To Christiane Amanpour, welcome to Yingluck's Potemkin Village

webfact

It was a fair and balanced report on CNN. It is no surprise that some posters will find that objectionable

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif .....what are you on?

Thaksin's payrollwhistling.gif

If he isn't on anyones payroll he would have to be one of the greatest losers around. To get your kicks from posting crap on Thai Visa has got to be the pinnacle.

• Like 1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amanpour is filled with herself. She's not the only one. The integrity of journalism today is held for ransom by the corrupt politicians who are being interviewed. The best interviewer See is Charlie Rose. His interview yesterday with Masayoshi Son was terrific. He asked tough questions and Son was great. Where he couldn't answer, he said so.

The BBC can also come up with some good interviewing. Even the "great and the good" whistling.gif, come up short when they are presented with "real" questions, here interviewed by Mishal Husain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzSJyFVQlTU

This is the first time I'd watched the whole interview and I thought he did pretty well against some good questioning. I did feel he might have defended himself better with different answers but at least he did mention the ROE at the time which is crucial to his murder charge. I'm sure many on here haven't bothered to read them before posting. One poster even said 'Suthep ordered the army to murder people'. That would make a short trial.

Yingluck was never going to sound as good using an interpreter who to be honest didn't seem that good. I've no way of backing this up but my wife says Yingluck's Thai isn't that good either. She didn't look like she was coming up with the answers herself. I wonder how the interview was conducted. Was it filmed and then the delays edited out? I don't know how well Yingluck is able to understand spoken English rather than speaking it but if she was reacting that quick she must be good or the answers were already prepared.

I did think the interviewing was a bit weak. A good interviewer would check all their facts first, starting with how to pronounce the interviewees name. The question about being influenced by her brother was particularly bad as it could have been answered in one word. 'No'. She did say more than that but it didn't have or need much substance. It would have been better if she'd been asked why she was chosen over all the other real politicians in the party and linked that to the question about Thaksin. The rice scheme was another bad one as well. It was referred to as the failed rice scheme which most politicians would counter with a denial and asking what evidence the interviewer had for that claim as while I'm sure that evidence will come it isn't clear cut yet. Much better to try to pin her down with facts and figures such as the reported 18% that went to the farmers.

The thing is Yingluck is never going to come across that well because she hasn't had the experience.

Maybe she should have been asked if the rice scam is to move the farmers out of proverty then why are the farmers in Vietnam making more than Thai farmers without a big rice scam to do it. Thai farmers receive 1,555baht a ton for paddy rice, compared to 3,189baht a ton in Vietnam and 3,484 baht per ton in Myanamar. The thai farmer also pays more per ton for production cost than either of the two countries mentioned earlier. It just boils down to the fact she has no good answers that are truthful or accurate, no more second rate excuses. They gave money away to buy votes instead of working on things that would have helped the farmers long term and also would have helped them all instead of a few chosen ones.

• Like 2

Christiane, I so admired your work in Bosnia but this time I think you forgot your journalistic ethics on the way to the office. Softball questions and no follow-up; how could you?

Yingluck, even your supporters should expect you to be more articulate in your native language, but you're not. You still sound like a ditz. Have you heard? Kentucky State called and they want their degree back.

On the contrary, many universities will be offering her an honorary doctorate as soon as this fuss is over..

Christiane, I so admired your work in Bosnia but this time I think you forgot your journalistic ethics on the way to the office. Softball questions and no follow-up; how could you?

Yingluck, even your supporters should expect you to be more articulate in your native language, but you're not. You still sound like a ditz. Have you heard? Kentucky State called and they want their degree back.

On the contrary, many universities will be offering her an honorary doctorate as soon as this fuss is over..

Sadly, you could be right. There are more than a few institutions of little note actively seeking the donations awarding such 'honors' can bring. However, on her own merits from a reputable institution, it's NEVER going to happen!

