Krabi recommendation

luther

We just got back from Krabi Ko Phanagan trip. Last time I was in Krabi was 2004 2 weeks before the Tsunami. Krabi has changed into a commercial wasteland 1200 gets you a dilapidated bungalow or hotel room decent accommodations started at 2500 baht & up comparing to Pattaya for 600 baht I could get was about 1800 baht in Krabi. Koh Chang is still 1000 baht for beach side with accommodations in good shape. Now Krabi is just a very high priced tourist trap. After 2 days looking for decent accommodations around 1000-1500 baht we just gave up on this part of the trip & went over to Ko Phanagan & had an awesome time for 1000 baht a night right on the nice white sand beach. Up kept & still in great condition.The timing is right for the island also it is very quiet there right now. Even sunrise was not loud. we couldn't hear any music coming from Haad Rin whatsoever. The 14th will be a full moon & will be noisier but it is like low season there now & accommodations anywhere are cheap & easy to get. A far better value. If your flying I would really consider just flying to Koh Samui & take the ferry to Koh Phanagan. We stayed at Power beach bungalows & really enjoyed it. Krabi is now a total burn if you are used to the way it used to be before it became an awful tourist trap.In fact the only thing worth seeing was the part of the beach in Ao Nang that you can walk out to the outlaying island at low tide. I was sad to see the change but the Tsunami changed everything from affordable to resortland without much benefit. I can book better accommodations in Maui Hawaii for less.While we were totally disappointed in Krabi we were delighted to be able to spend time at KP. Well worth it!

• Like 1

I was totally surprised that Krabi was not near the beach.

Had to go to Ao Nang for the beach. Was not impressed with the beach there. Took a couple of nice tours but that was it. Won't be going back.

You have to search about for a nice beach in the Krabi/Ao Nong area. All the very nice beaches are way off the beaten track, they do exist, but you need transport (land or sea) to get there.

I would disagree with most of the above posters.

Firstly Krabi is the name of the town but also the whole district is called Krabi in the same way Udon Thani is a district as well as a town.

Krabi town itself is neighing really special but has lots of shops, restaurants, hospitals etc. the best beach type holiday area is Ao Nang.

Dilapidated hotels ?

Somewhere like the Ascot hotel in Ao Nang, is a nice modern well kept hotel about 1000 per night. There are plenty of hotels and guesthouses in the 1000-1500 area. But you can a fortune if you want somewhere like the Sheraton.

As for beaches Ao Nang beach is nice if you go to the left rather than in front of the main shops and Noperatara beach (sp) is the next beach along and there are miles of sand and few people. Typically this is where the local Thai people go.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

I would disagree with most of the above posters.

Firstly Krabi is the name of the town but also the whole district is called Krabi in the same way Udon Thani is a district as well as a town.

Krabi town itself is neighing really special but has lots of shops, restaurants, hospitals etc. the best beach type holiday area is Ao Nang.

Dilapidated hotels ?

Somewhere like the Ascot hotel in Ao Nang, is a nice modern well kept hotel about 1000 per night. There are plenty of hotels and guesthouses in the 1000-1500 area. But you can a fortune if you want somewhere like the Sheraton.

As for beaches Ao Nang beach is nice if you go to the left rather than in front of the main shops and Noperatara beach (sp) is the next beach along and there are miles of sand and few people. Typically this is where the local Thai people go.

Correction.

Krabi is a providence which includes Phuket & Phi Phi. The mainland includes the popular tourist place as I like to refer it as (toilet) Ao Nang. Of which, just less than a mile from the beach to the north is where South Thailand sewers dump into the ocean & as one of the Thai scuba instructors pointed out, it's not just "sink" waste.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Correction.

Krabi is a providence which includes Phuket & Phi Phi. The mainland includes the popular tourist place as I like to refer it as (toilet) Ao Nang. Of which, just less than a mile from the beach to the north is where South Thailand sewers dump into the ocean & as one of the Thai scuba instructors pointed out, it's not just "sink" waste.

Wrong Wrong - Krabi Provence includes Phi Phi. Phuket is it's own Provence.

Correction.

Wrong Wrong - Krabi Provence includes Phi Phi. Phuket is it's own Provence.

So you want to think in defense. "Up to you", however Phuket gives a bad reference to the entire region or providence.

I agree with the different posts above, Krabi is a province which includes Koh Phi Phi, Koh Lanta ect... but not Phuket.

I m sure the new soi "boutique" between Nopparat and Aonang has plenty of choices and Nopparat beach itself can suit the op.

For the bungalows "on the beach style" i suggest to give a try at Long beach (straight after Nopparat) or even Klong Muang.

You really don't want to be in Ao Nang unless your preference is a "foreign version" of Thailand. Stick to the smaller villages, use Google Earth to find real Thailand & then consult the members here on your choices; & travel in a couple if possible.

Oz893

Have you ever actually visited of lived in Ao Nang or Krabi ?

I was just there & thought it sucked . I was there 3 weeks before the Tsunami & loved it . Now it is so damned commercialized that besides the touristy shops it isn't that happening. Kinda like the James bond tour. Only to find out the mammoth rock used for the solar panels in the bonds movie the rock is Gdoor sun! tiny little thing & then there is the tourist shops in the cave(I took the tour 10+years ago when I was there.) As for a decent place in off high season at the prices you mentioned in Aonang

to interior Krabi - Non Existent. We spent about 10 hours & over 40 p-laces & had the same answer when we saw the dives. I am a modest traveler. & Usually for 1000 baht all the way around Thailand will get you a aircon room that does not have stinky toilets & parts falling off. I would say that Krabi in general is nothing more than a transit point to go to somewhere that is happening. Koh Panagan smoked out Krabi in every area except the good food was harder to find. Once you find the night market the food is better than Krabi or at least we thought it was. The Roti is better in Krabi though.

Oz893

Have you ever actually visited of lived in Ao Nang or Krabi ?

If you "quoted" my post, I would've had a chance to respond in a timely fashion.

Yes. Spent in & around close to 2 years, though mainly based in Krabi Town with many lunch & dinner trips to Ao Nang. Visiting trips to Phuket & Phi Phi. As well as scuba diving in Phi Phi & outside of Ao Nang (of which I highly DO NOT recommend). Though, would highly recommend anyone visiting Krabi to do the two day trip to Phang-Na Bay (the most beautiful scenery I've seen anywhere).

• Like 1