Visa Run Report: Hua Hin to Kanchanaburi

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That would be handy for me I'm only an hour and a half from Kanchan. Do they whack a pagefull of visa in your passport when you cross into Myanmar, I've only got 3 pages left and if its a Cambodia/Laos style I'll give it a miss

It is nothing more than a stamp to enter Myanmar. No full page visa sticker.

You pay 500 baht for a border pass and 400 baht for transport across and back again across no mans land.

Thanks , I was going to Malaysai before that's just a stamp , But I'd be kanchaburi and back home in 4 to 5 hours depending on border

I did consider a border run service,but I am not a good passenger and prefer not to risk my life in a minivan, not knowing the abilities of the driver. Also, I had 50 Singapore dollars I wanted to spend in the bar at Singapore airport...good for about 3 beers!

As I live in Kanchanaburi Phu Nam Ron is very convenient for border hops.

Today was the first time I have ever gone there at the weekend....don't think I'll try that again.

First thing I noticed at the left turn that leads to Thai Immigration was a very large number of minibus. As I got to the office itself there was a huge number of Burmese and Laos waiting to exit Thailand.

A quick word established there was about a 2 hour wait so I decided to give it a miss.

As I still have 12 days left I will be going again when it's a lot quieter during the week.

Talking with a couple of officials there they said that it is always very busy now at weekends.

Also the road on the hill out of Phu Nam Ron is being upgraded right now and is just gravel with a lot of excavators and work going on.

• Like 1

That would be handy for me I'm only an hour and a half from Kanchan. Do they whack a pagefull of visa in your passport when you cross into Myanmar, I've only got 3 pages left and if its a Cambodia/Laos style I'll give it a miss

You pay 500 baht for a border pass and 400 baht for transport across and back again across no mans land.

Can you drive your own car or whatever transport you arrived in to avoid this fee? The OP of this post did just that and while I presume Thai cars won't be allowed to proceed further into Myanmar than the Burmese immigration post unless you go on a tour with guide from MTT, at least Thai cars can drive up to immigration on the Burmese side without any special requirements, right?

Also, can anyone tell me where the traffic switchover takes place? Does one drive on the left in no man's land and then switch to the right just before Myanmar immigration (I assume yes, but just curious)? Are there any signs indicating this or is it just a random free for all where you might suddenly see a vehicle coming at you head on?

We were married 9 years ago in Australia. I will have to get it translated into Thai at some point. Do I need to register it where my wife is listed on house registration? Or should it be done where we currently live?

It just seems a lot of duplication. The thai embassy accepted a certified copy of our australian marriage certificate when they gave me a visa. Now I have to show again that we are married by translating to Thai and certifying here. I knew there is a lot of paperwork and beaurocracy here before we moved back here. just having a whinge...

No need for translation for documents that are in English. What you may need is a letter by your embassy that you marriage is still current. Check requirements with local Amphur.

By the way, that is not much bureaucracy at all. You should check the countries that required legalized translations for any document not in their language, or using apostille, etc.

Can you drive your own car or whatever transport you arrived in to avoid this fee? The OP of this post did just that and while I presume Thai cars won't be allowed to proceed further into Myanmar than the Burmese immigration post unless you go on a tour with guide from MTT, at least Thai cars can drive up to immigration on the Burmese side without any special requirements, right?

Also, can anyone tell me where the traffic switchover takes place? Does one drive on the left in no man's land and then switch to the right just before Myanmar immigration (I assume yes, but just curious)? Are there any signs indicating this or is it just a random free for all where you might suddenly see a vehicle coming at you head on?

I asked about taking my own transport across last border hop three months ago. The answer was no.

So there is transport there to take you across , Bike , bus ect ?

You pay 900 baht total to cross no mans land that includes 500 baht for a border pass.. I think they are using a van now.

Yes they normally use a minibus although last time I went in December I was the only one there so the guy drove me across in his own car :-)

As I live in Kanchanaburi Phu Nam Ron is very convenient for border hops.

Today was the first time I have ever gone there at the weekend....don't think I'll try that again.

First thing I noticed at the left turn that leads to Thai Immigration was a very large number of minibus. As I got to the office itself there was a huge number of Burmese and Laos waiting to exit Thailand.

A quick word established there was about a 2 hour wait so I decided to give it a miss.

As I still have 12 days left I will be going again when it's a lot quieter during the week.

Talking with a couple of officials there they said that it is always very busy now at weekends.

Also the road on the hill out of Phu Nam Ron is being upgraded right now and is just gravel with a lot of excavators and work going on.

What a difference a few days makes! Visited the crossing again today and it was very quiet. No other westerners there as far as I could see so got the limo treatment by myself again instead of the minibus. 43 minutes all told from stamping out of Thailand to reentry. Slowest part was the ride over the mountain to Burmese Immigration as the track is in a poor state.

• 2 weeks later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I take it this is still all running nicely ?

My out date is 1/5 , so will that Border be closed on Thai holiday ?

Think it may be better to rock up on 29/4

Boarder crossings are never closed for "Thai holidays" !

I take it this is still all running nicely ?

My out date is 1/5 , so will that Border be closed on Thai holiday ?

Think it may be better to rock up on 29/4

Boarder crossings are never closed for "Thai holidays" !

I suppose the other side might be a worry, I'll just go a day or two early.

Going to pop down this week. I went about a year ago and the price was fluctuating. Still 900? Probably going to rent a bike in Kanchanaburi as the border is easy enough to find.