• Like 2

I watched it. It was a sickening interview. Yingluck was not pressed. What is it about her? Do interviewers just realize there is no there there and just afraid to be a "bully" to a pretty lady?

To be fair to Yingluck she is only playing to her strengths and you can't really blame her for that. She knows she can't hold a coherent political discussion but she can look cute and helpless and get someone like Jonathan Head eating out of her hand but you're never going to see Paxo or god forbid, Stephen Sackur let loose on her or else the BBC would be charged with mental cruelty.

I'm surprised that Shinawatra University hasn't already done so, perhaps in Humility.

Opps, sorry JR thought you said "Humiliation".

During World War II, a Nazi German concentration camp that served as a way-station to Auschwitz was given the name "Paradise Ghetto". It was another Potemkin village, deceptive and deadly.

biggrin.png

Wow The Nation does go Batguano crazy when the outside world gives a view of Thailand which they have no control over.

Better get used to it, if you do succeed in overthrowing the elected goverment and then installing, uh, "unelected councils" you'll likely get an opening monlogue by Jon Stewart and that will reduce them to a screaming crying cursing rage biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Amanpour is filled with herself. She's not the only one. The integrity of journalism today is held for ransom by the corrupt politicians who are being interviewed. The best interviewer See is Charlie Rose. His interview yesterday with Masayoshi Son was terrific. He asked tough questions and Son was great. Where he couldn't answer, he said so.

The BBC can also come up with some good interviewing. Even the "great and the good" whistling.gif, come up short when they are presented with "real" questions, here interviewed by Mishal Husain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzSJyFVQlTU

Thanks for posting the link to this interview. Mishal Husain does a great job shredding up Abhisit, and I wouldn't mind seeing her interview Yingluck. However, Mishal Husain probably wouldn't want to interview Yingluck simply because Yingluck's hands are clean. With Abhisit, PDRC, Suthep (etc.), there's too much low hanging fruit to pick, and one can easily back these clowns into a corner and expose them for what they are, greedy politicians who will do anything to get their snouts back in the trough.

Somebody still actually watches CNN ? I stopped sometime during the second Iraq war, useless. Internet allows for cross referencing of news sources practically in realtime, why bother with "information" filtered through professional propagandist filters.

YL is a moot point anyway, they'll get her out eventually. To be replaced with another Shin, unless Thais manage to eradicate the whole lineage.

I guess Amanpour has seen the writing on the wall. Make as much hay as possible before the curtain falls. "Everyone has price on his head" is what Thaksin always says. Award winning or nothing Amanpour also has a price. Like what a lot you guys say -"who cares about Thailand?" Yes thats true, who cares - same here with Amanpour she probably thought who cares it wont dent her so-called journalist credentials.

So CNN and Amanpour join the long roster of journalists and news media (Johnathan Head, BBC, New Mandela,etc) who don't understand Thailand, are bought by Thaksin, are hopelessly biased, don't have a clue about what's happening and so on. In other words, don't broadcast calls for replacing an elected government with a dictatorship!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So CNN and Amanpour join the long roster of journalists and news media (Johnathan Head, BBC, New Mandela,etc) who don't understand Thailand, are bought by Thaksin, are hopelessly biased, don't have a clue about what's happening and so on. In other words, don't broadcast calls for replacing an elected government with a dictatorship!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Reality Shock:

Unsettling or jarring experience resulting from wide disparity between what was expected and what the real situation turns out to be, such as the first day on a new job.

As in

I think a great deal of the critics of the western medias' reporting of the situation in Thailand will be in for a REALITY SHOCK in the not too distant future when this conflict reaches a resolution that confirms the accuracy of said western media reports.

At some stage you're going to have to stop the delusional thinking that everyone else is wrong and you're right, look in the mirror and accept reality.

That flat earthers managed it, so to can you.

CNN is a joke these days and no longer do you see it screened in hotels and airports across the world.

As for Yingluck....how can you have a Masters in English and not be able to speak the language?

