Five killed in two-car crash with elephant in Thailand

webfact

Five killed in two-car crash with elephant

3-12-2014-12-07-13-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Five persons were killed and four others injured in a car and truck crash with a female elephant and two calves on the road from Ban Bung to Klaeng district of Rayong this morning.

The accident happened on Highway 344 from Ban Bung to Klaeng at about 5.20 a.m. today.

Tambon Wangchan police said a speeding Pajero van rammed into a female elephant with two calves which came out of the roadside jungle and crossed the road immediately.

The van then ploughed into the roadside ditch. Three persons in the van were killed and two others injured.
The female elephant was seriously injured with broken legs.

As police and passers-by parked their cars by the road side to help, an unaware truck came in speed and rammed at the rear of a car parked to see the incident. In the related crash, one was killed.

Forestry officials were sending a truck to take the badly injured male elephant for treatment.

Hospital in Rayong said late this morning five persons died from the crash, and five injured.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/five-killed-two-car-crash-elephant/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-03-12

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I nearly rode into a elephant on my bicycle once. It was on a small soi in Chiang Mai being taken around begging with its owner around 8 pm at night. A grey elephant on gray road in the darkness is basically invisible until your right up to it.

• Like 1

I nearly rode into a elephant on my bicycle once. It was on a small soi in Chiang Mai being taken around begging with its owner around 8 pm at night. A grey elephant on gray road in the darkness is basically invisible until your right up to it.

Yes.. I almost ran into a wild elephant that way in the middle of nowhere. Very remarkable how something that big can be that invisible.

Very tragic accident more tragic some of villager set electric wire on their farm and some of the elephant walk inside and get electrocuted and die, accident can't be avoided but setting wire can be banned by using laws to enforce it anyone who killed an elephant get prison terms for killing wild elephant.

The sort of news report that if you told folks back home, they would find it hard to believe you.

That goes for many reports from here.

"The sort of news report that if you told folks back home, they would find it hard to believe you."

Why?

Most people know there are elephants in Thailand. Collisions involving wild animals or domesticated animals happen everywhere, so it would seem that an accident involving elephants and automobiles, while sad and disturbing, would be quite believable. One of the reasons elephants have been banned from the streets of some of the larger cities is because of road accidents that happened all too frequently.

People are forever hitting cattle, deer, hippo, sheep ... whatever. The type of animal and the sort of idiot behind the wheel may vary from one place to another, but the result is essentially the same.

Well, I will agree with that. Sometimes I copy posts from Thai Visa and send them to people outside Thailand. The reactions differ from disbelief to dismay to hilarity that some Thai Visa posters could write some of the stuff that appears here.

Edited by Suradit69

Sad to see Human Beings Lives and Wild Life lives wasted, because of SPEED. It is my understanding in Thailand, Elephants and Cattle have the Right-of-way.

I hope Alcohol was not involed. Speed Kills, Speed and Alcohol make it worse. God Bless !!

Jerry

I didnt read anything in the article that your god had anything to do with it....

the first accident is hardly an argument for Thai driver skill bashing as it could have happened in other countries as well (just different animals)

The second accident is plain stupid from the police to not mark the place properly.

good to see the elephant gets taken care of (by humans no god) and hope to see it lives another day back on her feet again

• Like 1

Sad to see Human Beings Lives and Wild Life lives wasted, because of SPEED. It is my understanding in Thailand, Elephants and Cattle have the Right-of-way.

I hope Alcohol was not involed. Speed Kills, Speed and Alcohol make it worse. God Bless !!

Jerry

Please keep in mind that this comes from Thai PBS which is a good Thai TV channel, but their English articles leave something to be desired.

When they say speeding it could also mean driving at speed. Once you get out of Ban Bueng the road is straight and fairly well paved. Normal speeds on this road is 100-120km.

However, it has shrubbery and trees right up until the edge of the road. If it is dark (5.20AM remember) and an elephant suddenly comes out of the bush you have no time to brake if it is 50 meter in front of you. Forget it.

