Reloading Win 7

lagavulin1

Hello,

My question is on two levels. I have a two year old VAIO laptop running Win 7. I bought it in Germany with a legal version of Home Premium on a recovery partition - but in German as its illegal in Germany to sell puters preloaded with other languages (or so I was told). I purchased an upgrade DVD to Win 7 64bit Ultimate. This allowed me to download both English and Thai language packs for me and wife. No problems.

Come the first OS reload in late 2012 it took me about two days downloading first Premium from the hard disc then updating to ultimate, then changing the languages..

Now its time to reload. I think I can load directly into Ultimate from the DVD disc avoiding the HD partition but a friend told me I had to load from the hard disc partition on a Sony Vaio due to the way Sony handle drivers. Can anybody confirm that ?

If I could load Ultimate direct is it legal for me to hunt out a mate with a disc in English and load that directly then use my German Key? No flames about dodgy software thanks. The Ultimate licence is pukka and nobody buys a laptop with dodgy software in Germany !

Cheers Lagi1

In your case, it would be best to just bring it to a Thai Puter Shop and let them do it. Cost about 300 baht.

I take it you have at least two partitions on your hard drive...one for the operating system and one for the backup.

The drivers for your puter are probably on the backup and that backup would only install on your system. I am not sure the drivers for your computer were saved on your DVD...but that is not a problem, as they can easily be downloaded from the manufacturer's website.

I do believe your key will not work with another DVD... it would have to be a cracked copy of windows, in which case you would not need a key. And that of course, is not legal here.

I had a Vaio and could just load from the DVD no problem. Hope there is no Bios Password lockout. That happened to me, as I had a second hand computer, and somebody had switched the password mode on the Bios. Once I tried to reinstall, I got locked out. Perhaps you were given a password for the Bios. My only alternative was to open the computer, and manually reset the circuit. Taking the cmos battery out did not work. Messed it all up anyways.

Nowadays, I mainly just use the browser for internet..and play videos/music. No games, so I have a cheaper computer (EEE pc) that I plug into a huge LCD TV. Linux Precise Puppy is super fast, runs off a USB thumbdrive (no need to install). It totally runs in memory, so its super fast. Does firefox just as it would on Windows. A pleasure to load/unload. The USB thumbdrive can be utilized on almost any computer that can boot off the USB. Its a good idea....and save wear and tear on your window 7.

Why do you feel you need to reload Windows 7? whistling.gif

You can clean up your existing installation with software such as CCleaner. If you have some malware it can be cleaned up with software such as MalwareBytes.

If Windows 7 system files are corrupted you can do an windows repair or upgrade install from an installation ISO image, however the image must be the the same release as your installed system i.e. 32bit/64bit and service pack number. You can get the appropriate ISO images from Microsoft's partner, Digital River. The ISO image can burned to a DVD or used to create an installation USB memory stick.

Doing a Windows repair or Windows upgrade install won't effect your activated product key, your installed programs and settings, or drivers that Microsoft doesn't provide. However if you do a Windows upgrade install, you'll still have to run Windows Update several times until all the updates are installed.

To do a Windows repair you must boot off the DVD or USB memory stick. To do a Windows upgrade install you must run Windows setup when you current system is running. You don't boot off the DVD or USB memory stick!

Windows 7 has changed dramatically since the days of Windows XP, where you needed to reload to OS from scratch. wink.png

• Like 1

I'll offer two options. You can run a clean install, using a recovery disc for SONY laptops. It will tie in with the existing licence. No need to do anything more.

Second option is to install Windows 7 from the HDD Recovery Partition and then to use Windows Anytime Upgrade to move to Ultimate. No need to install using the DVD.

The story of the Drivers is probable nonsense. You can probably find them on the Sony website. Most of them are unnecessary bloat anyway, slowing the system down.

The disc is in your Inbox if you choose that route. But you'll have to install from boot and to choose Drive Options(Advanced) in order to delete and format the old partition(C:).

@BB1950. Thanks Note what You are saying. Its Ok as is but half of the OS is in German and half in English. Randomly app updates eg VLC download in German. The next one in English. Difficult for the wife. VLC is easy to change but life is too short. Also there is so many Sony "Enhancements" taking up space.

@Sirchai Thanks. Germany is my favorite country and I can speak it too but reading the OS jargon is difficult. Given that I wondered if it was worth the grunt to switch it entirely to English.

I don't think reloading Windows will solve your German/English language issues. Yes, Windows 7 Ultimate supports language packs but that's only for the operating system menus and system messages. When it comes to installed programs and drivers, the language settings of the system don't necessarily apply. They usually have their own language settings or keep the language that they were installed with, some only support the language of the developer. Some computer terms don't translate into other languages very well. Often times it doesn't make sense. Then there's the language problem with websites. Often times they don't recognize the language settings of Windows or use images in which the language can't be translated.

There are free programs like SlimComputer which helps identify and remove the pre-installed 'enhancements' or crud that take up space and use computer resources which computer vendors often supply.

Edited by BB1950

@BB1950. Thanks Note what You are saying. Its Ok as is but half of the OS is in German and half in English. Randomly app updates eg VLC download in German. The next one in English. Difficult for the wife. VLC is easy to change but life is too short. Also there is so many Sony "Enhancements" taking up space.

@Sirchai Thanks. Germany is my favorite country and I can speak it too but reading the OS jargon is difficult. Given that I wondered if it was worth the grunt to switch it entirely to English.

I'd just clean your system up, by using the "Your Unin-staller". I could free 10 GB of files nobody needed. Then upgrade to Ultimate, use Kaspersky and get rid off any possible viruses,etc..

Your system is only as good as the programs you are using.

I'd assume the OS jargon is pre installed in German. Shouldn't be a problem to change it into English. I wouldn't go that way to have some programs you're using in German, some in English.

Go for English and you know where you are. Cheers-thumbsup.gif

Routes you've actually been walking in the past will probably still work fine today. Not sure whether or not some of the suggested shortcuts mentioned in this thread will work for you. Some language settings, such as user interface language settings in e.g. install wizzards, are in control of the chosen system locale.

Sony Vaio drivers can be a problem when loading a different version

I have used Win 7 for 2 years now and never felt the need to reload

Try the various cleanup options mentioned above.