CNN Airport was not screened at airports around the world. It was intended for the US market. The programming is specific for airports because it will not feature airline advertisements and specifically excludes graphic material that might offend pax (e.g. violence & sex). Airports that offer television monitors in public areas tend to use a national broadcaster (e.g. BBC in the UK, Bell Media in Canada). There are now many local news channels such that the airport lounges tend to carry those station, particularly as they will feature local/regional news and weather.

It's quite amusing to read the attacks on Amanpour. Had PM Yingluck not done so well, or if Amanpour had asked intentionally embarrassing questions in accordance with the Yingluck haters' desires, she would be the subject of praise and not derision. It seems that every time the PM is treated in a fair manner by a foreign journalist, we are treated to attacks on the journalist. Amanpour had nothing to gain from the interview producing either a negative or positive reaction.

The thing is GK that we don't want to see someone treated "fairly", we want the truth - this is true of any political interview (and yes I'd certainly say the same for Suthep or anyone else either). Political interviewers don't have to be as harsh as say Paxman, although that would be good, but it is the hard questions we want asked and answered. There should always be an alternative view too - especially when it is a foreign news piece as the general public have no basis to ground it against (this is sometimes permissible at home - say tearing Serah Palin apart in the USA a few years back - because those that are apt to watch probably have some grounding anyway and know who she is and what she stands for).

I don't blame her for keeping to Thai though - that makes sense, she is Thai (regardless of qualifications) and will always be able to answer and better understand the question in her own tongue. Even big's like Merkel, who speak fluent English, gave part of her speech in German in London earlier this year. One can't really blame her for poor interview technic of the interviewer either.

CNN is a joke these days and no longer do you see it screened in hotels and airports across the world.

As for Yingluck....how can you have a Masters in English and not be able to speak the language?

CNN Airport was not screened at airports around the world. It was intended for the US market. The programming is specific for airports because it will not feature airline advertisements and specifically excludes graphic material that might offend pax (e.g. violence & sex). Airports that offer television monitors in public areas tend to use a national broadcaster (e.g. BBC in the UK, Bell Media in Canada). There are now many local news channels such that the airport lounges tend to carry those station, particularly as they will feature local/regional news and weather.

It's quite amusing to read the attacks on Amanpour. Had PM Yingluck not done so well, or if Amanpour had asked intentionally embarrassing questions in accordance with the Yingluck haters' desires, she would be the subject of praise and not derision. It seems that every time the PM is treated in a fair manner by a foreign journalist, we are treated to attacks on the journalist. Amanpour had nothing to gain from the interview producing either a negative or positive reaction.

The thing is GK that we don't want to see someone treated "fairly", we want the truth - this is true of any political interview (and yes I'd certainly say the same for Suthep or anyone else either). Political interviewers don't have to be as harsh as say Paxman, although that would be good, but it is the hard questions we want asked and answered. There should always be an alternative view too - especially when it is a foreign news piece as the general public have no basis to ground it against (this is sometimes permissible at home - say tearing Serah Palin apart in the USA a few years back - because those that are apt to watch probably have some grounding anyway and know who she is and what she stands for).

I don't blame her for keeping to Thai though - that makes sense, she is Thai (regardless of qualifications) and will always be able to answer and better understand the question in her own tongue. Even big's like Merkel, who speak fluent English, gave part of her speech in German in London earlier this year. One can't really blame her for poor interview technic of the interviewer either.

The point is that this is the type of interview that could be left to Voice TV, owned by Yingluck's nephew, Panthongthae Shinawatra. Even for CNN viewers that know nothing about Thailand, there is no added value to watching someone read out prepared PR statements in Thai in response to planted questions. It would hardly add to their knowledge of the situation in Thailand. In fact there was no need to involve Amanpour at all. CNN could have got the Thai government to pay to allow YL to read that crap from the idiot board but that would have required the EC's approval.