Where to store US dollars in Thailand

I am going to Thailand to close out my SCB account turn it into dollars and if all goes well I wanted to take a day trip to Myanmar. The problem is that I do not want to carry $13,000 US around with me for a couple of days. Is there any lock box that I could rent in A Thai bank or somewhere to store my money?

Most Thai banks have "safety-deposit boxes" for rent. So worth asking SCB for a start. Sometimes a problem with availability and getting one though in certain areas/branches, e.g believe it or not Nana area around soi 3.

Depending on where you're staying there's possibly the hotel safe. Either the hotels main safe for high end valuables if you insist on someone senior being present to deposit and withdraw your envelope or a decent hotel safe with precautions. Probably won't work for a backpacker place in KhaoSan road as 13k could be worth more than the plan itself so an incentive for it to disappear. For a high end 5 star hotel of a decent international chain I might consider it.

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

What are you planning to do with the cash. Seems easier to transfer overseas than carry the cash. Also, why can't you close the account after going to Myanmar? It seems you want to close the account, convert to USD, store the cash, go to Myanmar, come back, get the cash from storage and then leave the country. I can't help but feel that you're turning something very simple into something very complicated for no real reason. But that seems to be the way with many TV members.

• Like 1

safest bet is wire transfer to bank in states there it is insured and safe from thai hands.

I've just realized that maybe it's ill-gotten gains and he doesn't want anyone to be able to track the money to the US. So wants to carry there in cash. Or maybe to avoid US tax.