Dangerous minibus driver - what can I do?

simon43

This is why I don't go to Phuket. Taxi drivers.

Think about it. I spend about 200.000 baht in Thailand every year Not much for a farang, maybe, but I believe it's a lot of people like me, choosing other destinations for the holidays.
How much will Phuket loose because of these shit-brains?
Thailands biggest asset is the people, but they are also their worst enemies.

Edited by alven

If you don't know who to talk to in the police ranks with your connection to them and do anything from that direction, try another tack.Hit them in the front where it matters most- in the wallet.

Make postings on TripAdvisor, and tell all of your guests who have been treated poorly to do the same. TripAdvisor is a high ranking website, and USA based where you can say pretty much what you want about them.

A large percentage of travelers use it and read the reviews when planning the trip of a lifetime. If they get enough negative reviews and a bad rating, future customers will steer away from them.

and propably from Simon's business as well.

and propably from Simon's business as well

Happily, I don't have an issue with guest numbers. If a customer cancels, then that room is quickly booked by a new customer.

My guests realise that this is not a problem with my hotel - the same issue affects guests who stay at other hotels in this area. It is a problem with the minibus transfer service.

TIT what can you do ? Not much I¨m afraid unless you want to get involved with an aggressive driver , Maybe karma will take care of it in the end,

By the law of averages (particularly here with the amount of road collisions he will come to a fateful end. Sadly though his passengers may suffer the same. As you say TIT

I understand the taxi territorial patch system l/e extortion but

I have used the phuketshuttle.com service many times for pick up service in patong kata and rawai This service seems to be allowed to do pick up with out getting clubbed by taxi mafia....but your mini van ferry mafia pick up service may be more violent who knows??

maybe you could arrange through them a safe pick up place near to ferry terminal coffee chop

or somthing to pick up your customers for a safe trip to your accomadation.......could be an option for you....GOOD LUCK

Sent from my SGP311 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In the meantime, setup a personal pickup and delivery, assuming you got arrival and departure times from guests.

This may cost extra money, but losing customers also costs money.

I can assure you that the above option is a fast route to serious, personal injury for my drivers!! In Phuket, each taxi service (legal or otherwise) have their own patch where they are allowed to pick up from., - they can deliver the passenger to any destination.

The agreed pick-up patch for my hotels is the airport and Nai Yang. The last time one of my drivers tried to pick up a passenger in Patong (on a return journey back to the airport), he was physically attacked by the local taxi drivers. (I have the PG and PW news link somewhere).

There is no alternative to using the ferry minivans, so shaming is really the only option. There is a choice of ferry services to use, so shaming may encourage the ferry company to improve its minivan service, or lose out to the competition.

As a fellow Phuketian (if that's not a real word I just invented it) I sympathise with you. If you are in business here it's really not worth causing a problem with the Tuk-Tuks, the Commuter Vans, or the Taxi drivers. It's one of the prices we pay for living here.

As an idea you could speak to the ferry company about providing your own transport if requested by your guests. You mentioned the problems about invading their patches, but the drivers do not get angry about their passengers being "stolen" it's about the money they are losing in lost fares. The only thing I can suggest is that you compensate the Ferry Company for what they lose by not transporting your guests and recoup this by charging your own collection and delivery charges to the guests. Maybe even top it up their tea money by 100 baht a case. Then your guests will have a choice and the ferry company/driver gets paid for nothing nothing.

I will ignore anyone who says it's not right, I know that already, but anyone living here knows we "not in Kansas anymore", it is what it is. We have to either accept it or go home where these problems just don't occur. Even when the Police come up against them they lose as anyone watching recent events knows !

SDM

I emailed the ferry company, but surprise, surprise ==> no reply.

I have installed bazookas in the hotel walls, ready to eliminate this driver if I get any more complaints......

Then contact Claire at Phuketnews. She is always looking for stories. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1