Six Cambodian 'illegals' die after chase and crash in Chon Buri

webfact

Six Cambodian 'illegals' die after chase and crash in Chon Buri
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Six people were killed and four injured early yesterday morning when a pick-up truck carrying illegal Cambodian workers broke through a checkpoint in Chon Buri's Sri Racha district and crashed into a concrete bridge pillar.

Police found the bodies of four men and two women inside the wrecked Ford pickup. The incident occurred at about 5.15am.

The four injured people were taken to Laem Chabang Hospital.

Witnesses told police that the truck was speeding towards Pattaya City and was chased by a police car.

They heard tyres screeching and saw that the vehicle had crashed into the pillar.

They then removed the injured from the vehicle.

Meanwhile, a special taskforce team, a collaboration between the Army's Burapa Task Force and Sa Kaew immigration police, arrested four alleged human traffickers and rounded up 49 illegal Cambodian workers in three separate incidents yesterday.

The team spotted a suspicious pick-up truck in Sa Kaew's Klong Hat district and gave chase, stopping it at Khao Din Village.

They found 14 undocumented Cambodians inside the truck.

The team learned that the workers paid Bt1,500 each to a middle man to get jobs at a Bangkok construction site.

The workers and the truck driver, Amnuay Jerdpimai, were arrested.

In another incident, pickup truck driver Urant Boonpitak and wife Arom Tipachai were arrested along with eight illegal Cambodian workers in tambon Noen Mak Kheng, Wattana Nakhon district.

Urant told officials he transported the workers from Bangkok to the border for Bt1,000 per head.

In another case, the team arrested pick-up truck driver Niwat Dathong while he was transporting 27 illegal Cambodian workers from Chon Buri to the border.

Niwat said he was paid Bt10,000.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-10

Their criminals that have entered another country illegally. They should be deported after their fingerprints and images have been recorded. As for the Thai's....jail is the right option.

So the Thais arrested will be released? Are they out on bail? What are the police doing to sting traffickers besides arresting Thai pickup drivers and Thai couples running safe houses?

Why would you assume they would be released?

Their criminals that have entered another country illegally. They should be deported after their fingerprints and images have been recorded. As for the Thai's....jail is the right option.

Not effective and will do nothing to stop the flow. The employers are the culprits. The developers and contractors are fully aware that there are lillegal workers hired. Their bloated profits depend on it. Go after these people. Visit their worksites and check the status of the workers. Fine the employers 100,000 baht per illegal and it will be stopped in no time. Unfortunately, so too will many construction projects, and the developers and contractors will be forced to pay the Thais a living wage.

I agree totally, but this is against what you normally stand for. It is the said government that takes the responsibility for not clamping down on these KNOWN business persons.

Another story of bad governance, corrupt officials turning blind eyes. Provincial government overseeing local construction projects. Again follow the contract money etc.

You see I not normally bash This land known as Thailand as you think--I bash the people responsible for running the job. (whoever is in the wrong)

• Like 2

sorry for the dead innocents, just another case of government arrogance and useless laws, guess construction will be delayed now , cambodians seem to be the ones willing to do jobs the thais are too lazy to do

Unlike you? You'd have no problem working 16 hours a day for a lousy salary, lousy food, and lousy accommodation?

I agree 100% too many people,me included, complain about things and situations here from the safety of our cocooned farang lives without ever having put on the other mans shoes and walked a mile.

Poor bastards,what were they doing wrong? all they wanted to do was work and that for a pittance,could have left them alone, but no, follow these dangerous foreigners obviously a threat to Thailand.

• Like 1

Because what they were doing was soooooooo wrong. You are a little chest full of understanding and sympathy.

sorry for the dead innocents, just another case of government arrogance and useless laws, guess construction will be delayed now , cambodians seem to be the ones willing to do jobs the thais are too lazy to do

I think it is not fair to say that.

Thais are lazy but they have other options. Why would Thais (or anyone) do these jobs if they can work less and earn more?

Not effective and will do nothing to stop the flow. The employers are the culprits. The developers and contractors are fully aware that there are lillegal workers hired. Their bloated profits depend on it. Go after these people. Visit their worksites and check the status of the workers. Fine the employers 100,000 baht per illegal and it will be stopped in no time. Unfortunately, so too will many construction projects, and the developers and contractors will be forced to pay the Thais a living wage.

I agree totally, but this is against what you normally stand for. It is the said government that takes the responsibility for not clamping down on these KNOWN business persons.

Another story of bad governance, corrupt officials turning blind eyes. Provincial government overseeing local construction projects. Again follow the contract money etc.

You see I not normally bash This land known as Thailand as you think--I bash the people responsible for running the job. (whoever is in the wrong)

The importation of foreign workers is a common practice by Thailand business community as the cheaper wages paid to them and not the ungodly, unrealistic wage of 300 baht a day paid to the Thai work force..

The only way to deal with that is high financial penalties and prison time!

This has nothing to do with the sitting government and has long been the corruption practiced by the business community to get around the government's 300 baht per day Thai workers legislated minimum wage!

Cheers

Edited by kikoman

This goes on all the time daily, it has nothing to do with any government it is simply business doing what it does best, exploiting cheap labour and in any manner that fills its needs. Why pay 300 a day when they can get them half that illegally for a bit of pocket change to willing traffickers.

