Bad day at RUTNIN eye hospital

hhgz

I have my eyes check every few years, not that my eyesight has deteriorated, but many places won't dispense new eyewear without a newer prescription. The eye exam at Rutnin consists of three parts: visual acuity, refraction, and "slit" (pupil dilation). During the first test, I removed my eyeglasses and, when I couldn't read the eye chart, the clinician told me to "guess". Exactly, what purpose would that serve? During the second test, I viewed through an optical device, the clinician pushed a few buttons, and new lenses were rotated into view - I'm used to the old school "better...worse..." procedure. After she thought she had finished, I told her that the letters were still fuzzy, and she laughed. She slipped a few lenses into a metal frame, had me try it on and, not surprisingly, my vision was not up to par. I complained, and she giggled. I told her that my old glasses provided better vision correction, and she smiled. I was then shooed off to the third test. When the doctor commented about my new prescription, I explained to him about the test, and he reassured me that he'd write the new prescription so that it would reflect the prescription of my current glasses. I finished the test, paid, and received my prescription. When I compared it to my old prescription, it was clear that the doctor did not do as he promised. Today, it's back to Rutnin...

Used Rutnin for 3 or 4 years now and never had a problem at all.thumbsup.gif Tried other places but not found them to be as good and way more expensive. Had both my eyes lasered there and go for routine check ups which involve them consulting my doctor in Hua Hin to ascertain what current medication I am in order to assess any effects it might have on my vision.

Rutnin is an excellent facility for treatment of opthalmological diseases but may not be the best for simple glasses prescription. I have consistently found ordinary "Mom and Pop" (i.e. not chains) shops to be the best both for calue for money in terms of the glasses and also fir taking time to get the prescription right.

When I complained to Rutnin, rather than spend 15 minutes to recheck my eyes, a rep told me to have the glasses dispensed with the prescription as written and, if it was not right, I should return the glasses, have my eyes rechecked, and then get the glasses with the correct prescription at no additional charge. Wow.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for sharing. It's sadly not uncommon in Europe either. Had an ophtalmologist in Germany (the nicest man, studied at the same university as my mother). Every prescription he ever wrote for me was useless. The optician next door turned to re-testing everyone.

Lots of people had this issue with this doc. Not sure where he went wrong?

The giggling doc is bad news. The hospital would benefit from getting to the bottom of this!!

Good luck!

Please share how this worked out for you...