910 bht. The extra 10 bht is for the colour copy of your passport.

• 2 weeks later...

I intend on getting to the border Fri Am but will update this thread after the weekend.

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm planning on doing this run on Monday or Tuesday this coming week (smack bang in the middle of Sonkran!!), any reports on a recent successful trip?

There was a dude who lived in Hua Hin at the border on Thursday. Took an hour to process and get back into Thailand this was at approximately 1.30. Driving on those roads during Songkran. Interesting call.

• 1 month later...

Any recent reports on this border crossing? I hope it is still operating smoothly. Have to go in and out for non immigrant "O" visa this week.

Any info appreciated.

I need go same. 28-29th. But I am not sure this check point is work... Not new information about Phu Nam Ron.

I went to Ban Phu Nam Ron on Wednesday of this week and can report it was a very easy and fast process. There were no people waiting, the immigration staff were friendly, I paid my 910 baht and was driven to the Myanmar checkpoint, where the driver hopped out of the car with my passport and returned 2 or 3 minutes later with my passport stamped as entering and leaving Myanmar. Drove the 5 minutes back and went through thai immigration where i received my 90 days stamp.(non immigrant O visa based on marriage to thai)

There was a lot of roadworks going on over the last few kms where you go up and over the mountains. As an aside, I took my wife and 2 kids and we stayed over in kanchanaburi for the night which was nice. Ate at a restaurant called "Meat & Cheese" which was great!

Only downside is from Bangna area it took about 4 hours to get to the border.

• Like 1

I make same.

Yesterday.

All is good and fast.

But need have Visa. I asked two times. If I did't have any Visa I can not go to Thailand.

I activated second part of my TR visa.

Road is so bad.. Need to drive carefully..

• 2 months later...

I went to Ban Phu Nam Ron on Wednesday of this week and can report it was a very easy and fast process. There were no people waiting, the immigration staff were friendly, I paid my 910 baht and was driven to the Myanmar checkpoint, where the driver hopped out of the car with my passport and returned 2 or 3 minutes later with my passport stamped as entering and leaving Myanmar. Drove the 5 minutes back and went through thai immigration where i received my 90 days stamp.(non immigrant O visa based on marriage to thai)

There was a lot of roadworks going on over the last few kms where you go up and over the mountains. As an aside, I took my wife and 2 kids and we stayed over in kanchanaburi for the night which was nice. Ate at a restaurant called "Meat & Cheese" which was great!

Dear hotchips and/or UbonJoe,

I'm in the same situation like you hotchips, I have a 2 years old daughter and i am married with a Thai (married legalized in THAI celebrate in France) i have a non immigrant (based on marriage to thai) delivered in France, which i have already extended for 60 Days at Hua Hin immigration center. I have just been told by Ubonjoe that i can only get a 30 days single entry visa on arrival at Ban Phu Nam Ron. But it looks like hotchips obtains a 90 days extensions ?? I'm a bit confuse...

Can you help me on this ! Thanks a lot

Dear hotchips and/or UbonJoe,

I'm in the same situation like you hotchips, I have a 2 years old daughter and i am married with a Thai (married legalized in THAI celebrate in France) i have a non immigrant (based on marriage to thai) delivered in France, which i have already extended for 60 Days at Hua Hin immigration center. I have just been told by Ubonjoe that i can only get a 30 days single entry visa on arrival at Ban Phu Nam Ron. But it looks like hotchips obtains a 90 days extensions ?? I'm a bit confuse...

Can you help me on this ! Thanks a lot

EDIT : I think i figured out myself : hotchips probably had a 1 year non O visa which requires 90 DAYS stamps... Mine was a 90 DAYS with a max of 60 Days extension. The family trip described by hotchips still looks interesting, so i will probably do it tomorrow as my extension ends on the 21st !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Element,

sorry for the late reply. You are correct, I have a non immigrant "O" visa multiple entry, which allows me to stay for 90 days at a time. At the end of the 90 days I have to leave the country and return. The Kanchanaburi trip is a nice way to do it, if you make a short trip out of it.

I have just been to Savannakhet to get a new non Immigrant O multiple entry visa, which was fairly straightforward. You can find more information about that in the forum.

Cheers.

• 3 months later...

Just thought I'd update the topic with my experience at this crossing (activating the second entry of my tourist visa).

Took the 5:00 van from outside Market Village in Hua Hin and arrived in Phetchaburi exactly three hours later. Ended up taking a "taxi" to the border; at 1,000 baht to go there and return I felt it was a pretty ok price, seeing as it takes about an hour to get there, another hour to go back, plus the time the driver has to sit and wait for me to finish the border run.

When we arrived he pointed me in the right direction, and after I went through the Thai immigration (who were very interested in why I was using their crossing instead of Nong Khai where I have gotten my tourist visas) I was instantly greeted by the guy handling the "visa run service". I was the only person at the border, except for the staff, of course. Payed 910 baht and then he drove me in his incredibly rickety van through the no-man's-land and into Myanmar (I suppose). At the Burmese immigration he just went in with my passport and settled everything; I stayed in the van the whole time. The whole run took about 20 minutes and the grumpy Thai immigration officer let me back in the country with two spanking new months.

My taxi was waiting for me (not surprising since I hadn't payed him yet) and upon return he assisted me in getting a van ticket back to Hua Hin, much to the delight of the driver of the van who was the same guy that drove me there in the morning.