Many years ago we hit a moose in Norway driving 100. Same. BANG!

You are quick to judge churchman. What does your "good book" say about such? Something about casting the first stone? Hmm?

• Like 1

once again we see speed taking its toll on irresponsible people but it would be good if the thai morbidity of having to stop to see bodies and injured people stopped as well. It amazes me when there is blood shed that people all want to gather around to look at it, what a pack of sickos. The only ones stopping should be those helping and why didnt the police put out safety warnings/lights so others were aware of the accident so they could slow down/avoid more deaths and damage.

Safety warning/lights etc., come on now this IS Thailand, do you really expect a show of intelligence in these situations.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

police showing their usual professionalism by not taking control and safely organising the scene of the crash.

How do you figure? Sounds ridiculous to make such an assumption.

• Like 1

The sort of news report that if you told folks back home, they would find it hard to believe you.

"The sort of news report that if you told folks back home, they would find it hard to believe you."

Why?

Most people know there are elephants in Thailand. Collisions involving wild animals or domesticated animals happen everywhere, so it would seem that an accident involving elephants and automobiles, while sad and disturbing, would be quite believable. One of the reasons elephants have been banned from the streets of some of the larger cities is because of road accidents that happened all too frequently.

People are forever hitting cattle, deer, hippo, sheep ... whatever. The type of animal and the sort of idiot behind the wheel may vary from one place to another, but the result is essentially the same.

Well, I will agree with that. Sometimes I copy posts from Thai Visa and send them to people outside Thailand. The reactions differ from disbelief to dismay to hilarity that some Thai Visa posters could write some of the stuff that appears here.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

How sad.

Have you nothing better to do old chap?

I bet this guy goes home and pays his Thai wife to let him take her out to dinner so he can bully someone in person who doesn't punchoose him in the face for his totally inappropriate insults toward someone who is thoughtfull, considerate and politely religious. What an animal you are, sir.

Jerry

Please keep in mind that this comes from Thai PBS which is a good Thai TV channel, but their English articles leave something to be desired.

When they say speeding it could also mean driving at speed. Once you get out of Ban Bueng the road is straight and fairly well paved. Normal speeds on this road is 100-120km.

However, it has shrubbery and trees right up until the edge of the road. If it is dark (5.20AM remember) and an elephant suddenly comes out of the bush you have no time to brake if it is 50 meter in front of you. Forget it.

Many years ago we hit a moose in Norway driving 100. Same. BANG!

You are quick to judge churchman. What does your "good book" say about such? Something about casting the first stone? Hmm?

Poor elephant.. One thing that really peeves me off in Thailand is half the drivers don't even know how to drive or handle a car. Anyone can jump in a car and start driving, low level skills and road knowledge + no common sense is a big cause of accidents here. Then you throw in some thai whiskey and there's no hope for anyone.

Then add in to this equation lack of driver training, the Thai-Buddhist belief system and the scene is set for disaster. I read somewhere (probably in TV) that 80% of Thai's believe that are above average drivers. Anyone from a Western nation knows this is the complete inverse of reality. Also add in the belief that accidents are fete, that explains why they stand around looking at injured people and not helping or administering first aid. The thought of getting injured on the roads frightens the hell out of me.

• Like 2

Poor elephant.. One thing that really peeves me off in Thailand is half the drivers don't even know how to drive or handle a car. Anyone can jump in a car and start driving, low level skills and road knowledge + no common sense is a big cause of accidents here. Then you throw in some thai whiskey and there's no hope for anyone.

Then add in to this equation lack of driver training, the Thai-Buddhist belief system and the scene is set for disaster. I read somewhere (probably in TV) that 80% of Thai's believe that are above average drivers. Anyone from a Western nation knows this is the complete inverse of reality. Also add in the belief that accidents are fete, that explains why they stand around looking at injured people and not helping or administering first aid. The thought of getting injured on the roads frightens the hell out of me.