Thailand's location a boon for international criminals

webfact

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Oh fantastic story.

U see we are such an amazing hub, even despite all our hard work, criminals use our natural location to become a hub too. Its not our fault, we are just hubtastic.

"Hubtastic" - love it, absolutely love it.

Nothing new here. More hand wringing from the Nation.

The laws - mostly - exist and are - for the most part - very robust.

It's just that the pesky willingness to enforce them and the ever enduring spectre of universal corruption keep getting in the way.

sent from my hippo phone

Edited by arthurboy
  • Like 2

What an amazing article. Things have really changed since two stolen passports were discovered being used on the missing flight.

This was a story that should have been read from the bottom up. If I had read the last paragraph first, I would have saved 5 minutes to do something constructive:

"Though helping Malaysia look for the missing plane is a good, humanitarian effort, perhaps the government should consider using its resources to identify false documents. Maybe using resources efficiently and correctly could help solve several serious problems"

When somebody thinks it is a good idea to remove help in locating a missing plane to address issues that have been there for decades, they should have their laptop confiscated and confined to the kitchen to make coffee, IMHO.

Such BS

• Like 2

Perhaps the Nation might like to trawl through, for example, five year's worth of police arrests and court verdicts vs. convictions on this and publish a comprehensive infographic with some balanced case examples.

They could also report on any connections between foreigners involved in criminal activities and their Thai counterparts while they are at it.

That would certainly carry more clout, rather than this constant recycling of meaningless rhetoric masquerading as news.

sent from my hippo phone

The Nation is a bit like the Malaysian Govt., they want to be seen as doing something about the problem. But in real time haven't got a clue.

Nowhere is it as easy to make a deal as in Thailand, as the country's laws and law-enforcement operations are very weak. It is easy to bribe officials and pave the way for illegal businesses, not to mention the high-ranking officials who also have a hand in this grey business.

Tell it to the family of the Red Bull heir's victim.....

This article is almost wanting to suggest that all this is the fault of those nasty foreigners....

• Like 1

Common knowledge that Phuket is a haven for criminal activity. One of the reasons why the Russians are moving in and taking over the island, no different from their own country in so much that money buys everything. If I was a criminal, Thailand would be my main location, since to conduct crime here is very easy since the law enforcement agencies, immigration dept, government officials and anybody with the essence of being corrupted will certainly look the other way for a bagful of cash !

Will Thailand ever get rid of corruption ? Not in many generations to come !

• Like 2

Maybe its time to go "Singapore style" and up the ante on capital punishment perhaps?

But then again under the Thai penal code, the death sentence can be applied to 35 crimes, including drug trafficking and yet we're still the hub of drug and human trafficking.

So its up to enforcement which is lax because the enforcers have their own hands down the honey pot so if capital punishment was seriously undertaken Thailand would lose most of its police force and high-ranking military personnel.

Not a bad place to start I think.

Edited by smileydude

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What an amazing article. Things have really changed since two stolen passports were discovered being used on the missing flight.

This was a story that should have been read from the bottom up. If I had read the last paragraph first, I would have saved 5 minutes to do something constructive:

"Though helping Malaysia look for the missing plane is a good, humanitarian effort, perhaps the government should consider using its resources to identify false documents. Maybe using resources efficiently and correctly could help solve several serious problems"

When somebody thinks it is a good idea to remove help in locating a missing plane to address issues that have been there for decades, they should have their laptop confiscated and confined to the kitchen to make coffee, IMHO.

Such BS

I was shocked to read that Thai self centered comment. How self absorbed they are. preoccupied with their own delusional grandeur. Thais, oh boy, they are something else. Imagine if there had been a few establishment Thais on the flight?

Oh fantastic story.

U see we are such an amazing hub, even despite all our hard work, criminals use our natural location to become a hub too. Its not our fault, we are just hubtastic.

I wonder that the word “greed” did not appear in this article. Isn’t that the force that makes all this possible? But of course it can’t be the greed of Thais as they value “thainess” and high moral standards much more than profane bahtism.

Tourists generally come here for the country's beauty, and a cheap holiday.

Retirees choose to live here for the great weather and low cost of living compared to where they used to live and work.

Businesses come here for the cheap labour, and lax laws and law enforcement.

Once tourist numbers drop substantially, and the retirees choose 'better' locations to retire to, and businesses go to other countries for their cheap labour and lax laws, then maybe, just maybe, Thai governments may clean up their act to try to get foreigner tourists and businesses back.

But while tourist numbers stay high, and foreign businesses continue to work here .... status quo.