Visa Run Report: Hua Hin to Kanchanaburi

• 3 months later...

Sorry, just gonna ask again since it's been a few months... Is this border still open? And is there a way to get there using public transportation? Also, with regards to a Myanmar visa, do you need one for an in-and-out?

Edited by eldragon

It is open and you can again get a border pass for Myanmar.

The fee is 900 baht that includes transport across no mans land to the Myanmar side and the fee for the border pass.

I can recall reports of being able to get public transport to there from Kanchanaburi.

• Like 2

It is open and you can again get a border pass for Myanmar.

The fee is 900 baht that includes transport across no mans land to the Myanmar side and the fee for the border pass.

I can recall reports of being able to get public transport to there from Kanchanaburi.

There is a van service a few times a day from the bus station to Phu Nam Ron, I will call and get the times, PM me if you want the number

• Like 1

Here is the Schedule at the moment

Departs Phu Nam Ron 06:00 arrives Kanchanaburi 07:00

Departs Kanchanaburi 10:00 arrives Phu Nam ron 11:00

Departs Phu Nam Ron 12:00 arrives Kanchanaburi 13:00

Departs Kanchanaburi 18:00 arrives Phu Nam Ron 19:00

• Like 2

No way that a bus in Kan makes that trip in 1 hour, sorry, but it is approx. 60 to 70 khms from Kan and single lanes after the last traffic small traffic light on the 323.

I think more like 2 odd hours would be correct.

I did that trip taking a mate of mine to do his, as I am a PR holder and never did a run btw, and it took me (OK, not knowing the road), over 1 hour plus at a speed of 90 if possible, but not only on odd a few times. Coming back was a bit faster, but not that much on this single lane road.

Win thumbsup.gif , been there and Merry Christmas to you all. wai.gif

I think he wants to know if he can do an "in and out" border run and get 30 more days without a visa from Myanmar.

~

I was given 30 days last weekend.

Well this is definitely a change to what happened before.

I wonder what's changed and whether it changed on the Myanmar side or the Thai side...

I didn't actually require any extra days as I'd just been given a 30 day ext at CW. I think overall it only extended by 6 or 7 days to what was previously the visa in my passport. But it was definitely a 30 day exempt stamp they gave me.

BTW, this was the politest border immigration staff that I've ever encountered anywhere in the world.

I now have no old staples in my passport as the officer at outbound counter picked them all out from the pages. Offered candy at the inward counter.

No way that a bus in Kan makes that trip in 1 hour, sorry, but it is approx. 60 to 70 khms from Kan and single lanes after the last traffic small traffic light on the 323.

I did that trip taking a mate of mine to do his, as I am a PR holder and never did a run btw, and it took me (OK, not knowing the road), over 1 hour plus at a speed of 90 if possible, but not only on odd a few times. Coming back was a bit faster, but not that much on this single lane road.

From the bus station to my place is about 30 min ride going via Yang Yo, then here is the sign about 100m down the road from me...

post-4090-0-67522900-1419424207_thumb.jp

• Like 1

'Kan Win' you should get out more often. You can now get to the border from Kan town in an hour no problem. Sign posted and they have upgraded the roads along the way too.

• Like 1

From Kanchanaburi it's a 4 to 5 hour drive no lpg stations after Kanchanaburi

Please explain your 4 to 5 hour drive?

Kanchanaburi is a big province but if you start from the centre of Kan town it should take around 1 hour via car.

• Like 1

Kanchanaburi and Ranong are probably similar distances from Hua Hin

Are you for real??

Kan is about a little over 300 from Hua Hin and then up to the boarder in Kan about 100 odd kms or so.

So then, the total approx. would be 400 kms, whilst Ranong over 500 kms and more. Then having to catch the boat ????????????????????? kms and more.

Time is on your side, please use it well.

Win

Apologies for my innacuracy in posting the correct distance to Kanchanaburi and Ranong from Hua Hin.

The main point of my post, which I think I made clear, was that the trip from Hua Hin to Kanchanaburi was much easier than the trip from HH to Ranong. It's a much easier drive and you don't have to mess about trying to get a boat over to Myanmar in Kanchaburi like you do in Ranong.

I also wanted to show people the state of the border on the Myanmar side which is why I took the photos. And now that a member has also provided GPS coordinates (which I didn't have when I made my trip), this thread now offers up a good but of info for anyone considering making the trip in the near future.

Guess there is no pleasing some people.

