Best Burgers In Thailand

bkkjosh

I’ve seen the same magazine article, and was in the neighborhood today, so I gave Woodstock’s a shot. My overall impression, while favorable, was not quite as orgasmic as the OP’s. While it is a good burger that uses high quality ingredients, other than the presentation, the burger wasn’t that exciting. IMHO, it is not the best in Thailand, or even Bangkok for that matter. There were some other interesting things on the menu that looked good, so I may go back, but not for the burger.

OK, the detailed burger review. I went for Monterey Jack cheese burger. The best part of this burger is presentation. It comes on a large wooden steak board, with coleslaw in a center dish, fries to one side and burger to the other. The lettuce, tomato, and onion are on the side and the burger comes plain with the condiments on the side as well. The patty has a slightly smaller diameter than the bun, but is still a good size. The beef is not bad, but a little “meat loafie” for my taste and is fried not char broiled. The bun is more like a dinner role. It has rosemary baked in, which gives in a nice aroma. By itself, it’s good bread, however it over shadows the beef. It also makes for a very vertical burger that you need to stretch your mouth out to eat. The fries where good, kind of a medium cut steak fry.

Ambiance/service: I came in at an odd time, about 2pm and a Friday, and I was the only customer, so it’s hard to judge the atmosphere. Good music at a reasonable volume. The décor was new and tastefull, with a good use of dark and light materials in the classic bar theme. The service was good, but like I said, they weren’t very busy. She did make a point of asking me how I like the food, which is something you don’t hear to often here.

Putting things into context (my personal biases): Now the same article that lauded Woodstock’s also panned my favorite burger joint, the Big Mango Bar. I’ve spend a fair about of time in the Bay area were the boys from the Big Mango are from, and I grew up on the West Coast (by at a more Northern Latitude), so we have similar ideas of what a burger should be. It has the a higher fat content than the average Bangkok burger, as a proper burger should, and is char broiled on a properly seasoned grill. The guys have done there home work and have created a great representation of a beach concession burger. Good music, friendly service, and surprisingly good prices. My Woodstock burger, fries, and Tiger worked out to 340bt, the same thing at Big Mango’s (during happy hour) is only 165bt.

Sounds good, I'll have to give big mango a try soon :o Thanks for the tip!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . . The only minor annoyance is I had barely sat down before being propositioned to buy round of vodka shots for a bunch of the girls. Is it customary for customers who order a meal to just dump 500 baht on people they've never seen before? No big deal, they were friendly enough and easy enough to say no. Anyway, a good find. Nice to know there's good food in the plaza after woodstock departed.

Not the normal approach by the Big Mango ladies, who are usually nonaggressive in soliciting lady drinks. However, I have noticed some of the more recent hires are more aggressive in asking for drinks, and one in particular asking me for ST every time I enter the bar, even though I've never had an extended conversation with her.

IMHO, the Big Mango burgers are the tastiest, and by far the best value, of any I've had in Bkk. They also have a good selection of Thai food, and are therefore a popular place to take 'dates' for dinner, billards, and drinks.

• 1 month later...

. . . The only minor annoyance is I had barely sat down before being propositioned to buy round of vodka shots for a bunch of the girls. Is it customary for customers who order a meal to just dump 500 baht on people they've never seen before? No big deal, they were friendly enough and easy enough to say no. Anyway, a good find. Nice to know there's good food in the plaza after woodstock departed.

Not the normal approach by the Big Mango ladies, who are usually nonaggressive in soliciting lady drinks. However, I have noticed some of the more recent hires are more aggressive in asking for drinks, and one in particular asking me for ST every time I enter the bar, even though I've never had an extended conversation with her.

IMHO, the Big Mango burgers are the tastiest, and by far the best value, of any I've had in Bkk. They also have a good selection of Thai food, and are therefore a popular place to take 'dates' for dinner, billards, and drinks.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

All these threads about best burger, pizza, mexican etc are redundant.

It's all subjective and unless you are some expert with a degree in burgers like bkkjames MBA (master burger analyzer) then ok to say your likes and dislikes but leave it at that.

Personally speaking, the best burgers in bangkok come off my bbq 2-3 times a month.  :lol:

The good ones do change though. The big Mango used to be excellent, but seem to have gone downhill. It is not bad to keep up.

Ok UG this illustrates my point though. You say it has gone down hill but perhaps some people like them now?

I used you like to frequent a place in NP that had a shower show but it has long since gone. I am guessing some people prefer it this way.

Edited by bkkjames

My vote: Iron Fairies, Soi Thonglor near Soi 12. Five varieties, huge, fire-grilled 100% Australian tenderloin beef on buns fresh-baked for the establishment.

Was gonna go for lunch yesterday until I discovered they don't open until 8 pm :( What burger joint keeps such weird hours?

My vote: Iron Fairies, Soi Thonglor near Soi 12. Five varieties, huge, fire-grilled 100% Australian tenderloin beef on buns fresh-baked for the establishment.

Was gonna go for lunch yesterday until I discovered they don't open until 8 pm :(  What burger joint keeps such weird hours?

the one outside of Nana Plaza. 

Personally speaking, the best burgers in bangkok come off my bbq 2-3 times a month.   :lol:

I eagerly await my invitation :)

I floated the idea of TV bbq somewhere in Bangkok last year but got no response basically. Too much effort apparently. Still think George could do an annual TV Awards thing - best post, most suspended member, favorite mod and so on with profits to charity of some kind.

TV has enough sponsors now who I am sure would chip in with a few prizes. I am willing to cook but leave me out of the entertainment portion - unless you are looking for comedy of medium rare nature. 

Was gonna go for lunch yesterday until I discovered they don't open until 8 pm :( What burger joint keeps such weird hours?

the one outside of Nana Plaza.

Touché :)

And good idea about TV gathering with proceeds to charity.

Edited by onethailand

Not that I mind particularly, because I'm fond of this general topic...

But what spurred you to revive a three year old long-dead thread???

Actually it's an iron workshop by day, bar by night, with a five-burger menu. Yesterday it opened at 6pm and closed at 2am. Live jazz nightly, too.

Sounds like Chiang Mai Saloon used to be before they changed meat suppliers. Is it better than those? 

Interesting place looking at their website. One thing I noticed is that they have a dress code which would preclude many members from entering. :D

Sounds like Chiang Mai Saloon used to be before they changed meat suppliers. Is it better than those?

A lot better IMO, and I used to love the Saloon burgers. Iron Fairies uses fresh-ground Oz rib-eye, nothing frozen. Fresh buns daily. Char-grilled.

Interesting place looking at their website. One thing I noticed is that they have a dress code which would preclude many members from entering. :D

It's Thonglor after all, and yes it trades on that level, as the prices suggest. But there were folks in t-shirts and jeans the night I was there, including three fat Aussie tech reps dressed like normal slobs who obviously came just for the burgers. Hope they aren't reading this. They were really nice guys ;)