Its a racket thats been going on for decades, no one cares about these people and it will not stop in our lifetime judging by the enormity and depth of the corruption here. No one is going to reform anything that will make one ounce of difference to this economic and thinly veiled virtual slave trade,.sadly.

Yeah, the people of the world must look mighty small from the height of that pedestal you're standing on!!

I bet you still buy counterfeit CD's and DVD's and clothing too whistling.gif

The importation of foreign workers is a common practice by Thailand business community as the cheaper wages paid to them and not the ungodly, unrealistic wage of 300 baht a day paid to the Thai work force..

This has nothing to do with the sitting government and has long been the corruption practiced by the business community to get around the government's 300 baht per day Thai workers legislated minimum wage!

Cheers

Not exactly confined to Thailand so. The reason that many of us can enjoy relatively cheap products is thanks to the slave workers in Cambodian garment factories, Mexican Walnut pickers in the US, Burmese fishermen on Thai boats, and on and on.

Once again enforcement of the law is at the root of this problem. No point applying a large fine on the company if they are not going to be enforced or just provide other individuals in the authorities with another revenue stream. It would be nice to have these construction site shut down causing delays until the employment status of all workers in confirmed however there is no incentive to do this.

• Like 1

Cheers

1st paragraph is universally known.

2nd High financial penalties on the slave business---that should be controlled by government human rights etc. (whoever is in power-no excuse please for the said government.

3rd para---already answered and has very much to do with the admin in charge.

'Long been practiced' answer again lack of clampdown on immigration--and illegal businesses. The migrant illegal workers, get them back across the border black mark the people.

My idea is not imprison the workers---IMPRISON the owners of companies that USE----USE...................greed.

Nothing to do with the sitting government----you said---------a joke remark, prevention better than cure.

I would be shocked if there was not Cambodians etc on every site in Pattatay and BKK. Anyone in business here in Thailand knows it is hard to get staff for basic manual work. A friend ( Thai ) has a pub in BKK and said every staff I can see is Vietnamese, he can not get staff. And this is a nice restaurant/pub.

Builders in Pattaya pay 1,000 by per month per head to not have a problem for them to work in Chonburi. That probably translates to a million baht a month to someone, nice earn.

I would guess that normally when the police catch them in the pickup's ( which you can see every day going around Pattaya ) they have pay to keep going, that is the motivation for the chase, the police want their penalty cash

• Like 1

This goes on all the time daily, it has nothing to do with any government it is simply business doing what it does best, exploiting cheap labour and in any manner that fills its needs. Why pay 300 a day when they can get them half that illegally for a bit of pocket change to willing traffickers.

Its a racket thats been going on for decades, no one cares about these people and it will not stop in our lifetime judging by the enormity and depth of the corruption here. No one is going to reform anything that will make one ounce of difference to this economic and thinly veiled virtual slave trade,.sadly.

Another poster in denial, How does anyone stop illegal happenings in any country ???? ACTION by the said government.

" business doing what it does best" JOKE---true but who controls business ???

Maybe you cannot stop a lifetime of illegal sh#T BUT YOU should make an effort, sound like weak kneed excuse ---""Ha Ha it's always been like this, so no one does anything---so it's normal ???

• Like 1

They are. Just last week an immigration prison van carrying illegal Cambodians was spotted as I was driving towards the Cambodian border at Ban Laem, Chantaburi province. Clearly they were being brought there for deportation.

This was not the first time either - if you head towards border provinces you will see these vans regularly, particularly those heading towards the Cambodian and Myanmar borders, not so much the Lao border and I wouldn't expect many vans heading towards the Malaysian border of course.

Yeah, the people of the world must look mighty small from the height of that pedestal you're standing on!!

I bet you still buy counterfeit CD's and DVD's and clothing too whistling.gif

Don't really get you drift ----I have all the dvd--cd--cdg---vcd--cdvs mini disc to last me another 100 years, I am as normal as any other guy---I do not buy copy shi# clothes or any other -------no one is above or below me---I look everyone equal.

I feel sorry for desperate people trying to get a wage, but to prevent them coming into Thailand I would put stiffer penalties on the traffickers -traders of humans-for gain.

As for your remarks---get a life---don't tar people with the same brush, were not all buyers of 2nd hand sh#t or copies.

Cheers

Not exactly confined to Thailand so. The reason that many of us can enjoy relatively cheap products is thanks to the slave workers in Cambodian garment factories, Mexican Walnut pickers in the US, Burmese fishermen on Thai boats, and on and on.

Hooray thanks to the slave workers, lovely, we thrive on your dirt cheap labour, that's why we enjoy it here we can live much cheaper ????? <deleted>.

If you have to rely on these down trodden workers for you existence here, you are either desperate, or just plain cheap Charlie-

Get the greedy Thai that are making millions out of these poor people, string them up and collect double tax for doing it--and jail.

Police need to be held for accountability on this one. Why the "hot pursuit"? Were they wanted for murder they had just committed? (compare the OJ Simpson slow speed chase of years ago). Robbed a bank? Gang raped someone? No, just working without a permit. How many of us have seen police chasing after drunk, dangerous drivers? Speeding buses? Anything, ever? Guess you could say they were chasing after a buck. Apology might be along the line of "All those deaths, all that tea money we lost. We are so sorry".

....it seems like....illegal workers.....and drugs......are out of control in this country....

...weren't there highly publicized campaigns that were supposed to address both....???

Are you talking about Thailand?...or are you in the US?

• Like 1