You pleased the immi guy with your 200b tip.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have just realised I have have overstayed my non imm O (based on marriage) multiple entry visa ( by 1 day) and am wondering if the overstay would cause a problem when doing a visa run here? Anyone have any ideas?

Could I pay the fine at the thai border office?

thanks in advance.

I have just realised I have have overstayed my non imm O (based on marriage) multiple entry visa ( by 1 day) and am wondering if the overstay would cause a problem when doing a visa run here? Anyone have any ideas?

Could I pay the fine at the thai border office?

thanks in advance.

There will be no "problem" but you will have to pay the fine !

I cannot give any update on Kan border policy as I decided to fly to Singapore and back instead. Did it same day with Tiger air (5300THB). I had overstayed by 3 days and went to Samutprakan immigration office to try to get an extension (which I was advised I could do). Very unhelpful staff member told me I need a whole list of documents before I can do this. (translated and certified copy of marriage certificate, copy of landlord ID and more.) So I decided to go to Chaeng Wattana to try my luck. Was told at reception, "No problem" by helpful lady. Just fill out this form and take a number... After 2 hour wait was told cannot apply for extension here as home address is SamutPrakan (Sukhumvit105, right on the border). So then hatched plan to drive to Kanchanaburi border but later decided to fly to Singapore.

I don't understand why all the requirements to extend a visa I already have (Non immi-O based on marriage to thai). I already had to do all that when I got the visa.

Anyway, no point arguing...

I cannot give any update on Kan border policy as I decided to fly to Singapore and back instead. Did it same day with Tiger air (5300THB). I had overstayed by 3 days and went to Samutprakan immigration office to try to get an extension (which I was advised I could do). Very unhelpful staff member told me I need a whole list of documents before I can do this. (translated and certified copy of marriage certificate, copy of landlord ID and more.) So I decided to go to Chaeng Wattana to try my luck. Was told at reception, "No problem" by helpful lady. Just fill out this form and take a number... After 2 hour wait was told cannot apply for extension here as home address is SamutPrakan (Sukhumvit105, right on the border). So then hatched plan to drive to Kanchanaburi border but later decided to fly to Singapore.

I don't understand why all the requirements to extend a visa I already have (Non immi-O based on marriage to thai). I already had to do all that when I got the visa.

Anyway, no point arguing...

Not sure why you were told your marriage certificate needed translating unless it was not in English.

The other documents for a 60 day extension of stay would of been copies of your wife's ID card and house book registry. Plus you wife needs to be with you. Unless you are living where you wife's house book is for it is normal for them to ask for proof of residence.

Chaeng Wattana not doing it is not unusual since you do not have a Bangkok address.

Immigration has their own requirements for all extensions of stay (visas are not extended) that are often much different than what is needed to get a visa.

I can understand that Chaeng Wattana couldn't help. The problem is that SamutPrakan just seem to be not interested in being the least bit helpful, and I get the impression they don't know the rules themselves. The guy also started going on about showing proof of income or savings, which you need for 90 day reporting. But we clearly explained that is not what we were after. Just a simple 60 day extension. My wife was with me and she had her id card and house registration.

Hopefully I will have a work permit in the next couple of weeks which will (I assume...) make things easier.

You did not reply about your marriage certificate.

You should register your foreign marriage at an Amphoe if you want to make things easier and it will be needed if you want to apply for a one year extension later. That will require getting your marriage certificate translated to Thai and the translation certified by the MFA.

That would be handy for me I'm only an hour and a half from Kanchan. Do they whack a pagefull of visa in your passport when you cross into Myanmar, I've only got 3 pages left and if its a Cambodia/Laos style I'll give it a miss

We were married 9 years ago in Australia. I will have to get it translated into Thai at some point. Do I need to register it where my wife is listed on house registration? Or should it be done where we currently live?

It just seems a lot of duplication. The thai embassy accepted a certified copy of our australian marriage certificate when they gave me a visa. Now I have to show again that we are married by translating to Thai and certifying here. I knew there is a lot of paperwork and beaurocracy here before we moved back here. just having a whinge...

That would be handy for me I'm only an hour and a half from Kanchan. Do they whack a pagefull of visa in your passport when you cross into Myanmar, I've only got 3 pages left and if its a Cambodia/Laos style I'll give it a miss

It is nothing more than a stamp to enter Myanmar. No full page visa sticker.

You pay 500 baht for a border pass and 400 baht for transport across and back again across no mans land.

• Like 1