory Stick that I can't use... my older sister picked up on that while she was over and she managed to take it home with her! (I'll call it christmas and bday present for her)...

so i will stick with the old sony and my 16MB's for another couple of months and then invest in a whole new camera... I'm thinking 12-15K baht, any suggestions? I'm not a photo expert so I don't need all the bells and whistles....

Most digicams sold don't come with large capacity memory... probably 16MB or 64MB, so you'll have to budget for that too. If you want something standard, get a camera that uses either CF (compactflash) or SD (secure digital) cards, since those two are the most widely used.

Also, getting one that uses AA batteries makes it much easier/cheaper to find/replace than proprietary batteries.

Size matters, but the smaller they get, the more limitations they have.

Other than that, there really is no big difference between the various cameras at the same price point. Go ahead and pick whatever suits you.