restaurant recomendations

songhklasid

I will have my elderly sister & brother in law in central chiang-mai 10,11 april, any recomendations as to nice restaurant or venue that might suit ? staying around night market area, I was thinking of loh kroh road (after dinner) bar area with thai boxing display ? I know expensive but they have never seen, any suggestions?

regards songhklasid.biggrin.png

I don't know your budget or their tastes, but I'll take it you mean that the muay Thai display on LK is overpriced, but not expensive. It's a mixed bag, but it is undeniably a slice of Thai life. In the past they just came around and asked for donations into a bucket or box - I seem to recall a mandatory price being put on it recently, but I could be completely imagining it.

For dinner or lunch, why not go to The Marketplace right there on the river? It's easy walking distance or convenient tuk-tuk distance from Loi Kroh. Plenty of great dining and seafood places in Anusarn Market as well. You can also sit and watch the colorful folks walking through as you eat.

I don't know your budget or their tastes, but I'll take it you mean that the muay Thai display on LK is overpriced, but not expensive. It's a mixed bag, but it is undeniably a slice of Thai life. In the past they just came around and asked for donations into a bucket or box - I seem to recall a mandatory price being put on it recently, but I could be completely imagining it.

For dinner or lunch, why not go to The Marketplace right there on the river? It's easy walking distance or convenient tuk-tuk distance from Loi Kroh. Plenty of great dining and seafood places in Anusarn Market as well. You can also sit and watch the colorful folks walking through as you eat.

As a once off the Thai boxing isn't too expensive, I think 400 baht. The 600 baht ringside aren't really worth the extra. I'd go with Marco's as a good pre fight lunch venue.

Saw ads today for some event for which they want ONE THOUSAND Baht entrance.

Not surprising that many of the bars around the boxing ring are having none of it as they see their regulars disappear. So now there are big partitions all along the ringside bars on the street (soi) side, so customers who don't care about the boxing *show* (or don't want to pay the ludicrous price) can still get there.

My recommendation would be to pick a night where there is no event. Or just visit the bars that are accessible, which is most of them.

As for the restaurant I concur that Chez Marco is excellent for the price. This is assuming that you're going for Western food. If Thai food then you can never ever go wrong with the restaurants along the river, specifically Riverside and Good View. Also River Market is worth considering. This place is under the same managment as the Duke's, but the menu is more Thai fusion (but still definitely Thai). Some dishes are incredible there, others a bit more standard. Also mid-range (or perhaps 'high' if you consider it Thai food; you're not spending more than at Chez Marco though. And the quality is there, e.g. they do a Thai style 'yam' (spicy salad) with excellent quality medium-rare seared fresh tuna steak that is incredible; clearly that costs money. Also for example Kaeng Hang Lay, the Chiang Mai curry usually made with fatty bits of pork. River market does one with goat (I think) meat, which is objectively much better, while retaining the authentic Hang Lay taste. Again, that of course costs more than some bits of fatty pork, but not unreasonable.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

As a once off the Thai boxing isn't too expensive, I think 400 baht. The 600 baht ringside aren't really worth the extra. I'd go with Marco's as a good pre fight lunch venue.

They're now charging for the boxing displays? I don't go there very often, I think my last visit to that area was in July or August, but every time I've been there very few people were watching the boxing, most of the customers were there for other forms of entertainment. Are they trying to charge people in the bars in view of the boxing ring?

If your friends are interested in dinner with a view of Loi Kroh activities, there is a French-Thai restaurant called Mayflower in the midst of the bargirl places at the old city end of Loi Kroh (I think Mayflower is still there, I really don't make it to Loi Kroh often). If you get a table near the entrance you can have a decent meal for a reasonable price and watch the ladies across the street try to flag down and hustle customers.

Same advice I gave someone a couple of days ago here.

There is a Brilliant BUFFET Lunch, European and Asian every day at the EMPRESS Hotel 199/42 Chang Klan Road Ph (53) 253199 to reserve a table as it can get busy.

My wife and I, along with our daughter have been eating there for quite some years and it is always excellent value.

^ Mayflower had gone downhill somewhat. I kind of liked it a couple years ago, then quality declined. Would be good to learn if it has picked up again.

Sorry to read that. It's been at least two years since I last ate there. They did a decent job with water buffalo steak and I enjoyed watching the ladies across the street interacting with first time tourists.

They're now charging for the boxing displays? I don't go there very often, I think my last visit to that area was in July or August, but every time I've been there very few people were watching the boxing, most of the customers were there for other forms of entertainment. Are they trying to charge people in the bars in view of the boxing ring?

If your friends are interested in dinner with a view of Loi Kroh activities, there is a French-Thai restaurant called Mayflower in the midst of the bargirl places at the old city end of Loi Kroh (I think Mayflower is still there, I really don't make it to Loi Kroh often). If you get a table near the entrance you can have a decent meal for a reasonable price and watch the ladies across the street try to flag down and hustle customers.

They've been charging for a few years. As far as I know , a few nights a week they have proper fights, which they charge for and the rest of the week they have guys going through the motions slapping each other, which they don't charge for, but the donations box comes around.

^ Mayflower had gone downhill somewhat. I kind of liked it a couple years ago, then quality declined. Would be good to learn if it has picked up again.

Sorry to read that. It's been at least two years since I last ate there. They did a decent job with water buffalo steak and I enjoyed watching the ladies across the street interacting with first time tourists.

Right.. And I enjoy watching that too, but then I'd just go into one of those bars and get a front row seat. Not to mention I get to do some interacting of my own. :thumbsup:

Chez Marco is perfect, good quality, reasonable price and "easy" place for spend a dinner with family and friends. If you look for something "special", I suggest "La Favola" (Italian restaurant inside LeMeridien Hotel), maybe the best Italian restaurant in Chiangmai at the moment.

..... I suggest "La Favola" (Italian restaurant inside LeMeridien Hotel), maybe the best Italian restaurant in Chiangmai at the moment.

By chance would they serve a cioppino? Ive been dying or a cioppino, or a paella (spanish). w00t.gif

Without a doubt go to the Lemon Grass Restaurant end of loikroy road cross over Chang klang rd then you are actually back on Loikroy rd ( hungry jacks is on the corner) walk about 300 mtrs it's on your left a small white place, if your there around 7 you might have to wait service is very good food is simply great, TRY you will love it